Status
Not open for further replies.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the UK.

A recorded voice warning me, and telling me to press button 1 for this or 2 for that, because my connection will be severed in x hours. Yeah- sure.

Prompted, I guess, by the news coverage of the current Facebook and Cambrdge Anlytica kerfuffle.

These scammers don't miss a trick, do they?

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand the OP issue, but I got a sleazy scam call from some company paying Century Link to have access to CL numbers.

I got a message on my voice mail starting with "Urgent! We left you a message you didn't respond to. This is about your Century Link phone service."

First off, the phone never rang. These assholes inserted the message on my voice mail without actually calling me. Then they went on impersonating being from Century Link when they are a completely separate company. They wanted to sell me a magical service that could block all spam calls, be the callers used fake numbers or other tricks to disguise the caller, and somehow this company could detect all those without blocking some of my clients. I doubt it. Probably they diverted my calls and asked people to prove they were legit callers.

That would suck with my business, people are calling for urgent medical problems.

And not only that, more than half the junk calls I get are from Century Link subcontractors claiming I could get a cheaper service through them (it's a scam, you don't get a cheaper service). Were these jerks who were claiming to be able to block all unwanted calls going to block Century Link sales calls?

Not likely.

Sorry, Rant over.:Soapbox:

Esmae Tyler

This & That
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wager that 3/4ths of the incoming calls to my landline are robo spam callers. My favorite is the one where I apparently "recently stayed at one of their hotels" and they want to give me a combination 7 day cruise/4 day Disney vacation/free airfare. Was I still listening after her sales pitch?

(Hint: never, ever, say yes. To anything.)

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Oh, goodness. I get calls from private or spoofed numbers 3-4 times a day. They're all claiming to be Telstra's Technical Office and are informing me that I have a problem with my computer. I occasionally engage. I ask them to address me by my name or to send me an email, both of which they should be able to do, if they're really from Telstra. Sometimes I ask them to identify my IP. I once asked why, if Telstra's equipment is sophisticated enough to spot and localise issues to specific computers, they can't do anything about all the 'ken scammers. But mostly I hang up.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We simply never answer the phone if we don't recognize the number. Ever. If they leave a message and it's legit, we get back to them. If a number calls multiple times without leaving a message, we block it.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So what's the scam? To get you to give them your credit card?

One way or another, yes. The scam is to sucker you into either giving them your bank account details, or giving them access to your computer so they can help you correct the issue via your computer. For payment of course, via your credit card and an unknown pay site. You agree to pay X and they take Y.

It's a common enough scam- it's only the reason why they claim you should be concerned that varies.

I've spoken to them on occasion and they can be really polite and persuasive and persistent.

Just for fun, I wasted one guy's time for quite a while before getting an absolute earful of obscenities when I finally told him to find another sucker.

Donkey

Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]I told a scammer from India that he needed to come up with a better line, because this one couldn't possibly still be working on people. (The one about being from Microsoft Tech Support, and your computer is infected.) He asked me what I thought a better line would be. True story. At least I got a laugh out of it.[/FONT]

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't tell me.....

Your landline is being compromised from California? :flag:

[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]I told a scammer from India that he needed to come up with a better line, because this one couldn't possibly still be working on people. (The one about being from Microsoft Tech Support, and your computer is infected.) He asked me what I thought a better line would be. True story. At least I got a laugh out of it.[/FONT]

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
So what's the scam? To get you to give them your credit card?
Not always. They want you to have some traceable interaction with you so they can charge you with a service - through your phone provider. That's either via pressing some buttons or having you call them back.

As for Microsoft Tech support from India or Pakistan, I tell them to wait so I can get the house owner, pinging them every two minutes or so. "Yeah, I see him. He's coming. Wait a few." My record is 45 minutes.

-cb

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
I'd wager that 3/4ths of the incoming calls to my landline are robo spam callers. My favorite is the one where I apparently "recently stayed at one of their hotels" and they want to give me a combination 7 day cruise/4 day Disney vacation/free airfare. Was I still listening after her sales pitch?

