• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Excited! I finally found a comparison novel!

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
I'm only 22% through but I know it's the one!
It was a rec from the writing excuses podcast. I hardly ever follow up on recommendations, my reading list is so long but for some reason, months later I remembered this one.

It's a little strange actually, how similar the book is in terms of what I've tried to achieve with the voice in mine. The relationships, the protag and her hobbies, and the themes are eerily similar.

The great thing is it's a nice bit of inspiration about how to tweak my work and I think I will eventually try and query the agent for this book.

I know it's a small thing to those of you that land agents, publish and whatnot but I've been holding out for ages to find something I could draw comparisons so it feels really wonderful!

Ideally I'll find another, maybe this one will lead to it. Anyway, I've left my book for some time, feeling despondent. I've been piddling about with other bits and pieces and I think this is the motivation I need to get rolling again, once work has settled a bit.

Thanks for letting me share. Would love to hear how you found your comparison stories.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you found what you were looking for but why would I want to use a comparison novel so close to mine in theme, voice, relationships, protag, hobbies...

Surely I want my novel to be different - unique.

Is my understanding wrong or am I making wrong assumptions here?

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
I'm glad you found what you were looking for but why would I want to use a comparison novel so close to mine in theme, voice, relationships, protag, hobbies...

The plot, the setting, the characters are wildly different. I'm talking broad strokes.

ReignaFTW

Registered
Reaction score

Comparison novels can be useful in the pitching/querying process. They could highlight aspects of your stories when you have a limited amount of words to convey your premise, as well as show where the story could potentially fit in the market. Not always necessary, but could certainly be helpful.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I agree comparison novels are helpful with pitching but also with getting a better idea of your audience and how to reach them.

DanelleN

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! I've been searching for my own, hopefully I will find it!