Biography as a third person

johnalia

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Before you read my question, please excuse my stupid assumptions I have used in the question but it is only to make you better understandable.

So I am planning to write my biography particularly from the past 10 years of my life. A lot of things happened during this time and has an impact on my personality similar of the global warming on our planet. :D Since I write only play scripts and have no past experience in writing book especially as a 3rd person, therefore I would like to have your wonderful advice particularly on the following question.

1). How would I mention or I should mention, those scenes from the past, I mean I know it happened to me in some whatever situation and now since I am telling that particular event as an outsider, how would I lay down what was happening in my mind during that time? As I am the main character do I need to mention my inner feelings or should I just say for example '' his heart was running as along with the train but he managed to keep strict look on his face. Any sign of fear on his face and he will be beaten to death those surrounding him''.

I know this is not very classic way to express myself but I hope you understand. Please share your thoughts or whatever you would like to say and I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Regards,
John

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If the events happened to you, I would far rather read and share your experiences through a First person version.

Why distance me from the experience?

I wouldn't think having written playscripts would be any handicap, and First Person is effectively you telling me what happened as if I was sitting opposite you in an armchair.

Why do you wish to use Third Person or write it as an outsider? Auto-biographies do sell better from a platform of name recognition or achievement.

Do you not feel it would sell as an auto-biography, or is it your intention to write a work of fiction, drawing on your experiences to help you write it? A fictional Auto-biography - could still use First person.

Last edited:

johnalia

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Bufty for your reply,
Honestly I wanted and still wants to write as a first person but like you said ''auto-biographies do sell better from a platform of name recognition or achievement''and I don't have both, at least at the moment. Also from my own little research, they(the experienced guys) advice using third person. I don't know, I am just stuck in between the two.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Write your autobiography in first person. The folks who tell you to do it in third aren't necessarily that experienced.

I was once told by an agent that three things sell memoirs:
1. Celebrity (so if you're not, you can scratch that one, but you can work on building name recognition)
2. Event: if part of your story includes a major event, play that part up.
3. Literary Craft: Write it beautifully. Write it as well as you can. Good writing does still sell in just about any genre, name recognition or no name recognition.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal