Writing a Novella

SaifTheWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

So I've decided to write a Novella. Except...I've never written short fiction before. I'm currently also writing a novel, my novella is based on the world I've created in my Novel (Futuristic London).

So...tips for writing novellas would be hugely helpful.

Also how do I go about publishing this? Should I do it traditionally knowing that my later novels will ideally be published traditionally too or should I self publish as this is simply a novella and not my main novel?

Thanks in advance

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's very, very difficult to get a novella trade published - which I expect is what you mean by 'traditionally' published. I would focus on the main work, and plan to self-pub the novella.

ETA: What a load of old cobblers this is. Honestly! Do try to keep up, mccardey...

Last edited:

SaifTheWriter

Registered
Reaction score
It's very, very difficult to get a novella trade published - which I expect is what you mean by 'traditionally' published. I would focus on the main work, and plan to self-pub the novella.

Thanks, this is helpful. Yes I do mean that.

tnfalpha

Registered
Reaction score
Novellas are an excellent form. I think a great place to start is by reading them (but that's probably self-evident lol). Since your writing spec fic, you should check out Tor.com - they are a big name in the novella market. As an aside, they sometimes, very rarely, take unsolisted/unagented novella subs but would probably take 10,000 years to respond.

I want to write novellas in the future, so am also interested to see what others have to say on the matter.

Best of luck!

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I love novellas! I wrote one of my own last year and am still revising it now. My biggest tip is this: cut the fluff. Focus on one story line and never get bogged down in tempting side plots (you simply don't have enough room to fully develop them) or long, rambling passages (again, takes up too much precious story-telling room in such a short work).

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
+1 to checking out Tor.com's offerings.

I luuuuurrrve novellas. I'm in the middle of writing a novella series, each with its own plot but also with a couple of larger plots developing over the course of the series. No clue if I'll ever be able to sell it anywhere (my agent is not sanguine about its prospects in the trade arena) but damn I'm having fun writing it. :)

I wouldn't say "no side plots allowed" in a novella--that's more a short story thing. But subplots in a novella probably work best when they tie well into the main plot at the end of the day.

SaifTheWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Yay! I love novellas! I wrote one of my own last year and am still revising it now. My biggest tip is this: cut the fluff. Focus on one story line and never get bogged down in tempting side plots (you simply don't have enough room to fully develop them) or long, rambling passages (again, takes up too much precious story-telling room in such a short work).

Okay thanks that's helpful! How many words were you aiming for in your novella?

SaifTheWriter

Registered
Reaction score
+1 to checking out Tor.com's offerings.

I luuuuurrrve novellas. I'm in the middle of writing a novella series, each with its own plot but also with a couple of larger plots developing over the course of the series. No clue if I'll ever be able to sell it anywhere (my agent is not sanguine about its prospects in the trade arena) but damn I'm having fun writing it. :)

I wouldn't say "no side plots allowed" in a novella--that's more a short story thing. But subplots in a novella probably work best when they tie well into the main plot at the end of the day.

Haha that's interesting, How many novellas were you aiming for, for a series? And I'm gonna check Tor.com now.

Last edited:

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
I was aiming for 50,000 (verrrry minimum novel length, borderline novella) but my story ended up coming to about 44,000 words. After editing, I expect it'll be more around 42,000 words or something similar.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Haha that's interesting, How many novellas were you aiming for, for a series? And I'm gonna check Tor.com now.

I'm on #6 now. I'm guessing maybe 12-14 altogether -- I'll see as the larger story develops. They're running from 21K to 30K words each.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great topic and helps me. I have, roughly, a 40,000 word novella that I am on the fourth draft of editing.

Seems to make sense now to self-publish. Thanks everyone!

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Also how do I go about publishing this? Should I do it traditionally knowing that my later novels will ideally be published traditionally too or should I self publish as this is simply a novella and not my main novel?

Actually, right now there's a lot more opportunities for novella-length work in SFF than there has been in a while, and not just tor.com. Which isn't to say it's easy to sell one, but if it's well-written enough it's not in any way out of the question.

My biggest tip is this: cut the fluff. Focus on one story line and never get bogged down in tempting side plots (you simply don't have enough room to fully develop them) or long, rambling passages (again, takes up too much precious story-telling room in such a short work).

I tend to be very digressive w/ my plots and I've sold novellas at professional rates, so this is another YMMV thing.

Basically, my advice is write the best story you can. Worry more about the flow and plot and characters and how those things work together than about meeting a specific length, but when it's done as best as you can make it, don't self-reject right out of the box if being traditionally published is what you'd prefer.

As to how to sell it, this link might be helpful.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score

Just wanted to quickly point out that, though this was very true once, the tides have changed. Novellas are definitely *in* these days, and I think they’ve become much more popular than short stories in what readers actually enjoy reading (and so will spend their hard earned money on).

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, right now there's a lot more opportunities for novella-length work in SFF than there has been in a while, and not just tor.com. Which isn't to say it's easy to sell one, but if it's well-written enough it's not in any way out of the question.

Just wanted to quickly point out that, though this was very true once, the tides have changed. Novellas are definitely *in* these days, and I think they’ve become much more popular than short stories in what readers actually enjoy reading (and so will spend their hard earned money on).

oh lord, I'm so out of touch! Sorry, OP. Ignore my comment.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I've run across a number of novellas lately. Generally, I purchase them, thinking I'm getting a good deal on a novel (or thinking a new novel by a writer I enjoy is out) and end up mildly disappointed when they turn out to be so short. e-format makes it less clear what the "thickness" of the book I'm purchasing is. Nonetheless, some of them are excellent and just the right length for the story they are telling. I've also seen more writers publishing novellas that are strung together series-wise into a longer story or that tell a supplemental tale within their universe.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Though it's true that a few more novella markets have sprung up, there are still far more opportunities for novels in trade publishing. It's not unusual to see authors with trade novels who self-publish their companion novellas. A small growth in a small market is still a small market. Now, in self-publishing, novellas are everywhere, but that's a different kettle of fish.

Also keep in mind that in the SFF world, a novella is 17500 to 40000 words. More than that is a novel, but one that's shorter than the usual desired length for trade publishing.

Greyburne

Registered
Reaction score
Saif, maybe the question to ask is what you're trying to accomplish in writing the novella. Is it to explore the world you're building? Character development? Have you got a particular theme or concept you're interested in exploring that might not be worthy of a whole novel? Seems like your path would follow logically from the answer, but basically I don't see much difference between writing a novella and a novel other than a novella should be more focused. I suppose the short form would be a good opportunity to practice sharp, precise writing as well. You can say a lot more in a lot less space if you say things succinctly.