Hello! Kara, Present! :)

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, AW! My name is Kara. I'm a 24 year old young woman living in California, USA, and I'm happy to be here!

I want to write mostly in the realms of fantasy and romance, as those are my two favorite ingredients of a good story. I also tend towards more interactive forms of writing — most of my previous writing has been through roleplaying, and now I'm very interested in making interactive storylines. I'm also going to take on the storyteller role for a game development learning group starting soon.

I've had a hard time breaking through a many-year writer's block as of late, but I won't complain about it too much. What I'm trying to do is find my way around it and figure out what actions will get me through. I think it's important to make writing and storytelling fun for myself again. And I think being a part of a community, rather than going it alone, is a big step in that process.

Thanks for having me!

x Kara

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Hello and welcome Xkara. Best of luck with your projects. I imagine you'll find some helpful stuff here once you start poking around the various forums. Not to mention all the helpful people as well :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Welcome to the Asylum, xKara. There are tons of sub-forums that should be right up your alley. There are a number of places for talking about the skill and/or business of writing as well as places for silly conversations. Take your time, get to know the place, and then feel free to jump in to one of the threads. Most people here don't bite (albeit, some may growl on occasion, just whack them with a newspaper and tell them to behave).

Hope you have a great time and welcome, again.

averydarkword

Cat lover
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kara and welcome! I hope you will have a great time here. I'm new just like you!
When you do create that group count me in! :D

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cinnamon and nutmeg are two of my favorite ingredients. :snoopy:

What? Oh, wait!

I thought we were talking about baking.

Nevermind.

:welcome: - xKara

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man, I just spent too much time trying to figure out how to reply before I realized I wasn't logged in. And here, I thought I was a veteran of forum software! :p

Thank you, everyone, for the warm welcome! I'm really looking forward to getting to know all of you over time. ^^

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Best of luck in breaking through the writer's block, Kara, and welcome to AW!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to the board, hope you find what you're looking for.

-Derek (saw you in AW chat yesterday!)

rawan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kara! I also joined AW (I'm new, too) to help me get back on track with writing-- I've had a couple years of not writing as much as I would like. So we have something in common!

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, everyone! :) Writer's Block is definitely quite the devil, but I'm sure we'll all turn out all right. ^^

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
hi kara,

welcome
im a newbie here too

it is very important, i think to make story telling fun.
may i make a suggestion?... lol rhetorical right!

fantasy and romance.
so maybe pick a TIME FRAME OF HISTORY and maybe some famous events or people from that time
and research it , research it, research it, cut and paste for hours.
and hopefully get an idea or five to explore about turning that time frame and events people into a fantasy romance.
whether its literal in the era but with magic, or make it all on another fantasy world disguised as a fantasy culture

best wishes

christoph

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW :) There's whole threads on breaking through writer's block, or at least commiserating with people similarly suffering, which oddly, also seems to help. Good luck with the writing!

Thanks, Cameron! I definitely found the Writer's Block area, and I'm glad I did. Gives me an outlet to talk about it and reach out to others. :)

hi kara,

welcome
im a newbie here too

it is very important, i think to make story telling fun.
may i make a suggestion?... lol rhetorical right!

fantasy and romance.
so maybe pick a TIME FRAME OF HISTORY and maybe some famous events or people from that time
and research it , research it, research it, cut and paste for hours.
and hopefully get an idea or five to explore about turning that time frame and events people into a fantasy romance.
whether its literal in the era but with magic, or make it all on another fantasy world disguised as a fantasy culture

best wishes

christoph

Thank you, and welcome to you as well! That's a great idea, and I might give it a try sometime. ^^

CAQuinn

Registered
Reaction score
your very welcome xkara

i also made a post/thread called western narrative tradition
you may want to check it out!
yeah i really want to eventually teach writing!

christoph