Money Values

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing a YA action/adventure story set in the time before World War 2 (1930's). It is set in Germany and the two best friends in the story realise their love for one another as the story progresses. I have a scene where a guard/patrol sergeant accepts a bribe from someone. What would be considered a good monetary value for a bribe at the time? Would say, 100 Reichmarks have been a lot of money for a soldier/enough to accept the terms of the bribe (which is to turn a blind eye)? Thanks

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Well, I don't know much about money value at that time, but here are some considerations: what is he being bribed to do? does he like or dislike the person who's bribing him? is he a greedy guy? All of these will play a part in how much he demands.

Tanydwr

Registered
Reaction score
Germany suffered so badly in the Depression that money was played with as blocks by children, so you'd need to work out the year and what was worth what when. A bribe for something the guard wants (tickets for a show, jewellery, smuggled chocolate, whatever) might be an effective alternative.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I don't know much about money value at that time, but here are some considerations: what is he being bribed to do? does he like or dislike the person who's bribing him? is he a greedy guy? All of these will play a part in how much he demands.

Yes, good points. The bribe is quite considerable, for the time. Yes, he's greedy, but more out for himself. Food for thought. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Germany suffered so badly in the Depression that money was played with as blocks by children, so you'd need to work out the year and what was worth what when. A bribe for something the guard wants (tickets for a show, jewellery, smuggled chocolate, whatever) might be an effective alternative.

Ah, that's a good consideration, something other than money...*wheels turning in the mind* :)

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
The hyper-inflation of the Weimar Republic occurred in the early 20s and the Reichsmark had been stabilized and re-monetized by the late 20s. The Nazi regime of the 30s kept a tight lid on prices. I tried a quick search for German consumer catalog of the era but didn't find anything. I remember reading that a skilled factory worker made something like 180 RM a month in WWII Germany but I don't have a source off hand. I'd say 100 RM would be quite a bit. This site lists historical exchange rates between the RM and dollar. In 1936 2.8 RM was worth one dollar.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
The hyper-inflation of the Weimar Republic occurred in the early 20s and the Reichsmark had been stabilized and re-monetized by the late 20s. The Nazi regime of the 30s kept a tight lid on prices. I tried a quick search for German consumer catalog of the era but didn't find anything. I remember reading that a skilled factory worker made something like 180 RM a month in WWII Germany but I don't have a source off hand. I'd say 100 RM would be quite a bit. This site lists historical exchange rates between the RM and dollar. In 1936 2.8 RM was worth one dollar.

This was brilliant. Yes, I scaled down the bribe to 20 RMs. Thank you so much