• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta reader for a YA, 120k, epic/high fantasy. Willing to swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As the thread says, I'm looking for a beta reader for my novel, The One Oath. The novel has been beta read more than once and it is very polished in terms of editing, plot, characters, etc. What I am looking for is a reader who wants to get lost in a story and have a good time. In terms of feedback, I'm looking for the overall feel of scenes (not necessarily a LBL), and obviously any issues you find with anything, or any compliments you have of anything (Who doesn't like hearing what they've done well from time to time?). I've been working on this novel for seven years, so it's definitely nearing the point of agent-searching. I'm willing to swap, but I am in physician assistant school, and I hardly have time to work on my own novel, so if we swap, I may be a tad slow (but always dependable!) depending on the length of the novel.

I have like 40 different query letters--here is one of the decent ones that acts as a set-up without getting too far into the plot. You can view my personal struggle at constructing a good query for this novel here: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?321871-The-One-Oath-High-Fantasy-revision-247 (Don't judge me too hard :) )

Every night, seventeen-year-old Gael prays that his kidnapped mother still draws breath, and that the bastard who took her draws their last. Motherless Gael doesn’t know who took her, what her name was, or why it was no one could tell him a damned thing—he was barely a toddler when it happened and ever since, his life had been curtailed to an isolated forest to avoid a similar fate. Gael’s solace is his sword, his devotion to his god, and knowing that his lordly father only abandoned him in order to find her.

Gael’s isolated existence is thrown to the wind when an angelic being appears, claiming to be the Servant of God. As the doctrine of their faith says, the Servant’s purpose is to deliver believers to heaven and smite doubters to an eternal grave. Gael’s father finally returns and reveals a dark secret about their would-be savior—the Servant is who took his mother. Torn between family and the implications any rebellion would have on his salvation, Gael sets out to discover the truth about the being who tore his family apart. If Gael finds a hint of deception in the Servant’s authenticity as God-sent, only one thing is certain—the Servant is his enemy. And Gael is coming for him.

Comment here or PM me if interested! Thanks!

Last edited:

Jinnambex

Silence is deafening
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually found a beta reader who is giving great feedback. So as of now, I do not need another beta reader. I will probably open this up again in a few months if anyone is interested. Thanks AW

Jin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.