NRA Response

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't put this NRA response to March For Our Lives in its own thread because I didn't want to demean or degrade the extraordinary courage, leadership and humanity from today. What those young people are doing is the very essence of Activism and Hope.

The NRA is nothing short of a morally bankrupt political advocacy group, and bully who will resort to the lowest attacks possible when faced with overwhelming opposition. And shame on any politician who supports them or accepts one penny in donations after this verbal diatribe.

Excerpt from their premarch tv broadcast.

The latest attack came from Colion Noir, a host on NRATV who took to the airwaves on the eve of the Parkland teens-led March on Washington, telling them: “No one would know your names” if a student gunman hadn’t stormed into their school and killed three staff members and 14 students.

Link

Last edited:

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
The latest attack came from Colion Noir, a host on NRATV who took to the airwaves on the eve of the Parkland teens-led March on Washington, telling them: “No one would know your names” if a student gunman hadn’t stormed into their school and killed three staff members and 14 students.

To which I RT'd a tweet that said, "That is the entire fu**ing tragic point, you ghouls" (by @_ElizabethMay, who also happens to be a SFF writer)

The NRA will lay low for a bit, entrench, and keep whispering in the ears of those beholden to them.

Anyone who knows a young adult between the ages of 17-25, speak loud and often about the importance of registering to vote, and then actually VOTING. Off-year elections are marred by only a 25% turnout for young voters. This HAS to change for anything to change.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This made me sick. As if the students are excited by their fame. As if they are happy 17 of their friends are dead so they can be on stage.

The NRA will regret messing with kids. They've already gone too far for most of us, and will sour even their base soon enough, if they haven't already. The NRA won't recover from this, and that's fine with me.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
There shouldn't absolutely be anything wrong or evil with people marching for stricter guns laws, marching for stricter gun laws in the name of a safer society.

Yet these people always manage to find a way to twist a good cause.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The NRA's power is being eroded by this movement. Emma Gonzalez, David Hogg, their friends; my own children (ages 16 and 18), are powerful advocates for a future free of the NRA and their ways.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This made me sick. As if the students are excited by their fame. As if they are happy 17 of their friends are dead so they can be on stage.

The most disturbing part is the notion that those who make this suggestion would indeed be excited to become famous for the minor price of 17 dead friends.

They are, indeed, the NRA... and they can't become forgotten relics of history fast enough for me...

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
This goes beyond hunting and home defense. People who are so frightened that they cannot venture out into public without their beloved military style arms to protect them, should just stay home and let the rest of us have our lives without the favor of their protection and the annoyance of their guns and blowhard bluster in our faces. --s6

Last edited:

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
People need to start picketing NRA headquarters and offices. And Wayne LaPierre's residence.

caw

Start? There have been protests all over and not only since Parkland (I've been marching and letter-writing and lobbying against gun violence since Trayvon). But since Parkland, there have been protests all over and if you can think of something they need to start doing, they probably already are.

I thought I saw a protest at LaPierre's house, but can't find a link. There have been protests at NRA headquarters, and at Smith and Wesson here in MA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...55346f6de81_story.html?utm_term=.8ba3cd2fc4c1

That was in February, and this was in March:

http://www.oaklandpost.org/2018/03/20/national-walkout-day-protesters-converge-nra-headquarters/

There have been protests at Smith and Wesson here in MA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busi...706877db618_story.html?utm_term=.1c9787af2142

Emma Gonzalez is now being memed and attacked for the Cuban flag patch she wore Saturday, including by a sitting GOP Rep, Steve King.

The item includes an image of Gonzalez with tears streaming down her face at Saturday's March for Our Lives in Washington, D.C., as she recalled the 17 lives lost at her school, Marjory Stoneman Douglas High in Parkland, Fla. The accompanying text criticizes Gonzalez' Cuban heritage, seeming to reference the Cuban flag patch seen on her sleeve.

"This is how you look when you claim Cuban heritage yet don't speak Spanish and ignore the fact that your ancestors fled the island when the dictatorship turned Cuba into a prison camp, after removing all weapons from its citizens; hence their right to self defense," the post says.

So many memes and attacks aimed at these kids. They sure do have the gun lobby scared.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
So many memes and attacks aimed at these kids. They sure do have the gun lobby scared.

Yes... and I hope someone's keeping an eye on the Parkland survivors and others involved, as it's too easy to believe someone will try a "Second Amendment solution" on one of them as pressure increases on the NRA.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Know what this thread needs? A musical interlude courtesy of the Motor City Motormouth and a useless Stallone brother.

Two titans of music—specifically, music that most people don’t care about much anymore—faced off in the political arena this weekend, with gun-loving “Wango Tango” proponent Ted Nugent, and Sylvester’s brother/Norm Macdonald punchline Frank Stallone, both offering up their attempts at the shittiest, most retrograde take on the political activism of teenagers Emma Gonzalez, David Hogg, and the survivors of the Parkland school shooting.

Nugent—speaking on conservative talk radio—gets points for going first, and for getting histrionically religious on the topic of kids who don’t like it when their friends get shot:

To attack the good law-abiding families of America when well known predictable murderers commit these horrors is deep in the category of soulless. These poor children, I’m afraid to say this and it hurts me to say this, but the evidence is irrefutable, they have no soul…These children can’t be critical of any of the propaganda that they’re fed and that’s just sad.

Stallone, meanwhile, gets credit for getting unnecessarily specific in his personal attacks on, ya know, children, naming both Hogg and Gonzalez by name on Twitter:

This David Hogg pussy is getting a little too big for his britches. I’m sure someone from his age group is dying to sucker punch this rich little bitch. Watch him run home like the coward he is. He’s the worst rep for today’s youth headline grabbing punk.

