*waves awkwardly* Hi, I'm New.

Stephmas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wedontchewglass.com
Hi. I'm Stephanie, I'm new, and I have no idea what I'm doing even though I've read the rules THREE TIMES.

I am currently ignoring my blog and a speculative fiction novel while I write a paranormal romance or two.

I hate synopses with the fire of a thousand suns.

I have about 500 million different syndromes/diseases, for example: A tick bit me 6 or so years ago and now if I eat mammal meat (or byproducts--did you know sugar is processed using bovine bone char?) I will likely stop breathing and die. True story.

Okay, enough about me, back to lurking.

pbates

Witchy Woman
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Stephmas, welcome :) I've been here a while, but I'm mostly just a lurker. I'm trying to start hanging out here more often, though. It'd be nice to feel a sense of community with other writers!

I write some speculative fiction, too. What's your novel about?

Also, I think getting a tick bite is one of my biggest fears. And, wow, that's really crazy about that disease. I'm sure it's super difficult to keep away from all animal meat and byproducts. Do you essentially have to stay away from most restaurants because of the risk?

Stephmas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wedontchewglass.com
Also, I think getting a tick bite is one of my biggest fears. And, wow, that's really crazy about that disease. I'm sure it's super difficult to keep away from all animal meat and byproducts. Do you essentially have to stay away from most restaurants because of the risk?

I think I totally just messed up that quote. ANYway.

Thank you, and I agree, it would be nice to have writer friends!

My novel -the one I'm NOT working on- has been an idea in my head for years. My biggest worry right now is that some parts of it are intersecting with things that are actually happening. So, it's gonna suck if my "Handmaid's Tale" (Please GOD, DO NOT THINK THAT I THINK I'M M. ATWOOD. Not what I meant, lol.) comes true before I even finish the thing.

Okay, so here is where your quote was supposed to be, about the tick. 1. That is so crazy to me, because ticks are so bad here that it's just a thing...go outside, come in, check for ticks. 2. The thing I have is called Alpha-Gal, and it is ridiculous. But it goes up and down, like in sensitivity--I'll get a little ill if I put real sugar and milk in my coffee, and I might get really sick eating an egg cooked on the same grill as a piece of sausage, and if I ate, say, a bacon cheeseburger, my throat would swell shut. YAY, epi-pens! Some restaurants are okay; some I avoid completely.

I'm really lucky though, bc it's fairly new and no one knows about it, except an allergist I found who worked with the doc who discovered it. So that's handy.

Thanks for the welcome, and sorry about my quote confusion!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

I have heard of the tick borne illness you have. I'm sorry it happened to you.

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Stephmas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wedontchewglass.com
Hi, regdog, and thank you for the welcome. I've read a lot of the FAQs--you guys have a TON of information here. I will try to keep it all straight. If I mess up, please know it was definitely due to a broken memory and/or idiocy, and not on purpose! A place like this, with all the work that has obviously been put into it, deserves respect, and has mine. :)

Hey, regdog! I just wanted to add: I read tons and tons of the rules and tips and stuff, but I don't remember seeing anything about etiquette. I haven't been on a forum in a long time, and it was REALLY bothering me that I hadn't replied to everyone here because I felt like I was being really rude. But, I also don't know if that's considered, like, spamming or something, since it took me so long and now I have so many comments in a row that it is embarrassing. And, I didn't think of the post count thing until I was already almost done answering, so if someone wants to set mine back to one, that is totally fine. That wasn't a consideration of mine at all, and I will probably never post any of my work anyway.

Last edited:

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I think you will find this to be an inviting and helpful community.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Best of luck on your writing projects, Stephanie, and welcome to AW!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Stephanie, nice to meet you. We're all going to stop breathing and die eventually so I wouldn't worry about it too much :) Best of luck with your paranormal romance(s), hope everything works out for you.

clangan

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the party! I just started today too. I’d like to thank you for reinforcing my fear of ticks!

