Another explosion in Austin, Texas, with injuries

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) — The suspect in a spate of bombing attacks that have terrorized Austin over the past month blew himself up with an explosive device as authorities closed in, the police said early Wednesday.
Authorities had zeroed in on the suspect in the last 24 to 36 hours and located him at a hotel on Interstate 35 in the Austin suburb of Round Rock, Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said at a news conference. They were waiting for ballistic vehicles to arrive when his vehicle began to drive away, Manley said. Authorities followed the vehicle, which stopped in a ditch on the side of the road, the police chief said.

Well, then.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
And, quelle surprise, it was a white male.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics...lew-himself-up-in-his-vehicle-police-say.html

Law enforcement officials have identified the suspect as Mark Anthony Conditt, a 24-year-old white man. According to the New York Times, Conditt lived in Pflugerville, a suburb northeast of Austin. Austin police chief Brian Manley said officers were closing in on Conditt when he blew himself up in his vehicle. Police have not yet identified a motive, Manley said.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The video of him dropping packages off at the FedEx desk shows him wearing gloves. You'd think that might alert someone but perhaps too many people wear gloves to be of concern?

They connected his overseas battery order. That's some good police work. And odd that he used unique batteries.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
This http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...e-texas-serial-bombings/ar-BBKwW28?li=AAggNb9 says that he was seen on a security camera, as he was dropping of another package at a FedEx store. Did it not occur to him that FedEx employees would be on high-alert, out of self-preservation?
And, authorities say that people in the area should still be cautious, as he might have sent out other packages that they were unaware of.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Criminals are nothing if not dumb.

Seriously, the criminal mastermind is a rare, rare beast. Most criminals are just... dumb as fuck, luckily.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The moment I saw the story about the Fedex facility incident, I immediately thought about security camera footage, and that's what got him. After which he was prepared for suicide, and carried that out. Whatever his motives may have been (which we may never know), at least he wasn't as smart as Ted Kaczynski.

caw

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Yes, because according to the lead quote about him on the NYT Twitter page, he was "a quiet, “nerdy” young man who came from a “tight-knit, godly family.”

*chases eyeballs across the kitchen floor*

And he was a home schooled college dropout. Is any of this relevant? I have no idea.

According to this article, his politics were conservative on social issues, at least.

He said things like this:

In response to another classmate’s post defending same-sex marriage, Mr. Conditt wrote that homosexuality wasn’t natural, and that people of the same sex weren’t designed to couple. He equated passing laws supporting gay rights with laws that would protect pedophilia and bestiality.

Obviously, he had a lot of hate in him. However, it's odd for someone who is militantly and radically anti choice or anti LGBTQ rights--even if they feel that terror is the correct way to enforce their world view--to randomly blow people up, rather than targeting specific locales (like clinics). It's possible his actions had nothing to do with his politics, and he was simply a twisted person with no agenda besides causing pain and fear. Maybe he's always been twisted, and his family is too blind to see. Or maybe he's been normal until recently because he's got a brain tumor or something. Is there enough of him left to tell? Or maybe he's had some trauma in his life recently.

A number of people said he was "rough around the edges," but I'm not clear what that means. Abrasive? Hot tempered? Abusive? Naive? Sheltered? A complete asshole?

If they can find a link between his politics and his actions, then I think it's perfectly accurate to call it terrorism. It's possible his politics and background were incidental, though. Hopefully, more will come to light.

This is so sad for the people who died and for their loved ones. Glad it's over, at least.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In defense of white men aren't terrorists,:sarcasm at least one person interviewed who had heard the 25 minute recording felt the need to point out there was no mention of any hate crime and the word 'terrorism' was not on the recording.

I wonder how much racism and anti-LGBTQ was in the recording. It's like the witness went out of his way to sidestep anything suggesting terrorism.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I don't necessarily need him to be called a terrorist, but I damn sure don't want to listen to all the soft pedaling about a "very challenged young man". I'm disgusted by the instant headlines and descriptions to sympathetically humanize him, especially in light of the fact that they barely even COVERED the victims, certainly not until the 3rd and 4th deaths. They keep showing that smiling face of the killer ("oh he was a god-fearing boy"), not a still of him in a wig, delivering a bomb to a store. Give me a fu**ing break.

(Also *another* situation where a white adult is young, troubled, a "boy," while 12-year-old black actual *children* are supposed to behave like adults. ARGH!)

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, because according to the lead quote about him on the NYT Twitter page, he was "a quiet, “nerdy” young man who came from a “tight-knit, godly family.”

