Question

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
So I made a mistake and emailed a few agents at the same agency. One of the agents requested the full. Now another one at the same agency has, and it's only now I've realised they're at the same agency and from reading posts on here that this is something you're not supposed to do. So what now?

Last edited:

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the full requests flooding in!

Some agencies are OK with you querying an agent in the same agency once the first agent has passed. It depends on the agency guidelines. However, my suggestion: apologise, explain that you've made a mistake, and that XXX is reading your manuscript. Thank them for their interest. Something like this? "I'm so sorry, I realise I've made quite a mess of querying your agency! I actually accidentally queried XXX too and they requested my full last week... Please forgive my rookie mistake, and thank you so much for your interest."

I'm sure you'll write something better.

writera

Writ Era
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. This is good advice. I wanted to be honest with them. I hope it doesn't damage my chances with the agency.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I hope it works out for you. Good luck!

Before you reply maybe wait and see what advice others weigh in with, but I do feel that honesty is the best policy. It was a rookie mistake. Querying is very stressful, and I sense many agents understand that.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. Sometimes we don't notice that folks work at the same place. Best policy in this case is definitely honesty. Explain that someone else at the agency already has the full MS and, unfortunately, you queried both of them at the same time and you appreciate their understanding. You might suggest that they collaborate with the other agent as, if it's not a good fit for agent #1 it might be a good fit for agent #2.

Enthusiasm is a good sign, though. Even if you feel a bit clumsy about the querying process.