Looking for books with two main characters

Edwardian

Registered
Reaction score
I want to read books that have two main characters as it's something I tend to write. I also want to look at how they present the book summaries. Does anybody know any?

Last edited:

Pony.

Aspiring supervillain
Registered
Reaction score
There may be more than one prominant characters, but a story will likely boil down to one main character, whichever character the reader identifies with most. Some books that seem to have two main characters really only have a single protagonist with an allie, the antagonist can have an allie too. Goodreads gave a list of books with an ensemble of characters which can offer additional prominant characters to follow and root for or against.

https://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/ensemble-cast

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I haven't woken up yet, but I'm not sure what you mean here.

Don't most books have at least two main characters?

Do you mean only two protagonists, or two antagonists? Or only two main characters? Romance springs to mind if it's the latter.

froglivers

Registered
Reaction score
Do you mean, two main characters each with alternating chapter POVs?
Marie Lu's Legend comes to mind.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There's a whole genre filled with such books: Romance.

TSJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
James Corey's The Expanse has two main characters (both men, neither of them a sidekick, written in from two POVs, 3rd person). Corey is a pseudonym and it's actually written by two people.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
An ember in the ashes is also a dual main character story

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you mean two protagonists working together (and those two POVs), many authors have done it, myself included. Feel free to PM me for relative details.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
My 3rd book The Reasons is two character POV first person...they alternate chapters.

The Reasons

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I wrote a novel with two viewpoint characters. How you summarise depends on what you want to achieve. Some romance novels have a bit from each character. This is because it's focusing on the characters. I felt the friendship between my leads was the important focus, so I did a similar thing. But if you're focusing more on plot, then you'd likely focus on one character. You could try it both ways and see which works the best.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
The romance genre typically has two main characters (co-protagonists, and usually the narrative viewpoint, or focus if narrative is in omniscient, shifts between the two), and as I understand it, it's the norm to include both partners' main arcs in the query for that genre. Your story is probably not a romance, but it may be worthwhile to check some out to see how the authors accomplish the shifts.

I have seen queries in other genres that jump between two co-protagonists, but the norm is to focus on the arc of the one who has the narrative focus in the novel opening.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
If you mean a book told from two alternating POV's then A Darker Shade of Sorcery fits the bill.

I don't know who the author is though. :)

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Girls on Fire by Robin Wasserman has two main protagonists, and dual POVs.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
What I find interesting is, outside of romance, it appears that novels told from two povs are pretty rare. Single viewpoint novels abound, especially in first person, and novels with more than two pov characters also abound (most often in limited third, but sometimes in first, or switching between first and third for different characters). But googling "novels with two pov characters" etc. gives me tons of links for novels with multiple viewpoint characters.

I don't think this should be a discouragement. A writer should pick the number of viewpoints that best serves the story.

The thing you should be crystal clear on prior to constructing a query is whether or not your novel truly has two protagonists, or whether you have two viewpoint characters, one of whom is the plot-driving protagonist. Even in romance, it's common for one character (usually the FMC in M/F romances) to really be "the lead," as in their life situation or problems get the plot bunnies hopping. The other character has goals and issues too, and they will affect the plot in many ways, but they will be nudged along by the other. In true dual protagonist stories, the relationship between the two characters drives the plot in a very symmetrical way, with neither one doing most of the leading nor following (or acting and reacting). Or the two characters may have entirely separate or parallel stories going on, but they are interwoven, or will eventually merge, in some way.

Here's a list of books that have two or more pov characters with distinctive voices.

http://www.penguinteen.com/10-books...prove-two-or-more-voices-are-better-than-one/

Last edited:

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty much the standard in romance novels. So if you're a fan of romance, any book you pick will pretty much have two main characters (hero and heroine), along with providing both their POVs.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Romance novels do this with the romantic leads.

Crime novels do this with the criminal and the investigator.

YA novels do this with the main characters.

Fantasy novels do this (often with many more characters) to show different families, clans, worlds, etc.

Any book where you need a character to see something another character can't see does this.

Any book where you've got characters in different time periods does this.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
James Corey's The Expanse has two main characters (both men, neither of them a sidekick, written in from two POVs, 3rd person). Corey is a pseudonym and it's actually written by two people.

The Expanse has more than two main characters... trying to remember - I think 5 main characters in all. Holden is (IMO) a bit more prominent than some of the others, but not by much. The author(s) handle it well ... again my opinion.