And:

Emma Gonzalez is another headline grabbing clown. She thinks she it she ain’t shit.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ted Nugent, a true American patriot. A man who deliberately shit his pants when under going his physical after being drafted during the Vietnam War so he would be deemed unfit. He threatened Barack Obama. Not to mention he's the same man who bullied a teenage girl's parents into letting him adopt her so he could have sex with her. Yeah, do say something else, you child raping scumbag.

Frank Stallone, who couldn't become relevant riding his brother's coattails, so this is his last ditch effort to become famous.

Link

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Anyone who can straight-facedly advocate child abuse because they disagree with a kid's political message is ****ing sick. Does he even know how evil, not to mention ridiculous and pathetic, that sounds? Beat kids so they're afraid to express an opinion.

What is wrong with people in this country?

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who can straight-facedly advocate child abuse because they disagree with a kid's political message is ****ing sick. Does he even know how evil, not to mention ridiculous and pathetic, that sounds? Beat kids so they're afraid to express an opinion.

What is wrong with people in this country?

I've been thinking on this more and more. I believe it's because they lack what normal people feel when they do something hurtful, and that's shame.

We've seen it everyday with Trump, the stupid lies, the belittling nicknames, mocking a disabled journalist or saying snide things about another man's wife - and he is not ashamed.

These people behave the same way and with each outrageous remark, it just becomes more evident that they not only lack empathy but they are lacking shame. Most normal people, if they hurt someone's feelings or behave in a way that is not honourable, they feel embarassment and shame because they care what people think of them. But these people? Not at all. How anyone could actually say the words that they say to these kids - kids who have survived a massacre - without feeling a shred of remorse, or shame is beyond my comprehension. They only back away from their words when it affects them personally and/or their bottom line and it's only then that they give the requisite apology. Most normal people wouldn't dream of saying such crass and hurtful things to anyone, but especially not to kids. But these people are not normal - and they are not ashamed.

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I've been thinking on this more and more. I believe it's because they lack what normal people feel when they do something hurtful, and that's shame.

We've seen it everyday with Trump, the stupid lies, the belittling nicknames, mocking a disabled journalist or saying snide things about another man's wife - and he is not ashamed.

These people behave the same way and with each outrageous remark, it just becomes more evident that they not only lack empathy but they are lacking shame. Most normal people, if they hurt someone's feelings or behave in a way that is not honourable, they feel embarassment and shame because they care what people think of them. But these people? Not at all. How anyone could actually say the words that they say to these kids - kids who have survived a massacre - without feeling a shred of remorse, or shame is beyond my comprehension. They only back away from their words when it affects them personally and/or their bottom line and it's only then that they give the requisite apology. Most normal people wouldn't dream of saying such crass and hurtful things to anyone, but especially not to kids. But these people are not normal - and they are not ashamed.

Well put.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
People like to talk about how women are infantilized by the media and in advertisements that seek to make grown women look more like children, even stubbornly resilient laws that grant others a type of conservators' ship over wives and daughters, etc. What's not talked about as much is how - while women are physically infantilized, men are emotionally infantilized by society and media, too.

The alpha male is someone with the temperament of a young child throwing a tantrum, or a teenager acting out in a rage like they haven't grown into their hormones, yet. They're not taught to share, or to consider the feelings of others.

The privileged male is painted as someone never told no, so they don't learn how to deal with rejection or even loss to someone with superior skill with any type of grace or subtlety. They're shown to have the emotional depth of a toddler who hasn't yet become aware enough to realize that not only is he a person, but those around him are people, too. No patients, as they're never made to wait. Entitlement, because no one wants to upset them and risk an explosion of temper.

The buffoon (aka the sitcom staple) is usually nothing but a send-up of Big, without the magic fortune teller. It's a literal grown man who acts like a child, and the women in his life are all mother-figures, even the romantic interests, as it's their job to make the man-child "grow up." Adam Sandler's made a mint off this character over, and over, and over. Huge mistakes are made, but they're glossed over like those ignored by an indulgent parent.

And in most cases, the backlash for suggesting that grown men act like grown men with consideration, compassion, and manners, is that these men aren't "real men," at all. They're losing their maleness by entertaining the idea of becoming a functioning adult with responsibilities.

And that's the crux of it - no one wants responsibility. They'll put it off on anyone else, just like a child. Certain organizations feed off this culture. They encourage infantile or immature behavior, while fostering the idea that said behavior makes the person engaging it seem more mature and more powerful. It's a self-feeding cycle.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Big brave Frank Stallone tweeted his bullshit and then switched his Twitter account to private, because...well...I can't imagine why. Surely it couldn't be cowardice.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
People like to talk about how women are infantilized by the media and in advertisements that seek to make grown women look more like children, even stubbornly resilient laws that grant others a type of conservators' ship over wives and daughters, etc. What's not talked about as much is how - while women are physically infantilized, men are emotionally infantilized by society and media, too.

You put it very well. TV tropes "parenting the husband" and other manchild tropes have become something that guys are laughing with, not resenting (unless, of course, it serves their purpose to deflect feminist discussions of negative female stereotypes in entertainment). The archetypal male (Peter Griffon, Al Bundy, Homer Simpson, Adam Sandler's characters, all those men who can't even load the dishwasher correctly in advertisements, and countless others in movies and sitcoms), has all the emotional intelligence, empathy and self-restraint of a toddler. I've run into guys who are proud of being asses, and who proudly cite testosterone as an excuse for everything from an inability to be faithful to their spouses to violent crimes (including rape), as if that lets them off the hook and even makes such behavior enviable. Enough Americans evidently have internalized this as desirable that we've now elected a toddler-man POTUS.