Greetings from a Newbie!

clangan

Registered
Reaction score
Howdy everyone! My name is Chris and I am a newbie.

I live and breathe science fiction! There are two types of sci-fi: Stories that I have thoroughly enjoyed and stories I have not read/watched/consumed yet. You know how some people are either rabid Star Wars or Star Trek fans? I’m the guy who has room in his heart for both AND Babylon 5!

Previously, I was a social worker. I learned that I am not built for that kind of work, so I turned to writing. I flailed about at first, but after a successful video game writer pointed me towards On Writing by Stephen King, I found my groove.

I remain unpublished, but I have 3 short stories ready to go and several more in the hopper (see also: my head).

There aren’t many people I know who share my enthusiasm for writing, so it’s very nice to have discovered an entire community of like-minded folks. I look forward to chatting it up with you!

Also, I am a giant. 6’7”. An inch taller than Michael Jordan. Irrelevant info, but fun to point out.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Five inches taller than me. Did you play any basketball in school?

Welcome, Chris, to AW!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Chris, welcome to AW. Best of luck with your short stories.

clangan

Registered
Reaction score
Five inches taller than me. Did you play any basketball in school?

Welcome, Chris, to AW!

I played in Jr. High but it was WAY too much running around for two points.

Plus I couldn’t make a basket to save my life haha!

HD Simplicityy

Registered
Reaction score
One of my best friends is named Chris. I also read On Writing. Enjoyed the second half of it to a degree. Got bored with the memoir part. Also I'm studying English and creative writing fiction to be a video game writer. Ill finish my long undergraduate career at the end of next March. What writer do you know of, if I may ask? I once emailed and eventually got a response from Rhianna Pratchett, writer of Mirrors Edge, Heavenly Sword (not played), Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider. That was....hmmm..in 2015? maybe 2016. I wish I hadn't deleted the email, but she did send me a FAQ document. Still have it :).

Last edited:

TabithaMichaels

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome, from a fellow newbie. On Writing was inspirational for me, as well. I even gave my brother (who has recently found an interest in writing) a copy. However, I will fight Mr. King over his use of the word "awhile." (Because I'm new here, I'm going to go ahead and point out that I'm kidding and am not a snob.) ;)

Hope to see you around!

Mathis Vatt

Registered
Reaction score
You know how some people are either rabid Star Wars or Star Trek fans? I’m the guy who has room in his heart for both AND Babylon 5!
Ah yes, Babylon 5. Miss that show. Still, classic Doctor Who for me. Tom Baker fan.

Anyway, greetings from this side of somewhere else. :welcome:

DanMorrison

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Chris. Seems like you'll certainly find plenty of Sci-Fi lovers around here.

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
hi chris im cristoph
are you gonna keep with short stories or are you gonna tackle a full length?
also it seems that newbies like me, and maybe you, have to learn about building our platform.
and how to write the best query letter we can, and other stuff like trying
to get published writers to recommend us to agents.
has anyone read your three shorts , like a beta reader?
why dont you make your 50 posts and get some critique
best wishes!

Last edited: