• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

When to describe characters

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure when to give a physical description of my main characters. With all the other characters, I describe their appearance when I first introduce them. But briefly, so it's not an infodump/filler. Unfortunately, I couldn't make this approach work for my MCs. I tried, but it just felt forced. So instead I've sprinkled references to their descriptions throughout the text ('there were bruises on her small body' 'her curly hair was wet,', etc.). I know this isn't a case of 'one size fits all' and different approaches work better for different people. I'm a very visual person, and I enjoy describing my characters, but I want it to fit into the story and not seem like fluff or filler.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
If they're human and caucasion, I don't describe them. Readers will default to 30s able bodied white guy with dark hair, in lieu of description. So if your character looks like that, they never need a jot about them ;-)

If they're not caucasian, I find a way to slip in skin colour asap (same deal for not able bodied, or some other deviation from the normal 'bias' that readers tend to have).

If they're not human, well, I've just been upfront with description. Actually, I asked an industry editor about this recently, because he was kinda down on how I'd done it. one of those public post critique situations, you see. Now waiting for an answer. Will let you know what he says. In SFF I think youc an get away with it though. Like it's more important to note that your protagonist has tentacles and fluorescent skin, asap, or readers get quite annoyed to discover that at some point in chapter 2.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As early as possible, and presumably the description is conveying information that is either necessary now because you want the reader to get a specific image, or to note something about them - a particular feature - or something that will be relevant later.

Readers will form their own images as they read, and it's jarring to imagine a character and then find x chapters later that they look (or are dressed) totally differently to what was imagined.

If the description is of a non-POV character, what does the POV character notice when he first meets the other character? May not be much at all - depending upon how they meet.

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure when to give a physical description of my main characters. With all the other characters, I describe their appearance when I first introduce them. But briefly, so it's not an infodump/filler. Unfortunately, I couldn't make this approach work for my MCs. I tried, but it just felt forced. So instead I've sprinkled references to their descriptions throughout the text ('there were bruises on her small body' 'her curly hair was wet,', etc.). I know this isn't a case of 'one size fits all' and different approaches work better for different people. I'm a very visual person, and I enjoy describing my characters, but I want it to fit into the story and not seem like fluff or filler.

What you've done sounds fine to me. It's harder, obviously, to describe a character while in POV, but it can be done discreetly.

Unlike some readers, I do appreciate character descriptions. Otherwise it's like watching a movie with all the faces pixelated. Of course I can make up a description in my own mind but that feels...made up. And it will keep shifting, which is annoying. I'd rather the author gave me some clues.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
What you've done sounds fine to me. It's harder, obviously, to describe a character while in POV, but it can be done discreetly.

Unlike some readers, I do appreciate character descriptions. Otherwise it's like watching a movie with all the faces pixelated. Of course I can make up a description in my own mind but that feels...made up. And it will keep shifting, which is annoying. I'd rather the author gave me some clues.

I feel much the same way! Don't get me wrong, there are some stories where this approach works very well; but I don't want my characters to seem like physical 'blank slates'. But I also don't want it to seem like I don't trust the readers either. It's such a hard thing to gauge.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
Briefly when you first run into them is great. I also, if a detail is important, I make sure the POV character notices it almost every time that character shows up. For the MC... descriptions become a little harder. I've kinda opted out on mine, because I have the character going over a fake ID of herself, making sure everything is up to par with her appearance. Another one I had an MC read her hospital wristband, which admittedly I added some information to, like hair color and eye color.

For first person, I cheated and swapped pov for a couple of chapters and described her through someone else's eyes.

Your other approaches, cuts along her small body, her curly hair molded to her skull, I also utilize most times for MC descriptions when the swapping POV and the ID reveal don't fit with the story.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with a previous poster that if you are going to describe do it sooner than later. If an author tries to tell me what the character looks like too late I usually ignore all mention of description and keep the character in my mind how I want them to look. I'm assuming you are writing in 1st pov and this is why you are struggling? You could accomplish what he/she looks like through internal dialogue.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with a previous poster that if you are going to describe do it sooner than later. If an author tries to tell me what the character looks like too late I usually ignore all mention of description and keep the character in my mind how I want them to look. I'm assuming you are writing in 1st pov and this is why you are struggling? You could accomplish what he/she looks like through internal dialogue.

No, I'm writing in the third-person limited. :) I should have made that clearer.

blackcat777

Registered
Reaction score
If it's a POV character, what does that POV character's presentation say about their state of mind?

Is it a hot summer day and your character is annoyed because they forgot to put product in their hair, now it's frizzy, and they have to impress someone? Does the character have a feature that makes them self-conscious? Did your character have to cut an extra hole in a belt so it's not too loose/too tight?

I do think it's important to establish the defining features you want the reader to know in the introductory scene. Sprinkling the info is good, and if you can weave it into the character's relationship with self/world/plot/conflict, even better.

Some Lonely Scorpio

Registered
Reaction score
That's the thing. It wouldn't make much sense to describe the POV character's appearance immediately unless they're supposed to be vain. Or maybe if they've suffered a relevant injury of some sort, etc. Which is why I've been using the approach I have.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
. But I also don't want it to seem like I don't trust the readers either.

IMO, whether or not you describe characters has zero to do with trusting the reader. The two have nothing to do with one another.

Trust between reader and author only comes into play when you're needing to express a theme or place a trail of clues or show an emotion, and you want to avoid overexplaining and instead need to trust your reader to understand what's going on without being hit over the head with it. Or in a larger sense, the reader must trust the author to deliver on the proper resolution of the story.

Last edited:

BLMN

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a book right now that is driving me mad with the infuriating descriptions of eye and hair color. If it's crucial tell me, otherwise leave me to my fantasies.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm the same as BLMN, unless it is relevant to the story or the scene, I don't like pointless descriptions just for the purpose of letting me know how the writer imagine that character. If it's not relevant then, I prefer the writer not bother with description and I can make them up in my mind. Pointless descriptions, just slow or stop the pace of the narrative when I read.