Trumps request loan of a Van Gogh from Guggenheim and an apt alternative is suggested.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Because we all need a bit of levity among all the outrageous things #45 is doing.

The Trumps apparently requested the loan of a painting by Van Gogh from the Guggenheim. They wanted to hang it in their living quarters in the White House. Seriously, they did this.

Unsurprisingly, the museum's chief curator turned down their request with very polite-but-firm language, but she suggested an alternative exhibit, entitled "America." Created by artist Maurizio Cattelan, this piece is of a completely different nature than the painting requested by the trumps. It is also a million times more "on the nose," to put it mildly.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...22769454f82_story.html?utm_term=.76b18a2252b6

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Lol, I've seen this before.

Always good to re-share it, though! (^_^)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
On a slight tangent, there's been an amusing sequel to this: https://hyperallergic.com/431058/guggenheim-toilet-gold-crochet/

That's awesome.

That artist's work and the history of "Fearless Girl" was a delightful distraction. I encourage people to read the cite and follow some of the links. :Sun:

I hadn't heard of the "Fearless Girl" statue before, but it sure has garnered a lot of hate, hasn't it? Especially interesting are those claiming to be feminists that insist they denounce it as fake, corporate feminism, and the artist who temporarily installed a pissing pug statue while claiming to be a feminist.

Sounds rather like concern trolling, doesn't it? It happens every time feminists embrace a symbol or anything else. The attempt to shame women and girls for relating to something.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In the midst of all the political turmoil, I never cease to be amazed at how utterly lacking in class this entire Bone Spurs family is. Take the Van Gogh out of the Guggenheim, where everybody can view it, and stick it into some private area of the White House. What a pile of pigs.

caw

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Page Six (whoever they are): Trump’s vast art collection isn’t what it seems
Mark Bowden wrote in Vanity Fair last year that Trump doesn’t care much for the beauty of fine art. “His behavior was cringe-worthy. He showed off the gilded interior of his plane — calling me over to inspect a Renoir on its walls, beckoning me to lean in closely to see . . . what? The luminosity of the brush strokes? The masterly use of color? No. The signature. ‘Worth $10 million,’ he told me.

That painting may have been a fake too, since such a work of art would probably not be stored on a plane, where it could be damaged.

Lies and forgeries are related, aren't they? :tongue

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Was a time when a thread like this would have brought in a bunch of Republicans arguing quite intelligently and with insight (and links) that the Gug was way out of line. Where have they gone? Is it that a) We were simplistically negative in our views of the Republican Party or b) Trump has been simplistically negative in his views of the Republican Party? Or is there a c)? I hope there's a c). I don't want it to be all our fault, or all Trump's fault.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I remember when this first came to light. I think the general consensus was that if they'd given him the painting, they would have never seen it again.

I suspect this is right. And what hubris to even ask for a personal loan of a priceless work of art by one of the greatest painters who ever lived--something that is an important part of humanity's collective culture and history (which is why it's in a museum). He and Melania didn't even request it to display in a public area of the White House, where tour groups and visiting diplomats could see it. It was to hang in their private quarters within the White House, where no one would see it but family and maybe the housecleaning staff and Secret Service.

He really does think being POTUS=being king.

Lol, I've seen this before.

Always good to re-share it, though! (^_^)

Yeah, I think this happened back in Jan. I don't remember anyone posting about it here, but if they did, my apologies.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And what hubris to even ask for a personal loan of a priceless work of art by one of the greatest painters who ever lived
tbf - If I thought I could get away with it...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when this first came to light. I think the general consensus was that if they'd given him the painting, they would have never seen it again.

That would be my first thought. Heck, as it is, when they leave the White House the staff better count the silverware and the official china sets. And everything else that isn't nailed down. What do you want to bet they catch him trying to steal the Oval Office desk?

On the other hand, anyone think he'd even notice a reproduction? Not a print, which the cleaning staff or security might be sharp enough to notice, but one of those quickie-mall-art reproductions 'done in real oils'. If it's in their personal quarters, who's going to notice, as long as the signature is properly copied?

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
And what hubris to even ask for a personal loan of a priceless work of art by one of the greatest painters who ever lived--something that is an important part of humanity's collective culture and history (which is why it's in a museum).
US Presidents.

http://www.artnews.com/2018/01/25/d...fered-maurizio-cattelans-gold-toilet-instead/

Presidents typically borrow work from the Smithsonian, and sometimes other institutions, for display in the White House.

-cb

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
That would be my first thought. Heck, as it is, when they leave the White House the staff better count the silverware and the official china sets. And everything else that isn't nailed down. What do you want to bet they catch him trying to steal the Oval Office desk?

On the other hand, anyone think he'd even notice a reproduction? Not a print, which the cleaning staff or security might be sharp enough to notice, but one of those quickie-mall-art reproductions 'done in real oils'. If it's in their personal quarters, who's going to notice, as long as the signature is properly copied?

He wouldn't notice a reproduction if the signature was sufficiently copied. I simply don't believe he has the attention span for such things.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He wouldn't notice a reproduction if the signature was sufficiently copied. I simply don't believe he has the attention span for such things.
tbf, a good forgery is hard to spot. I'm not pro-Trump, I'm just pro- let's not assume every stupid thing he's done is not something we'd do. Not every. single. stupid thing. His thing is - he does a lot more of the stupid.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And of the vicious and vindictive.

caw
and all of the horrible things. But he'll be gone soon; and when he's gone we need to not tell ourselves that we - or the next person - aren't as bad as the trump. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard than that because - he's a singularity.

One hopes.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
and all of the horrible things. But he'll be gone soon; and when he's gone we need to not tell ourselves that we - or the next person - aren't as bad as the trump. We need to hold ourselves to a higher standard than that because - he's a singularity.

One hopes.
Yes. This is no time to make 'Well, at least he's not quite as bad as Trump' the new standard. A higher standard is what's wanted.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. On that note, Cynthia Nixon is planning a run for New York governor, I read today. I'm sorry, she's going to have to start smaller. We don't need inexperience to be the new normal.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

In their private quarters? If that's true, I find it rather appalling.

One hopes.

I hope so too, but the people who voted for him and still support him, in spite of all the idiocy, aren't going anywhere, even if they lose the next election cycle.

I really hope he hasn't lowered the bar permanently, but I worry that he has.

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

I don't think reality is that important to him.

See also:

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/donald-trump-fake-renoir-1117814

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
In their private quarters? If that's true, I find it rather appalling.
If an artwork is available (ex: retired and put back in storage until the next exhibit) then why not? I'm sure the artwork is taken back if some exhibition needs it, and the WH private quarters is not the likely place for artwork heist.

-cb

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If an artwork is available (ex: retired and put back in storage until the next exhibit) then why not? I'm sure the artwork is taken back if some exhibition needs it, and the WH private quarters is not the likely place for artwork heist.

-cb

That's different from requesting something that is currently on display, or being moved somewhere for a special exhibition. Still, it seems sort of, I don't know, king like, to do this. The Presidency comes with certain privileges, which is fine, but still, the things in the Smithsonian belong to everyone. But the painting in question was displayed by the Guggenheim, not the Smithsonian, which is, in essence, the US national museum.

It's also the case that all works of art are not created equal, even when displayed in a famous museum. A Van Gogh isn't the same as a more recent work from an artist few of us have heard of, even if it's very good.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think reality is that important to him.

Au contraire. He believes he owns and defines reality. That it is his reality only, and not that of any one else, is inconsequential. He doesn't even recognize such a petty thing as somebody else's reality.

And that's what is truly truly scary about this pig of a man.

caw