Getting printed...

phantom000

Registered
Reaction score
It has always been a dream to see my work, my novel, on the shelf of a real bookstore next to other authors. Even if it was in the 'bargain bin' I probably would not care that much.

With more and more stuff being done electronically, I am starting to wonder if print is on its way out or if it is becoming something reserved for the ultra-succcessful authors.

So is it possible to see my work in print? Or is it something i should give up because it's holding me back?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It has always been a dream to see my work, my novel, on the shelf of a real bookstore next to other authors. Even if it was in the 'bargain bin' I probably would not care that much.

With more and more stuff being done electronically, I am starting to wonder if print is on its way out or if it is becoming something reserved for the ultra-succcessful authors.

So is it possible to see my work in print? Or is it something i should give up because it's holding me back?

Print is not on its way out.

You can pursue whatever kind of publishing path makes sense to you and meets your personal goals.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
An interesting point that Brandon Sanderson made (a highly successful author of SFF) is he sells about twice as many ebooks as print.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
An interesting point that Brandon Sanderson made (a highly successful author of SFF) is he sells about twice as many ebooks as print.

Was he in print first?

Then it's kind of immaterial to the question, as his numbers would be about backlist and also particular to genre. Romance sells a ton of ebooks too, but doesn't mean paper books are in any kind of trouble in a general sense.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
My post was geared to the OP (don't put all your eggs in one basket). It's relevant, depending on one's perspective.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

It's easier to see your work in print today than it ever has been. There are multiple good POD sites (Lulu, CreateSpace, to name a couple) where you can produce printed books with no up-front charges.

The question becomes how to sell them, publicly. But you can certainly print copies very easily.

caw