Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Opinions?

<deleted - updated image below>

Back cover description:
Liam Collins never wanted to be a hero or save humanity; he just wanted to be left alone.

After centuries of war and climate change, the world’s nations have fallen and civilization is on the verge of collapse. Within what was once the state of Colorado, only two walled city-states remain. In the south, Pike City is at war with a loose confederation of rebellious tribes ensconced within the Rocky Mountains, while in the north, Flatiron City strives to remain neutral by selling weapons equally to both sides.

Liam works in Flatiron City developing the technology that is bartered to keep the peace. But his simple life and the delicate balance his city maintains abruptly falters when astronomers predict an impending solar flare that will end all life on Earth.

Under threats of torture and death, Liam is forced to work on an ambitious project to prevent complete human extinction by allowing an elite few to escape to the stars. But should only the worst of us be allowed to survive or is there a more radical option? Working alone against an entire army puts Liam in an untenable position where he must battle brute force with strategy. As he slowly draws and executes his plans, he wonders, is losing our humanity in the effort to save our species too high of a cost to pay?

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I like the cover, its gritty and the dystopian feel comes through nicely. It caught my eye and really reflects the description (blurb) at the back.

My only thought was who is Liam receiving torture and death threats from?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
It's pretty great, suits the tone, easy to read as a thumbnail, definitely eye catching!

Two small things that you don't even need to think about if you don't want to:

1. The "D" feels a bit low. At that height it could maybe be an R or a P even. Can you raise it a smidge?

2. I'm distracted by the figure on the left. What's up with the red covering their head? Why is it see-through? Why is the head shaped like that? Are they an alien? Is there any way to make it less distracting or more obvious what is going on?

But honestly that's really it, I really like this! :)

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It's pretty great, suits the tone, easy to read as a thumbnail, definitely eye catching!

Two small things that you don't even need to think about if you don't want to:

1. The "D" feels a bit low. At that height it could maybe be an R or a P even. Can you raise it a smidge?

2. I'm distracted by the figure on the left. What's up with the red covering their head? Why is it see-through? Why is the head shaped like that? Are they an alien? Is there any way to make it less distracting or more obvious what is going on?

But honestly that's really it, I really like this! :)

Thanks. This was the first draft by the artist. I’m pleased with it ... but (there’s that word) I’ve already sent him some changes, and the girl’s hair and head was at the top of the list.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I really like it. It's interesting and gritty and it definitely shows the genre. But the title doesn't get lost and is really clear too. Thumbs up for me. I'd click on it if I saw it online.

taraesque

Registered
Reaction score
I like it. Onecritique I would mention is the cover is very cut into thirds. There is a very distinct top, middle, andbottom. I would encourage the artist tofind a way to break the planes a bit more so it’s a bit more dynamic.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
I rather like the girl's hair just the way it's portrayed. Maybe tone it down a little bit, but keep the shape and color.

The title should be moved up a couple of millimeters so the D is not cut off, or bring the title into the foreground.

I don't feel the cover needs to be "more dynamic" nor do I mind its tripartite structure. I didn't notice that until it was pointed out and even then it does no detract from its impact.

Don't expect unanimity of opinion, OP!

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It was pointed out to me (elsewhere) that when the image is reduced to thumbnail size (as it would be on Amazon), the image gets muddy and confused. I'll be addressing this and the other concerns raised here with the artist within the next few days.

You guys are great! Thanks!

Shawna Doersch

Registered
Reaction score
It could use a bit of tweaking but it's all been addressed already. I just want to know when the book actually comes out? I added your first book to my reading list since if this one sounds good, hopefully I'll like your other works as well.

Good luck with cover development and what I'm sure is an impending release date!

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Updated the cover - still have a couple of changes to make, just small stuff though
Departure_eCover-sm.jpg

Thumbnail:
Departure_thumb.jpg

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Looking great!

One small thing, I find the tag line/surtitle really hard to read, the black on black. Otherwise, the hair looks SO much better, and I think it just generally looks awesome!

kevinwaynewilliams

Be blunt: I appreciate it
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought is to experiment with the colouring of the middle band a bit. It doesn't contrast with the figures clothing, which causes them to become a bit indistinct. A lake, perhaps, instead of your green misty toxic haze? If it's actually a toxic haze, then make it a bit yellower or redder.

I echo the sentiment that "Extinction" is too hard to read. That shouldn't take anything more than changing the contours of your cloud cover a bit to fix.

All told, you are 95% there. All that's left are tweaks.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Looking great!

One small thing, I find the tag line/surtitle really hard to read, the black on black. Otherwise, the hair looks SO much better, and I think it just generally looks awesome!

Already addressed it with the artist - he added a little outer glow to it, and it looks great. I'm going with it! Thanks everyone for your input! The novel will be out in June.