*chases eyeballs across the kitchen floor*

In defense of white men aren't terrorists,:sarcasm at least one person interviewed who had heard the 25 minute recording felt the need to point out there was no mention of any hate crime and the word 'terrorism' was not on the recording.

I wonder how much racism and anti-LGBTQ was in the recording. It's like the witness went out of his way to sidestep anything suggesting terrorism.

I don't necessarily need him to be called a terrorist, but I damn sure don't want to listen to all the soft pedaling about a "very challenged young man". I'm disgusted by the instant headlines and descriptions to sympathetically humanize him, especially in light of the fact that they barely even COVERED the victims, certainly not until the 3rd and 4th deaths. They keep showing that smiling face of the killer ("oh he was a god-fearing boy"), not a still of him in a wig, delivering a bomb to a store. Give me a fu**ing break.

(Also *another* situation where a white adult is young, troubled, a "boy," while 12-year-old black actual *children* are supposed to behave like adults. ARGH!)

Noticed that did you? You're not the only one.

The past week has offered a case study in how race shapes empathy and blame.

Take Mark Anthony Conditt, the 23-year-old who terrorized Austin, Texas, with a series of bombings. After listening to his confession tape, local police have ruled out hate as a motive in a set of attacks that took two lives and injured several others. Conditt’s message, police chief Brian Manley explained, was “the outcry of a very challenged young man talking about challenges in his personal life.” Conditt wasn’t a terrorist—the term we usually affix to people who organize bombings—he was simply lashing out.

Or consider Austin Rollins, the 17-year-old shooter at a school in southern Maryland. He shot two students, one of them his ex-girlfriend, before he was killed. Police say “the shooting was not a random act of violence.” The girl, Jaelynn Willey, was likely the target. Relaying this information, the Associated Press led with a small bit of editorializing: “Tuesday’s school shooting in southern Maryland that left the shooter dead and two students wounded increasingly appears to be the action of a lovesick teenager.” Not an attempted murderer or someone acting on a poisonous amount of masculine entitlement. A lovesick teenager.

Look to last month and even Nikolas Cruz—the teenage gunman who killed 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida—was quickly identified as an “orphan” with a “troubled past,” a surprisingly sympathetic way to describe a deadly shooter responsible for one of the worst school massacres in American history. Beyond these recent examples are a litany of times where white suspects of violence are presented as full individuals. “Soft-spoken, polite, a gentleman” is how local media described Elliot Rodger after he killed seven people in a 2014 murder spree near the campus of UC–Santa Barbara.

Now compare this to the now-infamous New York Times story on Michael Brown, described as “no angel” for his occasional delinquency and dabbling in drugs and alcohol. Brown was killed in a confrontation with police. He was unarmed.

To be white, male, and suspected of a serious crime is, in the eyes of police and much of the media, to still be a full individual entitled to respect and dignity. Your actions are treated as an isolated incident, not indicative of a larger pathology shared by others who occupy your social position or hold your religious beliefs. To be black (or to be Muslim or undocumented) is to lose that nuance, even if you’re the victim. After Trayvon Martin’s shooting death at the hands of George Zimmerman in 2012, NBC News ran a story announcing one fact: that Martin had been suspended three times from school. In Austin, the same police who could present Mark Anthony Conditt as suffering from angst were, just a week earlier, treating his first victim—a 29-year-old black man named Anthony Stephan House—as a suspect in his own death. “We can’t rule out that Mr. House didn’t construct this himself and accidentally detonate it,” APD Assistant Chief Joseph Chacon told reporters at the time.

How the media talks about crimes committed by Whites as opposed to crimes committed by Blacks has long been a sore spot for me as both a former journalist and a current African-American. Whether this bias is deliberate or accidental, doesn't really matter. It achieves the same thing either way.
The words are back.

You know which words I’m talking about. The politically correct nouns, verbs and adjectives used to shield their sayers and writers from criticism. The ones that tiptoe along the protective, precipitously thin fence of caucasity to whitesplain any act committed by an Anglo-Saxon Protestant who claps on the one and three.

The white words.

As we unpack the reasons that 23-year-old Mark Anthony Conditt took away the safe space from black people of color in Austin, Texas, we must admonish ourselves not to jump to conclusions. It is too early to call him evil. Maybe he was “deeply troubled” like Parkland, Fla., mass murderer “broken child” Nikolas Cruz. Perhaps Conditt was like Kenneth Gleason, the “clean-cut American kid” suspected of the lynchings racially motivated murders in Baton Rouge, La.

And for God’s sake, don’t call him a terrorist.

