Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
So...resonance is subjective. The more popular the theme the more chance it has to resonate. Like love, money or health for example, many of us can identify with them. If we overcome difficulties associated with those themes it resonates and induces a feel-good factor. If we fail to conquer them, it resonates more powerfully, but with far fewer people.

Do you think that tragic stories, or at least stories of failure to overcome adversity, have more resonant potential than positive ones? That’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure what I think of it. This, too, might vary with the individual, but in quickly reviewing some of the books that have struck me most deeply, I think there is more nuance in them. The characters do overcome adversity and reach a hopeful note, but not without cost.

Stein’s book, which is what started me thinking about this concept, holds itself out as a sort of manual for producing writing of publishable quality. That’s part of why the resonance chapter stumped me. For most of the concepts he talks about in the book, there are exercises you can do, specific questions to ask yourself, things to think about. Not to overstate the mechanical aspects of writing with this metaphor, but there are levers one can pull and knobs to turn to improve characterization or tension or the tightness of one’s writing.

But you can’t just inject resonance into your work by writing a story involving love, or money, or health. The world is full of flabby, uninteresting stories that involve these things. There’s more to it than that. It’s like I said above, even the resonance-inducing techniques Stein does mention seem to me capable of going disastrously wrong as often as not.

So is making your story resonant something you can even do intentionally as a writer?

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're interested The Emotional Craft of Fiction by Donald Maas is an excellent read.

Funny you should mention this. I read this book in December and started it again a few days ago. I think (to add to my previous post) you are suggesting that there is an intentional lever one can pull - choose a theme with the potential to resonate deeply, and use emotional craft to help make it do that. It’s an interesting idea. Maass’s techniques bring out the scene-by-scene ratcheting of emotion, but of course if you don’t have that, you won’t have the broader impact either. And I think he does also talk about the use of theme to strike emotions, later in the book. That’s something to think about.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
There isn't really anything a writer can do with a universal theme—love or money, for example—until they develop a central idea or concept based on the universal theme. Take love, for instance; it's kind of meh by itself, so it's what you have to say about it that matters. You could go with "a mother's love", but you'd need more—possibly sacrifice, as an example. Or, you could go with "love conquers all". Even better (possibly) would be "love conquers all, except when it doesn't". That central concept will be where the writer instills the emotions that develop the concept (either positive or negative). Care in making word choices will hopefully evoke emotions in the reader. How well the writer evokes emotion in the reader will then determine whether the work resonates with that reader. So, yes, there are buttons that can be pushed. The only thing a writer can hope to do is envoke emotion; the kind of emotion is pretty much a crapshoot. And that's okay, as long as you make your reader feel something. And remember your book. And talk about it.

boatman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abargeatlarge.co.uk
Do you think that tragic stories, or at least stories of failure to overcome adversity, have more resonant potential than positive ones? That’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure what I think of it. This, too, might vary with the individual, but in quickly reviewing some of the books that have struck me most deeply, I think there is more nuance in them. The characters do overcome adversity and reach a hopeful note, but not without cost.

Stein’s book, which is what started me thinking about this concept, holds itself out as a sort of manual for producing writing of publishable quality. That’s part of why the resonance chapter stumped me. For most of the concepts he talks about in the book, there are exercises you can do, specific questions to ask yourself, things to think about. Not to overstate the mechanical aspects of writing with this metaphor, but there are levers one can pull and knobs to turn to improve characterization or tension or the tightness of one’s writing.

But you can’t just inject resonance into your work by writing a story involving love, or money, or health. The world is full of flabby, uninteresting stories that involve these things. There’s more to it than that. It’s like I said above, even the resonance-inducing techniques Stein does mention seem to me capable of going disastrously wrong as often as not.

So is making your story resonant something you can even do intentionally as a writer?

I'm currently reading True Blue by David Baldacci. There are 3 lead female characters - all strong in their own way. One of them REALLY pushes my buttons. She's a manipulative egotist, thoroughly self-serving and a bully. I hate her! I've not finished the book yet (80%) but I know that she will get her comeuppance - at least I hope so. If she does crash and burn I'll be happy of course but however happy I ultimately feel, when I look back on the book, my strongest feelings will be when she was at her most horrid.
In life, the underdog often loses. If this book doesn't finish the way I expect it will resonate more with me than a 'happy' ending.
Have I been bullied? Well, no, not really, but what the author has (skillfully) done is create a situation that resonates with me. In fact, perhaps I should stop reading now because I want to hate her!

Status
Not open for further replies.