(Hint: never, ever, say yes. To anything.)

I get this one at least once a month, and on my cellphone (I don't have a landline). As soon as I hear "Hi, I'm Karen, and I'm calling because you stayed with us..." I just hang up.

I think the best scam I got was someone who said they were from my bank and were wanting to consolidate my loans with a great interest rate because I was such a good customer. Then they asked me how much I owed. I asked them "on which accounts" and they said, "uh, we don't have that information. You need to tell us your accounts." Yeah, right. If you're the bank, you should know that.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For those inundated with robocalls, may I suggest Nomorobo? It detects robocalls and shuts them off after a single ring. After we installed it, the nuisance calls in our house went from a dozen a day to nearly nothing. The service is free for landlines; there's a nominal fee for cell service.

I haven't installed it on my cell phone yet but I'm about to. The frequency of robocalls (particularly of the threatening "this is the IRS calling" variety) has really ramped up over the past month. Like others, I simply don't answer numbers I don't know, but it's getting out of hand.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We don't have a landline.

Depending on my mood I'll answer the unidentified calls. If it is the usual "free trip" etc call, I just say no, hang up, block the number, and delete from my recent calls list. Last week it was my MIL's medical alert company. I don't know why they called me, they're supposed to call my husband. But they are now identified in my contact list.

MM

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org

I once led a guy on for a while. Finally, I admitted I was running Linux. We were both laughing our faces off when I hung up.

My land line is history. Not missing it. Nothing but scams and one person I was tired of hearing from. :D

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
I used to get lots of calls from scammers. The last conversation went a bit like this:

them: hello, ma'am, this is BT calling, hackers are trying to hack your internet. I need your BT account number so we can fix it

me: what's my name?

them: ma'am, they're hacking your computer right now. I need your BT account number

me: if you were BT you'd know my name and my account number

them: but they're hacking your computer

me: what's my name? If you were BT you'd know my name and account number already. what's my name?

I can't remember how long it went around in circles like this but it ended when they hung up and they haven't called back since.

My next plan... as soon as they start speaking, if they haven't asked for me by name and I don't recognise them, to say "Thank you for calling Neandermagnon. Please be aware that all calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes."

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"We're sorry. All of our machines are currently busy at the moment. At the sound of the tone, you'll be forced to speak to a real human being."

BEEP!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Honest! :rolleyes No scam. Go to Post #16641 in Office Party, "Old Fart's and Pouffes Bar, Grill, and Hogewey Infirmary." View the photo and obligate yourself to send $3.99 to a program to help defray medical costs of old soldiers. :e2salute: No finer way to waste your money and take care of your scam obligations. :snoopy:

Free conversion of £ to $ for UK members (especially those in Scotland) :greenie

Last edited:

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: Duly obligated. Cash should be there in no time at all. Mailed it Pony Express to Chase, c/o AW, Old Fart's....

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
We used to get lots of spammy, scammy phone calls. Then I started asking the callers to sing with me, and dropped into a bit of Oklahoma! and just kept going until they hung up on me. And now the calls have stopped.

I think they were just shy about singing in front of strangers. Bless them.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I had another one today. 800 number from Nevada. According to this robot voiced lady, I'm being targeted by the IRS. I'm Canadian living in Canada. Go figure. The police is on the way to arrest me. All the way from Nevada, I assume. I need to call her back at a specific 800 number which was different from the one she called from.

*sigh*

-cb

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well, when you started belting out bits from Pore Jud is Daid you probably frightened them off. ;)

They LOVED that one. Also, the alto line to all the songs has a very special edge to it especially when it's LOUD.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That brings back memories, OH.

When I was a kid my mum and dad saw Howard Keel in Oklahoma in London in 1947, and came home with (I think ) two 33 1/3rd 12 " records of the show's hits. Fantastic stuff. I played the records over and over on a wind-up HMV gramophone (still have gram and records) with steel needles, and learned all the words of those terrific songs, including that splendid Poor Judd one with its key changes.:snoopy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.