By definition, a terrorist can’t be white. Now, some may stupidly try to apply logic and reason to the situation by pointing out that the word “terrorist” is defined as “a person who terrorizes and frightens others,” but again, Mark Anthony Conditt is white. Logic doesn’t apply here. There is an unwritten rule that all Caucasian children are endowed at birth with the assumption of pure innocence until someone proves otherwise.

Just the white kids, though. It was why Mike Brown was called a “robbery suspect” when he was killed by Darren Wilson. Trayvon Martin was a robbery suspect, too, which is why George Zimmerman was released after a quick chat with police in Sanford, Fla.

It's pissing me off how the cops are tip-toeing around Conditt's homophobic and anti-Muslim pronouncements and his two Black victims as if they aren't relevant to calling him what he was: a terrorist. A White Christian male terrorist, but still a terrorist.

Even in death White privilege extends to White terrorists.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com

I agree. It's sickening when the press does this. And the double standard is, well, I have no words to express how angry it makes me.

If this kid were of Middle-Eastern ancestry, the press would be labeling him a terrorist, whether he had sociopolitical motivations or he was "just" lashing out because his girlfriend broke up with him or something. If he were black, he'd be labeled a thug and a criminal, no matter what kind of past he had. But when someone is white, it's all, "Why was he so damaged?" or, "He must be mentally ill" etc.

We need a vomit emojii.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. It's sickening when the press does this. And the double standard is, well, I have no words to express how angry it makes me.

If this kid were of Middle-Eastern ancestry, the press would be labeling him a terrorist, whether he had sociopolitical motivations or he was "just" lashing out because his girlfriend broke up with him or something. If he were black, he'd be labeled a thug and a criminal, no matter what kind of past he had. But when someone is white, it's all, "Why was he so damaged?" or, "He must be mentally ill" etc.

We need a vomit emojii.

The double standard is especially sickening in this case, as he murdered Draylen Mason, who really was a good kid, a gifted musician with a promising future.

http://www.eaprep.org/news___events/what_s_new/statement_on_death_of_draylen_mason
EAPrep Secondary School Principal Erica Gonzalez said, “Draylen was an EAPrep Tiger from way back and he was well-loved throughout the school. This senseless act has left a great void for all of us who knew him. We must use our voices to speak out against acts of violence.”

Draylen, who played in the school orchestra and studied martial arts, was due to graduate this semester with East Austin College Prep’s senior class of 2018. He had already been accepted to the Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin and the University of North Texas double bass violin program as well as other schools. “I had the opportunity to meet Draylen many times throughout his years at EAPrep,” said Dr. Juan Sánchez, El Presidente/CEO of Southwest Key Programs. “He had a smile that lit up a room and you couldn’t help but smile back when he spoke to you. We will do our best every day to honor his spirit and continue his good works.”

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

We can be thankful, I suppose, that Conditt wasn't a more skilled one, and blundered into being caught fairly easily. In other words, that he was no Ted Kaczynski.

There remain some mysteries, which perhaps should remain mysteries. Authorities described the first bombs as "sophisticated", but with no further details. I haven't seen what the explosive was, or the first trigger mechanisms, or how he learned to construct the bombs. Maybe it's for the better that such information remain undisclosed.

But I do now worry that some of the possible copycat mass gun shooting aspirants may consider doing bombs instead.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I truly and sincerely hope that if they try to make bombs, they fail and the bombs blow up in their hands, and in their faces. Leaving not enough left for a trial, or, indeed, a funeral.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I truly and sincerely hope that if they try to make bombs, they fail and the bombs blow up in their hands, and in their faces. Leaving not enough left for a trial, or, indeed, a funeral.

Me, too, but it didn't happen to Kaczynski, nor to Dynamite Bob Chambliss back in the 60s, nor to Conditt until he deliberately killed himself with one. I don't think we can count on that sort of thing as much protection.

caw

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
It's possible his actions had nothing to do with his politics, and he was simply a twisted person with no agenda besides causing pain and fear.

If they can find a link between his politics and his actions, then I think it's perfectly accurate to call it terrorism. It's possible his politics and background were incidental, though. Hopefully, more will come to light.

Why should politics be important? Isn't terror just a synonym for fear? If his goal was just to spread pain and fear, then he was a terrorist, no?

Emilander

Banned
Reaction score
Why should politics be important? Isn't terror just a synonym for fear? If his goal was just to spread pain and fear, then he was a terrorist, no?
Perhaps, but the technical definition of a terrorist is a person who uses violence or the threat of violence to advance an ideological or political cause. He might have been a terrorist or he might have been bat shit crazy and just liked to blow shit up.