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! Nice to meet you. I also lurk, don't worry about it. If I meet you in the shadows, I'll say hi. Welcome to the writing community! I'm so glad you're here. Also don't worry about it, I have no idea what I'm doing either. You're not alone. Again, welcome! Hope to see you around.

averydarkword

Cat lover
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I am new here too and I wish you a great time here.
Anything you need just pm me ! :)

TabithaMichaels

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! That tick thing sounds terrifying. And intriguing...but mostly terrifying! I'm just going to sit here and snack on my beef jerky and try to not obsess over every questionable freckle. I too am ignoring projects for other projects so yay us!

Laidmason

Registered
Reaction score
Hey

I kind of feel slightly stupid for being here with each passing post but that's what i'm here to do.

I wanna learn about people,their lives and the books they write, so i might ask a lot of questions

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Stephanie,

I'm new here as well, but more than that I wish you well with your health. Ticks are a problem where I live too, and their effects upon some people I know have been horrific (the Australian Medical Association doesn't fully recognise some of the effects of tick bites, but that is a separate story altogether). There are parts of the surrounding bush here where I refuse to walk into, because I invariably come out covered in the things. They are vile!

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
howdy stephanie,

did you know that you write comedy?
do you hate outlines with the fart from a thousand bumms
because if you don't then use an outline and turn it into a synopsis.

ps. grow your own food , fed with your own organic compost.

Christoph

Stephmas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wedontchewglass.com
howdy stephanie,

did you know that you write comedy?
do you hate outlines with the fart from a thousand bumms
because if you don't then use an outline and turn it into a synopsis.

ps. grow your own food , fed with your own organic compost.

Christoph

You are FULL of good ideas! I attempt to write comedy, but what gets published is the serious stuff--go figure. I do not hate outlines, and I'm totally going to try this. I used to have a vegetable garden. Now I'm lazy and grow flowers.

Stephmas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wedontchewglass.com
Hello Stephanie,

I'm new here as well, but more than that I wish you well with your health. Ticks are a problem where I live too, and their effects upon some people I know have been horrific (the Australian Medical Association doesn't fully recognise some of the effects of tick bites, but that is a separate story altogether). There are parts of the surrounding bush here where I refuse to walk into, because I invariably come out covered in the things. They are vile!

Welcome to you too, then! I have it stuck in my head that Australia is the Realm of Spiders. Ticks, too? That doesn't seem fair.

Norman Mjadwesch

vacuous eyes, will bark at shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you too, then! I have it stuck in my head that Australia is the Realm of Spiders. Ticks, too? That doesn't seem fair.

That made me laugh! In truth, I can't really imagine what a place without spiders would look like. Most of them are harmless, though it is also true that many years ago I got bitten in my sleep and every year or so that wound breaks out in a minor infection that takes ages to heal (same to my best friend - this is not unusual for those of us who live in the bush). Still, ticks bites are far more common than spider bites, with generally much more serious effects - a woman I know can't get treatment in Oz because her symptoms are not officially recognised here, and while overseas treatment is possible she doesn't have the money to be able to afford it (she is on a disability pension).

I think I may have reinforced some stereotypes with that little story, but Australia is a pretty safe place to live and when you go walking around outside none of the wildlife looks at people as a possible menu option. At least we don't have bears! You can run away from a snake or a spider, but you can't outrun a bear...

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm CR. I'm a stay-at-home parent of a child with autism. I'm fairly obsessed with zombies and i hate my current keyboard. It mocks me and tries to make me typo but personifications aside, hi! How is everyone?

PS. If I'm doing this wrong I am so sorry. My social anxiety has been my excuse for avoiding forums forever. Trying to grow up. Rip toys r us...

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your tick borne illness! It sounds very unfortunate! I love your sense of humor, though!

J_Star

Registered
Reaction score
Eek, bummer about the tick-borne illness. But on the other hand, you're hella funny and seem very awesome, so you've got that going for you, which is nice :D

Stephmas

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wedontchewglass.com
CR, I couldn't tell you. But I do understand anxiety, unfortunately, so I bestow upon you...uh...nothing. I am a fish here, and I'm picturing a really tiny one.

What kinda keyboard do you have? I used to do transcription, and I wish I still had my dual-monitor, split-keyboard set up. But it's hard to work with all that when you mostly work from bed.

How old is your kid (if you don't mind)?