• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's the best online critique site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my limited experience, you're probably at it.

Not to say that no one does good critique at other sites, but here they're nearly all good in terms of making the writing better, sticking to the writing and not the author, and not rewriting it the way the critic would have written it if it were their story. No other site seems to strive for that.

Of course, if you do quite a few critiques you'll get more critiques, and there are many people here who have one or more behind-the-scenes critique partners.

tharris

Registered
Reaction score
In my limited experience, you're probably at it.

Not to say that no one does good critique at other sites, but here they're nearly all good in terms of making the writing better, sticking to the writing and not the author, and not rewriting it the way the critic would have written it if it were their story. No other site seems to strive for that.

Of course, if you do quite a few critiques you'll get more critiques, and there are many people here who have one or more behind-the-scenes critique partners.

Seconded (as someone who is still pretty new around here).

A great way to judge a communities critiques is not by how they critique your own stuff, but by observing how they critique others. Got to the SYW boards threads and read some pieces and then read what others have to say. I think you'll find some of the most honest, helpful advice around. People here seem to want to make others better writers.

In my experience, in-person writing groups are heavy on praise and light on real critique. Other online sites can drift into cruel, unhelpful critiques. This community seems to understand that drafts are drafts and that anything can be fixed and there are rarely unsalvageable works.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really not comfortable with this discussion as framed.

I don't think there needs to be a "best." I'm also not really interested in bashing other sites even by implication.

Different writers will find different crits, sites and approaches helpful.

There's a list of other writing forums here. Most forums have some kind of a critting area.

I know that these are some alternative critting sites:

http://critique.org/

https://www.critiquecircle.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.