Please delete this thread. Flammability of whiskey barrels (125 proof) on a wagon train

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry administrator - Can you delete this? I couldn't find my older thread until after I had posted this. I'll send you a mail.

I'm working on the tension 2/3 of the way through my story and I'm considering having the whiskey wagon go up in a conflagration. This is the current leading contender for 'how to add tension.' (I had previously thought to have a swarm of hornets spook the oxen, but a fire ties into the book's theme better.)

I am thinking that one of the barrels is slowly leaking into the wooden wagon bed during the wagon train's journey. The bumping trail and heat and so on makes this seem reasonable to me.

And, some newcomer to the wagon trail starts the evening campfire too close to the wagon, the land is in drought, and embers/sparks/something blows from the fire to the wagon.

I think if the bed is soaked with 125 proof whiskey (it could be 160 proof, physically that's what I think wheat whiskey can be distilled at, the 125 proof is a regulatory thing on our world and doesn't need to apply) But anyway, I think if 125 proof whiskey is soaking into the wagon bed, that it could easily catch and burn hot.

My question is how the other oak barrels of whiskey handle the fire. I imagine they char, start to leak, and add fuel to the flames.

I don't imagine they explode, or form fireballs. But they might? if the fire is hot enough.

So, I'm asking for feedback about this scenario. (1) is the fire likely to start as I outlined it in paragraph 4? (2) will the fire char the other barrels and lead to a hotter more dangerous fire, if the whiskey is 125 - 160 proof? (3) Will the barrels explode, or simply flare as they fall apart assuming they fall apart. (5) If the barrels char but are not destroyed, is the whiskey salvageable? Can it still be sold. ( (6) is it reasonable that they would not have noticed the leak? )

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.