Any Australians out there?

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Hi from the Sunshine Coast - where you all come to thaw out in winter!!

Heh. :hi: Mr BF and I are actually looking to move up your way next year, but we're probably leaning more Gold Coast than Sunshine Coast at this point. He's very keen to move to somewhere nice and warm. :)

Gerald_Johanssen

Registered
Reaction score
Hey,
American living in Aus here. Specifically the Wollongong area. I've just joined, care to share some work between each other?

Lolly12

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an Aussie but have lived in London for 20 years or so. I'm from Perth and I've lived away so long, I always feel like the stranger that walks into town when I go back.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
I’m on the north coast of NSW, moved from further south almost thirty years ago to get away from the cold winters and allergies in spring. We had a pile of rain two days ago and the view from my window is an expanse of water instead of drought-affected landscape. Now I’m in danger of being flooded in because my driveway is too boggy and a few trees have come down, but on the plus side it means that I’ll have a few days to write. Except the cricket is on the TV, which is way more appealing even though I loathe one team and have little faith in the ability / integrity of the other, so instead of opening my files I’m just procrastinating instead (only two more hours to waste). Oh well, I can always write another day, but our team of supposedly reformed cheaters waits for no one as they try to level this series...

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
We were ripped off by TC Owen. Got 120mm on the first pass and about half that on the second.

That's ... a lot of rain. Did your place escape damage okay? (I'm kinda picturing you surrounded by waterlogged snakes now.)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
It was a fair bit, but there was no flooding here. It usually takes two to three times that amount before the river breaks its banks, and it drains fairly quickly -- straight off the edge of the mountains into the coastal plain.

Down in Halifax (on the coast near Ingham), they copped 680 mm in one 24 hour period, which might be a national record.

ETA: Have checked. It isn't. It's not even a state one.

Last edited:

be frank

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
It was a fair bit, but there was no flooding here. It usually takes two to three times that amount before the river breaks its banks, and it drains fairly quickly -- straight off the edge of the mountains into the coastal plain.

Down in Halifax (on the coast near Ingham), they copped 680 mm in one 24 hour period, which might be a national record.

ETA: Have checked. It isn't. It's not even a state one.

Wow. I thought I heard that figure, but figured I'd misheard it. 680mm is nuts.

Glad you escaped flooding though. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Wingecarribee just behind my place has reached the top of her banks, but not overflowed. Yet. For which we're all very grateful. Quite exciting for the resident platypus, I'd imagine - if anything really excites a platypus. The cows are unmoved.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It rained like crazy here yesterday (west of Sydney), and we're getting more tonight. On the bright side, my new place has neither leaked, nor disappeared in a landslide. On the dark side, my gutters are useless.

dingo

Registered
Reaction score
*peeks in to wave hello to all her fellow Aussies*

Melb born and bred here, been living in Perth for the past six years, back in Vic currently, and moving up to the Riverina in a week or two!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick heads up for the Aussies I already know - I'm back! Check out Caitlin's corner in Office Party.

Everyone is welcome, Aussies in particular. :)
This is excellent news, Caitlin. We've missed you. :e2flowers

Last edited:

DMakinson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharpedit.weebly.com
I'm also on the Sunshine Coast and I can report that after what seemed like a month of incessant rain, the place is finally living up to it's name! Glorious day here. Greetings to all!

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
*poke head in*

Hi - I've just moved back to south east Melbourne from north east vic, and have finally started writing consistently again. Nice to meet you all!

kyliesmiley16

Registered
Reaction score
Brisbaner, but moved to Sweden in 2017! Last year was the first year I didn't set foot in Australia :O Hoping to return for Christmas. Felt so helpless hearing about all the fires which got plenty of news coverage over here - Mum came to visit in January and everyone she spoke to (-1 rude taxi driver) expressed concern over the fires. And now the wet weather! Land of drought and flooding rain ;) Great to see some happy farmers!

Prophecies

Registered
Reaction score
I live in Sydney :) Called Australia home my entire life- but I can see living a couple of years overseas, maybe France or Scotland. In my mid 20s. Thinking about doing some trips around AUS next year, would like to go to SA.

How's the cold snap treating everyone? I love winter.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love winter.
Me, too. I love Summer, too. Also autumn and spring.

It's quite the cold snap, isn't it? I didn't order any firewood this year, and I think I might be regretting that before the season is over...