It's really hard to feel like continuing

rocoroca

Registered
Reaction score
When people are looking for betas, they almost all seem to be writing fantasy. And look at the Romance forum here. You can practically hear the crickets. But the fantasy forum is alive and kicking and thriving.

I know Romance dominates the publishing stats, but I scratch my head at how that can be, given by how everyone seems to be into fantasy.

Simple. You're on a forum for writers, not readers. Romance readers with no intention of publishing aren't coming here—they're too busy trawling Amazon for their next romance read, or chatting with their friends (online or offline) about the next Great Romance Novel they need to buy. And boy oh boy are romance readers voracious. They pick up one book, devour it in a couple of days, and immediately pick up another. Whereas a lot of my friends who read fantasy need to decompress and read another genre/something short after investing weeks/months into a 100,000+ words fantasy novel.

Lehcarjt

Been here, Done this.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.racheltaylorwrites.com
When people are looking for betas, they almost all seem to be writing fantasy. And look at the Romance forum here. You can practically hear the crickets. But the fantasy forum is alive and kicking and thriving.

I know Romance dominates the publishing stats, but I scratch my head at how that can be, given by how everyone seems to be into fantasy.

That says more about Absolute Write demographics than it does about book sales. The largest, most supportive (to unpubbled writers especially), most active writers' group in the US is Romance Writer's of America. They have in-person chapters in all parts of the US and a huge national conference. Back when I was involved, the age swung a tad older than one would find on the internet. Most writers were in their 40s+ with jobs/careers already settled and were writing as a long-held dream. Based on QLH, I'd say Absolute Write has a much, much, much younger demographic, with more interested in Fantasy and YA.