Hey there!

redheadedgremlin

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be honest - I have never been a part of a legit writing group before, and more so a group of any kind that was this huge. In my freshman and sophomore years of college I did join a small creative writing group, but their focus was poetry, and then the occasional short story here and there to spice up the atmosphere. I found that there was little to no support for those of us working on full length novel projects aside from the occasional, "Hey, neat idea!" That led me to search the internet.

So... here I am. Hello, AbsoluteWrite.

I've been writing since I was about ten years old and the only reason it started was because my teacher had tricked me into it. Before that, I was the kid who hated books. They were never interesting to me and I would have preferred to be doing anything but. This man kept pushing book after book, determined to find at least one that would catch my attention; I don't know why he was so insistent that there was a book out there that would do this but for whatever reason, he would not budge. Each time I would try but it was a dead end. Until this giant teddy bear of a man shoved Inkheart by Cornelia Funke into my tiny little hands.

I finished it in a day. I'm still shocked that I did this, because holy crap-I was ten! For those who have never heard of this book, it's a YA fantasy novel with 500 and some pages of words; the main character, Meggie, and her father have this special ability that I found myself craving to have. When I returned the book to my teacher the next day, I asked if he had the sequel. We had a simple discussion about it because he wanted to know why this book in particular changed my mind. I explained how I wanted to be like Meggie. It would make sense if you read the book and knew the ending, but his answer to that was to hand me a blank piece of paper and say, "Then do it."

From that moment on, I was hooked.

Most of my writing focuses in the fantasy genre (high/medieval and urban/horror), though if I get a spark for the right idea, I can see myself writing anything. I tend to read the same type of genres but if it catches my interest even the slightest, I'll give it a go. I'm also excited to be a Beta; I find that it helps me with my own editing and writing, so why not?

Hopefully that wasn't too long of a first post. Would this be considered rambling...? I do that enough in person. Anywho, can't wait to talk and work with you guys!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Your teacher sounds like a pusher, but in a good way! :D You found a great community!

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - RHGremlin

(Us redheads need to stick together - Although, a lot of mine has turned grey, at this point) :Shrug:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome gremlin, best of luck going forward with your projects.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, Red.

Currently writing a niche amateur detective series, but I certainly read tons of sci-fi and horror.

Here's hoping you find the critique group or partner at AW to lend support. :greenie

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Gremlin! (Is it okay if I call you that? I love calling people/creatures gremlins!)

I'm really touched by your story. I've also been writing since I was about 10 — maybe earlier — but around 10 is when I had my most formative experiences around it. I started out with collaborative writing (or, more specifically, roleplaying), and here I am, nearly 15 years later. I've personally been dealing with a pretty bad writer's block, and I'm trying to recapture the fun and love of writing. So reading your story really made me smile. Thank you!

CameronJohnston

Great Old One
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cameronjohnston.net
Hello, and welcome to AW! I feel you on the writing group issue - if you write genre fiction it can be really hard to find a really good group, and especially if you are working on a novel-length piece. Luckily AW has a superb scifi/fantasy and horror sections where you can meet like-minded folk.

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
I have a giant crush on your teacher, who ever his is! And welcome.

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
That's an excellent (and well-told!) writer origin story, welcome to AW!

Kiteya

Registered
Reaction score
Woah, cool story! It's so nice to meet another fantasy writer/reader. I have yet to read Inkheart, but I've heard it's good! I hope you enjoy it here on Absolute Write. Welcome to the community!

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
Most of my writing focuses in the fantasy genre (high/medieval and urban/horror), though if I get a spark for the right idea, I can see myself writing anything. I tend to read the same type of genres but if it catches my interest even the slightest, I'll give it a go. I'm also excited to be a Beta; I find that it helps me with my own editing and writing, so why not?

Hopefully that wasn't too long of a first post. Would this be considered rambling...? I do that enough in person. Anywho, can't wait to talk and work with you guys!

welcome redheadedgremlin...

i cant wait myself to get started reading others stuff and give good hearted critique.
i like what you said about reading other genres if it interests you, and i look forward to swapping ms and giving feedback.
likewise im not too much into horror but if any book catches my interest i'll read it.
and ill read almost anything if asked to for a critique

glad you are hear

christoph