Splatterpunk recommendations

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
Could anyone please point me in the direction of the most ridiculous, over the top splatterpunk books you've ever read? I'm talking rivers of blood and body parts flying, possibly to the point of bordering on absurd, NSFW, gorn, make me sick, go for it.

I read a lot of gritty/dark SFF, but not so much horror, to my detriment. I need some inspiration for a tourney scene in my dark fantasy WIP in which everyone must be facetiously, fantastically up to their knees in blood. I realized it would serve me well to do some homework, and closely study other extreme works in a sister genre with a strong focus on disgust, and all related forms of visceral squishiness ;)

I'm looking for the bucket of wet spaghetti and peeled grapes of book recommendations. ;) Thanks!

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, blackcat777,
What you're maybe looking for is the bizarro branch of horror and sci-fi.
For example Nigerian writer Wol-vriey has been drifting from bizarro fantasy and sci-fi toward bizarro horror in the recent years.
His early stuff is more lurid absurdism, but later stuff like Hell Dancer, Brainchew, Boston Posh, and especially Blue Nightmares https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/36324840-blue-nightmares.
Otherwise 'old school classic' splutterpunk would be stuff by Edward Lee and Bentley Little, for example.

the.real.gwen.simon

Nuclear Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
So, this isn't really my jam, but I have asked the internet and Goodreads has this list (https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/splatterpunk) of popular splatterpunk novels that might be a good place to start.

I will say that Exquisite Corpse by Poppy Z. Brite (About halfway down the first page of that list) is a good read, but you might not want to eat anything during. Or after. Or before.

Last edited: