Slow R&R

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Hello AW, hoping for some insight. I’m wondering how long an exclusive R&R might last at most, assuming no time frame was discussed (yes, I know that’s bad). Or at what point it’s gone on too long… I don’t mean in terms of how long it takes the author to revise (that varies), but how slow the agent is at reading/responding, and how much additional revision they may request without offering representation.

(Since no one should wait on an obvious dud, let’s assume this is a top-tier agent, interest level initially very high, and their suggestions all spot on.)

Thanks!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generally, if the agent hasn't specified a time frame, it's okay to send a gentle nudge after six to eight weeks. Also, I'm not sure how frequently it happens but I've heard most agents only requesting the initial R&R and basing their decision off that.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Thank you! Was hoping to keep the question more general, but I see it’s too vague..

I’ve been patient for 14 months. I nudge gently every 6-8 weeks. The first revision submitted was followed up with additional suggestions for the opening. I know the agent is incredibly busy. I’m just weary, I suppose.

Somewhat related: I have a second, unconnected MS that’s ready for querying, but I’m not sure what to do with it. Should I bring this up at the next nudge (along with asking about exclusivity and interest level)? Or, query it and use any potential offer as leverage? Do nothing?

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
14 months from the follow-up email about revising the opening, or 14 months from the first R&R?

In either case, it seems an awfully long time, and I admire your patience. I think I would have pulled it after a year of non-response.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Sorry, yes, 14 months from first contact and request for the exclusive R&R. Correspondence has been intermittent. I do hear back, but sometimes it takes months. It's been 14 weeks of crickets since I sent the revised opening for consideration.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, yes, 14 months from first contact and request for the exclusive R&R. Correspondence has been intermittent. I do hear back, but sometimes it takes months. It's been 14 weeks of crickets since I sent the revised opening for consideration.

I don't think you need to withdraw it from consideration, but perhaps you could let the agent know you can no longer offer an exclusive. Then you can get on with getting it out there to other agents and not just waiting on this one.

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
14 months?!?!?! Way. Too. Long. Send her an email saying you can no longer offer an exclusive, and start querying other agents. This is just unacceptable. I’m raging at the very thought of it.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Got to chime in and say this is actually very poor form on an exclusive R&R.

Sorry to hear you've had to wait so long. However, I must compliment you on your patience (that is legendary!!) - I'd have given up after 3 months. I'm glad to hear you've kept busy and have written something else. Good luck - and I do hope you find an agent who is responsive and respectful!

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any risk it damages your (general your, not OP specific) chances with other agents, when this one is a big name? Feels like such a small community :/

I doubt it...?

1. The agent must know s/he's being a slimeball by making someone wait 14 months on an EXCLUSIVE!! Gah. They can hardly bitch to other agents and be like, "God, like all she had to do was wait 14 months and hamstring her own writing career..." 'cause their colleagues are going to side-eye them like crazy.

2. I would keep the correspondence with this agent polite anyway, even though I'm mentally shaking my fist and roaring.

I really think at this point it's very clear that this agent thinks nothing of wasting your time. I would politely but firmly state that you can no longer grant an exclusive, and start querying other agents.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't think it's such a small community, and I suspect agents have better things to do than gossip about R&R hopefuls. I suspect *most* querying writers fly beneath their radars... When I was querying, it was one of the biggest things my life at the time, but for agents, I think we're mostly just another delete or rejection in a week of hundreds.

However, 14 months on an exclusive R&R without feedback on the R&R, that's not the OPs bad, for me, that's honestly poor communication skills on the agent's part.

OP, if you're still hung up on the agent and want to give them a last chance, very politely grant them 2 more weeks to review your work - in short, pop a deadline on the exclusive. Good luck!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Is there any risk it damages your (general your, not OP specific) chances with other agents, when this one is a big name? Feels like such a small community :/

FWIW, I can't imagine an agent who hears "They rescinded their exclusive after 14 months!" is going to think anything bad about the writer. Agents are individuals; they're not going to side with each other just because they do the same job.

I also suspect badmouthing writers over anything other than rampant public unprofessionalism is considered Very Bad Form.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
Thanks so much, everyone!

I’ll be nudging again to pull the exclusivity—I like the idea of allowing two weeks. He’ll either have to make up his mind or drop me. Honestly, the long delays make me worried he just doesn’t have time for new clients (and won’t admit it), even with such enthusiasm for this manuscript.

The MS and my own craft has improved incredibly over the last year due to his input, so I’ve come out of this having gained a lot. However, the MS is also very long (fantasy and partly via his suggestions), so I’ll be trying to find an agent who won’t balk at the word count in the query. The next hurdle, I guess.

Let this be a lesson to others, always put a time limit on exclusive anything! :)

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much, everyone!

I’ll be nudging again to pull the exclusivity—I like the idea of allowing two weeks. He’ll either have to make up his mind or drop me. Honestly, the long delays make me worried he just doesn’t have time for new clients (and won’t admit it), even with such enthusiasm for this manuscript.

The MS and my own craft has improved incredibly over the last year due to his input, so I’ve come out of this having gained a lot. However, the MS is also very long (fantasy and partly via his suggestions), so I’ll be trying to find an agent who won’t balk at the word count in the query. The next hurdle, I guess.

Let this be a lesson to others, always put a time limit on exclusive anything! :)

Time to wrap it up. 14 months is too long, and GROTESQUELY unprofessional. Just send a letter saying that it is over, thanks for the time, you are now moving on. Spit and curse upon the "gentle" nudge. Gentle only lasts for 12 weeks and no longer.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I can understand wanting to keep him--high chance of sale with this agent, in this genre.

But he does rather need to make his mind up on whether you're definitely a client or not (what am I saying, you know all this!) Being a bit of a diva, him dragging it out like that.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
Thank you! Was hoping to keep the question more general, but I see it’s too vague..

I’ve been patient for 14 months. I nudge gently every 6-8 weeks. The first revision submitted was followed up with additional suggestions for the opening. I know the agent is incredibly busy. I’m just weary, I suppose.

Somewhat related: I have a second, unconnected MS that’s ready for querying, but I’m not sure what to do with it. Should I bring this up at the next nudge (along with asking about exclusivity and interest level)? Or, query it and use any potential offer as leverage? Do nothing?

Move on! It's unacceptable and disrespectful for the agent to ask for a revision, then not bother to respond to it. I don't care how busy someone is--this is just negligent. I would pretend this agent doesn't exist and just get on with submitting elsewhere, both the book he/she has and the new one.

Good luck.

Sparverius

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.essahansen.com
I wanted to thank you all again for your excellent support and advice. I honestly might have remained in a holding pattern without that push. I can now report a happy ending!

I gave that two week notice and ended the exclusivity with slow-agent, then began re-querying. Within a month I received an offer of representation from an incredibly supportive and communicative agent! :snoopy:

(Slow-agent did offer representation in the end, after the offer nudge. Along with more editorial. It’s clear we aren’t on the same page anymore.)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the kind of update I like to hear! Congratulations!

Isilya

Rogues, thieves, and knaves abound
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome. Congratulations!