• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Chain Fence

Status
Not open for further replies.

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
My Chain-Link Fence

It rises up, too tall to climb,
but I can still look through
at all the tales I wish I'd tell,
the things I wish I'd do.

Good news, everyone! I can write a poem! The bad news is I seem to struggle to write much else. I had come here with a vow that I wouldn't complain too much about my writer's block, but as I saw there is a forum dedicated to writer's block, I thought I'd go ahead and share my frustrations and ideas. As per my values, I'll try to be as constructive as I can.

The Good Times: I won two NaNoWriMos in a row — 2011 and 2012. I'm sure I wrote freely past that point, but those are the last tangible memories of success that I have. I never had much of a writing practice, but I was a prolific roleplayer, and both NaNos hit me halfway through the month. My highest word count in a day was over 12,000! It was so much fun. In 2011, I remember getting really sick of my story, pretty much hating it, and just pushing forward to be done already. But in 2012 I got super into my story, and while I never completed it, I really enjoyed exploring the backstory and characters, getting so much down on paper and letting the rest stir in my head. It was so much fun.

The Villain: Is it depression? I've had a hard time handling it for years, and anxiety as well. In fact, it's probably anxiety more than it is depression. I try to make prose and I just... freak out? It's strange. I feel like I'm choking. Like I'm pulling out my fingernails. It's so incredibly unpleasant to try to write, and it's such a shame because I have so many stories I want to tell. It's like I need to write. It's like I need to feel that feeling again, but the same task no longer brings the same feeling. I want to figure out why, because I refuse to think that I just don't like to write any more. There's no particular reason I wouldn't like writing. It's just anxiety. It's an unwillingness to be uncomfortable, maybe.

A Possible Strategy: If it's an unwillingness to be uncomfortable, maybe I need to sit with that feeling. Maybe I need to sit down in front of a blank page and put words on it. My therapist thinks I give into my anxiety too much — I run away. Maybe I need to stop running away. Maybe I need to sit with that blank page long enough to get bored of the fear and write something down just so I can go do something else.

I also need to find what makes writing fun for me, as well. I've still done a little bit of roleplaying here and there throughout the years of "major block," but I haven't been nearly as prolific, and I've gotten incredibly limited in what I write. The more a story demands of me, the more anxious I get about it, so I tend to tell myself, "Well, just write something simple. Something easy. Don't go world-building, or craft ornate descriptions." I have yet to grow past that stage. I've planned stories for them to never take off because I struggle to write that first chunk of prose. So I have to find the fun. I have to want to write more than I want to run.

Thank you for reading my thoughts!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a carrot-stick system to motivate yourself. A big one for me is the challenge of writing a multi-book series, to learn if I can even do it. What is your carrot?

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I think that makes sense.

I'm going to be a part of a game-development group. It's a two-year commitment. I'm coming in from the angle of being the "writer," which can be really intimidating when I haven't written much substance in a while.

As a computer programmer (the main focus of the group), the opportunity shook a lot of perfectionism out of me about learning to code. I finally said to myself, "Okay, this thing starts in April — I have a lot to get done, and I gotta get it done fast."

Maybe it can work this way for writing, too. Because if I can't get myself to start actually making even a little bit of something by the end of March, I might be missing a huge opportunity. I want this, and I can do this.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
There ya go. Confidence and commitment are both needed. One drives the other. A positive disposition towards the effort is a great start.

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for helping me think about it!

I also just realized I might want to change my method of writing. It seems I struggle often going from blank page to prose, but that's what I keep trying. Maybe if I start out by writing down my ideas and fleshing out details, I might be able to eventually turn all those details into prose. Knowing what I'm trying to write might just help me write it!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Pantser (writing by the seat of your pants) <----- Spectrum-----> Plotter (outliner)

I think everyone exists somewhere on this spectrum. I am more heavy on the plotter end of the spectrum. A warning, if you do too much plotting, you can end up doing what I did.... Creating a fictional universe that spans 30 years, 4 eras, and a potential of 17 books. :D

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'd rather do that than have nothing! ^^ Even if the books aren't written, for me there's a sense of fulfillment in having the story. Once it's in your head, though, you gotta start writing it down, even if it's not prose!

Status
Not open for further replies.