How to get all the descriptive words into a sentence 125 words

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score
“How do you think that makes me feel?” he snapped.

The silence hung in the air. She wrote her observations in a small spiral notebook.

[The shinny purplish-pink anodized metal of the notebook's coiling caught Vince’s eye. The iridescent spiral rings were hypnotic changing color as the notebook moved in her hands. His thoughts floated to a distant time.]

The bracketed sentence is what I would like to write but it isn't pleasant to read. I think one sentence would be better. Probably overwritten.

This is what I came up with. It's not as descriptive.

The shiny purplish-pink metal coils caught Vince’s eye, hypnotizing him with their slight changes of color. His mind floated to a distant time.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought is that the line "His thoughts floated to a distant time" tells us what's about to happen. We're smarter than we look. You could show us the hypnotic effect of the coils, then blam, we're in a distant time in Vince's POV, and we'll figure it out.

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks maryn. I posted the whole scene in SYW in the Fiction sub. Maybe it will make more sense with more content.

LSamDee

Registered
Reaction score
Are all those descriptive adjectives for the notebook and spirals important? Are they something the reader really needs to know for some reason? If not, your answer would be "simplify."

Status
Not open for further replies.