Almost Time for Me to Start My Writing Adventure

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I joined January 5th. I learned a lot since joining. Part of the reason I joined is to interact with as many people as I could (hence my high post count) before I started writing. To learn what works and does not work for others, and so forth. For the balance of March, I will finish data entrying Sanderson lecture notes (17 pages of color coded tables in Word, and way too many more coming!) and maybe find a couple days before I start writing my first book (of, if I can sell it and it does well, a series).

I decided I wanted to write a book on a Friday. The following Monday, I started the process of learning and researching (Aug. 14, 2017). Almost time to sit down and see if what I learned pays off.

For those that helped me out with some matters, and you know who you are, THANK YOU! This is a fantastic community. I will keep coming by, but less frequently for the balance of March. My goal is to go into full forum hibernation as I write and get an alpha draft completed in 10 weeks (minimum), but I think 12 weeks is more practical. I'll be back when my book is finished (Mid-June to sometime July). It won't be a straight 10-12 weeks. I will take some strategic days off here and there. If writing the book takes longer, I expect the possibility of extending my target, finish date.

It's been great learning during my time here. Best of luck to everyone in meeting their goals and aspirations.

Cheers,
Enlightened

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I can feel the excitement in your post! It's infectious. I'm so glad you are finding this site useful. I learned more in my first six weeks here than in the previous 5 years of trying to learn as I went. My writing is way better than it was when I came, but my understanding of the publishing business is infinitely vaster and has paid off by being able to get several manuscripts through to publication.

After all this preparation you've undertaken, I suspect you might hit walls from time to time in your 10 to 12 weeks of dedicated writing. This is expected and natural! If would be strange if you didn't experience this. I would not have been able to drive a car only by reading the DOT rules of the road manual, participating in driver's fora, and talking about driving over coffee with other drivers of various skill and experience. You MUST do it! As frustrating as your likely blocks and slow spots will be, I hope you welcome them (as cheerfully as you can) as challenges that you will emerge from a stronger writer with more skills to tell a good story well. When these happen, find your own way through them. You don't get any extra points by doing things they way I or anyone else would. You only get extra points by building your skills as a writer, and by making me breathless as a reader.

All the best to you! I look forward to hearing how things go for you.