Comp Titles for a Magic School Story

Emissarius

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

This is probably too specific, but I'm trying to think of good upper-MG books with a full-fledged magic school that came out in the last three or four years. Miss Ellicott's School for the Magically Minded is on the younger side of the spectrum. Magisterium is a bad choice imo cause hardly anybody seems to like it. Keeper of the Lost Cities was a good book but the magic school wasn't its strong point. The Magic Thief and The Tapestry series are too old.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I'd love it if this thread turns into a general discussion on MG school fiction. Doesn't have to be magical!

Last edited:

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
School for Good and Evil? It’s not just a magic school but it’s a school at which magic is taught and it has the upper MG flavor you might be looking for.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I quite enjoyed magisterium. It's got quite a good average rating on goodreads and sold well. I don't think there's anything wrong with that as a comp but obviously you know your book better than us. I can't really think of any other recent ones to help though.

Emissarius

Registered
Reaction score
School for Good and Evil? It’s not just a magic school but it’s a school at which magic is taught and it has the upper MG flavor you might be looking for.

Slipped my mind entirely, thanks!

I quite enjoyed magisterium. It's got quite a good average rating on goodreads and sold well. I don't think there's anything wrong with that as a comp but obviously you know your book better than us. I can't really think of any other recent ones to help though.

Although successful, I don't think many authors would like to associate their works with Magisterium. It's too damn infamous for its lack of originality and blatant HP-ripoff.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score

That's the first one I thought of. I didn't really like it...But the cover was pretty.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
The only other two I can find that fit are
Avis blackthorn is not an evil wizard by Jack Simmonds and Elizabeth' legacy (royal institute of magic) by Victor kloss. Both were released in 2014 and might be worth checking out.

Emissarius

Registered
Reaction score
That's the first one I thought of. I didn't really like it...But the cover was pretty.

The cover art reminded me of French cartoons for some reason. The book was pretty good imo (the ending sucked, though). Lots of parents criticized it's being MG cause one of the girls is too obsessed with a guy and she wears skimpy clothes most of the time.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
By the ending you mean the end of the trilogy? Cuz yeah that was pretty disappointing. I really liked the first book though.

Emissarius

Registered
Reaction score
By the ending you mean the end of the trilogy? Cuz yeah that was pretty disappointing. I really liked the first book though.

Absolutely right.

Anyone enjoy the Fairy Tale Reform School series or Nevermoor?

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I JUST checked out Nevermoor from the library as I am also in search of magic school comps. Though I have to say my book is a lot more standard school drama than most magic schools tend to be. there's no "big bad".

Whibs123

Registered
Reaction score
Magic - I think that's what it's called - with Septiumus Heap - - I know the series started years ago, but it's going strong and it's excellent.

Cindy From Oregon

Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked at Rules for Thieves by Alexandra Ott? It's got magical elements, and is a good read to boot. She's just come out with a sequel.

Emissarius

Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked at Rules for Thieves by Alexandra Ott? It's got magical elements, and is a good read to boot. She's just come out with a sequel.

Not yet, but I'll definitely check it out.

Magic - I think that's what it's called - with Septiumus Heap - - I know the series started years ago, but it's going strong and it's excellent.

Magyk! I have the whole series but only read the first two books. I didn't like the writing style or the head-hopping!

Do you guys consider Percy Jackson as Harry Potter or Hunger Games-sized? Would u mention PJ as a comp title in your query letter?

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'd considered comping Percy Jackson to be just shy of comping Harry Potter.

Emissarius

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I'd considered comping Percy Jackson to be just shy of comping Harry Potter.

I guess so. Although I always believed Harry Potter is light years ahead of Percy Jackson and beats it in every category. I always thought PJ's fame, while deserved, was aided by a collective desire from editors/ publishers to find North America's answer to HP, and PJ just happened to arrive at the ideal moment.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In every question ever asked about the book industry, Harry Potter is the exception or the extreme. I wouldn't say that Percy Jackson is at the level of "don't comp" as Harry Potter, but I still wouldn't comp it because it did get that huge marketing push and is a pretty big name in the upper MG world.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Percy hit another element: dyslexia. Disability becomes ability is a theme many kids go for. We all have things we think make us less. He also created a rise in knowledge and readership for Greek myths (and perhaps started a new trend of myth-based fiction, although it did exist beforehand). Not a bad legacy.