Please buy the John Oliver version instead!

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
Notorious homophobe Mike Pence (the installed-by-Russians vice president) has a pet bunny his family named Marlon Bundo. They've just released a children's book about him. Granted, he's an awfully cute bunny, I'll give him that. He can't help who his owner is.

However, John Oliver, formerly of The Daily Show, and now of HBO's Last Week Tonight, has just released his own children's book version of the second family's bunny...who just happens to fall in love with another male bunny.

John Oliver will donate 100% of the proceeds to The Trevor Project, a non-profit organization focused on suicide prevention efforts among lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning (LGBTQ) youth.

John Oliver rips homophobe Mike Pence — and does something amazing with his pet rabbit Marlon Bundo

eh5s4.jpg

Amazon link: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Presents a Day in the Life of Marlon Bundo

Tonight, the book sold out on Amazon in just a few minutes :hooray:, but when it's back in stock, please support a good cause, make it a much bigger seller than the Pences' book, and give Mike Pence a big, figurative middle finger!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yet another reason to love John Oliver. Thanks for the heads-up!

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I checked out the "look inside" for both versions (so I'm working with an admittedly small sample). Based on those, political leanings aside, the John Oliver book is legitimately the superior PB, both in the writing and the illustrations.

The John Oliver illustrations are, in one word, charming, an adorably fluffy and slightly cartoonish bunny with a sweet smile.

The Pence book starts out with a bunny introducing himself... and doesn't even have a picture of the bunny. The very first illustration is a picture of the VP's residence, an exterior picture of large, but otherwise normal-looking house. It's a REALLY boring picture.

I don't know what the rest of the illustrations look like, but the rabbit on the cover has a thousand-yard stare (I'm not exaggerating).

The Oliver book is legitimately solid prose. Some of the lines are a bit... Oliveresque. I can definitely sense the snark behind the scenes, but overall, it's cute and well-paced. I'd happily read this aloud to a child.

The Pence book is in verse that, were it posted in SYW, would prompt a long, gentle explanation that in order to write good verse, you have to actually consider rhythm, not just rhyme.

My favorite part, though, is the first line of the Pence book.

Allow me to introduce myself,
I am Marlon Bundo Pence

Between the word choice of the first line, and the rhythm of the second, all I could think of was:

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste.

- The Rolling Stone's "Sympathy for the Devil

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Bought it before the show was over last night. And was especially happy that I ordered it through Amazon's Smile program, so the purchase kicked a few cents toward Planned Parenthood, too.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Our copy arrived last night. Very cute; good message. Hope it continues to sell well.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did Pence, or the ghostwriter, realize that Marlon Brando was bisexual?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Excellent. Sounds like the John Oliver version is doing very well, and the proceeds will help a good cause.

As for the opening line of Pence's book, I can only laugh.

Did Pence, or the ghostwriter, realize that Marlon Brando was bisexual?

The list of things that Pence himself doesn't know about pop culture is vast, I suspect.

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Between the word choice of the first line, and the rhythm of the second, all I could think of was:

Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste.

- The Rolling Stone's "Sympathy for the Devil

I had a look at the book on Amazon, and kept mentally inserting those choral "hooo-hooo" sounds into each line. Made for interesting reading.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I had a look at the book on Amazon, and kept mentally inserting those choral "hooo-hooo" sounds into each line. Made for interesting reading.

:evil :roll:

Last edited: