Hello, Friendly Internet Strangers!

Crowned in Fireflies

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, AW.

I just recently joined this site, and this is my first post. I enjoy all kinds of stories, mainly fiction, in all their forms (books, movies, TV shows, video games, etc.) though science-fiction is my preferred genre. I tend to write SF and a bit of fantasy. I very much value originality, compelling characters, the beautiful, the philosophical, the sexual, and the bizarre. I'm sure that already sounds very pretentious, lol. I also like trying to understand what makes good stories work.

I started out writing short stories, but I've been doing much longer ones for the past few years. I finished a HP Lovecraft-inspired supernatural suspense novella a few years ago, but I never submitted it for publication. I wanted to get some emotional distance from it to more objectively see its flaws and the ways I need to rewrite it.

I have written a small bit of fanfiction before, generally when I'm very invested in a story's world and find an untouched aspect of it that I'd like to see explored. I don't have much desire or patience to do non-canon explorations of another's worlds, so fanfiction I write tend to be very short, if I bother doing it at all.

I recently finished my first draft of a far-future SF novel. It's essentially about the conflicts between members of a space-set aristocracy as well as those outside it. I am very serious about trying to make this one as best as it can be so I can try to get it published.

I knew about this site for a long while now, but my motivation for joining was completing the first draft of the aforementioned SF novel. I'm currently looking for beta reader victims to subject to my manuscript. I'm also open to being a beta reader, assuming that the subject of the manuscript interests me.

This is my second time typing up most of this because I got signed out, and the auto-save only captured a few sentences. I hope it works this time.

Last edited:

Laidmason

Registered
Reaction score
Hey

If you don't mind me asking,what's your favorite book or tv show

Do you have like a top 5 or something like that??:D:D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Fireflies, best of luck going forward with your projects. Hope it works out for you.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Appears like you have everything well in hand for membership here and writing anywhere. :greenie

:welcome:, Crowned.

Your full username requires four ASL signs, but it's descriptive and fun. Just "crown" itself is large "C" signs made with both hands held slightly above your head and settled downward as if crowning yourself. :e2crown:

Crowned in Fireflies

Registered
Reaction score
Hey

If you don't mind me asking,what's your favorite book or tv show

Do you have like a top 5 or something like that??:D:D

My favorite anything is still probably The Matrix. Nothing has ever made me feel the way it did when I first saw it. I don't like trying to organize the things I like into lists because there's always something more I want to add, so lists will stretch into dozens. Something recent that's on my mind is the movie Annihilation. I saw it in theaters, and I really enjoyed it (it was like a painting in motion). The most recent book I've read was Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut, which I did enjoy.

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
wow im so old i remember when fire flies where everywhere in huge clouds at night!

good luck with the scifi
do you plan on making allegories with today's governments
or governments from the past, like the roman empire or the sacrifice all we can aztecs
welcome to the site
and ill be happy to swap manuscripts with you as beta readers.
ive got two im ready to show and shop around and two others that need more words
my thing is ive got 7 screenplays finished. ok honestly 6 finished and one needs more dialogue in the fourth act
and i turned 4 into books but there short for todays publishers. two of them are too short

best wishes and i hope to hear from you soon, fortunately for me i have all day to make the rest of my 50 posts to put up my books for critique
Christoph

rawan

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also new-- welcome! Your far-future sci-fi story sounds cool; I think it's fun to explore class divisions through SFF. I also write fantasy and science fiction but with the ratio flipped: mostly fantasy and some science fiction :D I'd be willing to beta read your manuscript if you need anyone!