• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

A New Dream, A New Idea

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Does anyone else have a vivid dream every night that has a good, basic plot + characters? And until the next night, you become slightly obsessed with it, thinking you could easily make it into some story?

I'm part of that group of writers who have "too many ideas", but I blame my dreams. 95% of the time they show a clear idea that can be easily converted into a real story. I enjoy most of them and would indeed write them. I write them all down in Evernote, with tags (that shows what plots/ideas/characters I dream the most about).

Should I like, roll a dice to see which one to write about? Combine the common ones?

To be honest, I feel overwhelmed. XD

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
All. The. Time.

Usually on work days, though, meaning I can't write until after work except in my head - and somehow it usually doesn't happen, between shopping and making dinner and family and being worn out and all that... but I do my best to jot them down.

My suggestion is to do as you've been doing, then dip into the grab bag every now and again and see if they still speak to you with the same energy and urgency.

The Black Prince

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriandeans.com
I've related this before, but nevertheless...

I've twice had very vivid serial dreams which I did not realise were dreams for some time. The first was some years ago before I was published. Over several months I dreamed I was reading a book written by a colleague at work. It was really good and I was vaguely resenting him (in the real world) for writing something so good first go when I'd been trying such a long time without success. When I got to the end of the book in the dream, I was so knocked out that it woke me up...and that's when I realised the whole thing had been a (series of) dreams. I felt embarrassed (but also relieved) about my vague resentment of the fellow and immediately confessed to him - which he found hilarious.

The second serial dream was responsible for my most successful book. I woke from a very powerful dream one morning and as I lay there still slightly awash in the shards of imagery, I realised that I have a dream suburbia, just slightly different from the real suburbia in which I grew up, against which many of my dreams happen. Thing is, the dream and real suburbias are so similar, that there are incidents in my life which I genuinely cannot remember whether were real or dream. The instant I rationalised that thought it immediately struck me as a fabulous basis for a story - which was published some years later as my crime thriller (Straight Jacket). No-one has ever guessed the ending (as far as I know) and even armed with this transcendent clue I still doubt whether anyone could guess.

Last edited:

GoSpeed

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rjacques.net

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I actually carry a notebook with me everywhere I go. Along with a pouch of pens/pencils. XD Some people think I"m weird. Whatevs. :p

Last night, I did this thing where I tried to organize all my tags. I wanted to see what showed up the most or what patterns existed for a way to combine/create a story out of them.

Here.

I miss having a writer friend to bounce ideas with. ><

Ji'ire

Registered
Reaction score
I can relate to this. I try and write down the dream right away in my half-awake state and then come back the next day and see what I can salvage from it. I've also got quite excited over an idea and tried to write it down in the dream and only realise later when I check my notes that nothings there, this has happened a couple of times now! Some of the things I write down would work as ideas, but most of them just make me laugh as they're so nonsensical. Stuff like "Vampire, goes to amusement park, talking fish, friend in outer-space" it's either a half-filled in shopping list or a cryptic message.

mmbmalik

Registered
Reaction score
I only occasionally have a dream that makes me want to write it down. I usually type it into my phone since my handwriting in a half-awake stupor is ridiculously poor. I have one I'm eager to write after I'm finished with the trilogy I'm in the middle of writing. It's a decent idea compared to my other dream ideas.

The best dreams are when I get vivid scenes of whatever story I'm currently working on, leading to new ideas. I've had several of those sneak their way into my writings.

B.G. Dobbins

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, I would go through them and choose a primary to work on, or perhaps even combine some ideas into one story. If you always bounce back and forth, you may never get anything done. Says this writer AKA me who never gets anything done. Try speed writing. That way you can work out a rough draft quickly for one idea while avoiding the inner critic and then move on to the next idea while the draft rests.

hayaku

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with dreams is that the brain can generate whatever emotion it wants, at whatever intensity it wants, and overlay this onto a very mediocre narrative. Since the recollection of dream imagery triggers these emotions, it becomes very very very very difficult to objectively assess whether that idea/sketch could catalyse those emotions in some other brain.

A very good way to know if dream content is worth using, is if you find yourself obsessing/thinking about a dream for days, weeks or years to come. If that's happening, it means that you have been unable to establish closure on the themes involved, and that for a very brief moment—your brain might have exceeded its own intellectual capacity, in forming the idea. In other words... bona fide creativity :)

An example: Hergé had reoccurring nightmares about being trapped in an endless white expanse. They so troubled him, he wrote "Tintin in Tibet" as a kind of psychotherapeutic exercise, after which the nightmares promptly ceased. Why were they scary? What's so bad about endless white, anyway? The Matrix clearly didn't consider it all that bad? None of that matters. What matters was that his waking brain could not deal with the depth of the emotions involved, which is a very good indication your creative project will be well-served in trying to encapsulate it artistically.

I keep a detailed dream diary. If I find myself revisiting a dream (solely from memory) more than six months after I had it, I incorporate it into my work. Only then do I go back and look at the notes.

Last edited:

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Most of my dreams have VERY common themes and places I could map out if I wanted to.

For example, I've had one where I'm a rich a girl, albeit a bit spoiled, who is the youngest member of an esteemed family - and I also feel like an outsider. I've dreamed about the same location with this set-up more than three times already and I could draw it out if I wanted to.

Some of them would probably be easy to connect if I sat here all day and tried to do so. D: