• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Too much information to read.

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score
This is the beginning to my MS. I am trying to convey an opinion regarding the technological advancements of the 21st C. iPhones, pads, the internet, FB, Instagram, etc. A thought that we all are connected so tightly because of technology.
Currently, it is written in a blog that the main character reads aloud. It's a little over 400 words. The character would never read this long of an article aloud. Any thoughts on how to deliver this info to the reader in a more creative way?
The obvious is a prologue but the consensus is that prologues are annoying to most readers. Block Quotes are not something I am looking to do either.
Any thoughts?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You've got more than 50 posts, why not put an excerpt in SYW?

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
Could they be discussing it with someone?
Something like - hey I read this article about..... It's fascinating...(Summary points) - make the other person mention something/ask a question so they get to say more about the subject.

If it's something they're interested in someone could be placating them by pretending to listen or be amused at their enthusiasm.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
There's not a one-off, simple solution.

(Imagine if someone said you--I'm using this example because you've done screenwriting-- 'how do I write dialogue which engages'; the answer would be as long as a movie script. Similar deal here.)

How do books you like, handle the same thing? I would start by emulating them.

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
How about as internal observations while walking through the setting. See a person on their phone, inner comment. See a person on laptop, inner comment. See a group of people taking a selfie, inner comment. etc.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
It's much more palatable to sneak an opinion along with the plot. Find a scene where his opinion will fit naturally. If somebody else uses the internet, your character will have a reason to comment on that, they could snort derisively and say how they think using all that modern technology is a bad thing. Or, you can still have a scene where your character writes the blog, or reads somebody else's blog and agrees with the opinion there. But 400 words is a bit much as an opinion and may sound like you are lecturing the reader. It's a full-blown speech and you'll have to have a good reason to include a speech (and not a condensed version in a few lines).

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When news travels globally in seconds, how can those of us who have access to the relative technology not feel connected ?

Why does it have to take 400 words to say that. Perhaps the manner of delivery of the opinion is important, but there is the danger of telling the reader the obvious.

Post it in SYW, as already suggested, and it may be easier for folk to pass thoughts on its effectiveness.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
If your POV of modern technology is somewhat negative, you could show this via dialog between two older guys.

Heck - I just got back from having lunch with a friend of mine... you could have recorded our conversation and used it verbatim.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
It's much more palatable to sneak an opinion along with the plot. Find a scene where his opinion will fit naturally. If somebody else uses the internet, your character will have a reason to comment on that, they could snort derisively and say how they think using all that modern technology is a bad thing. Or, you can still have a scene where your character writes the blog, or reads somebody else's blog and agrees with the opinion there. But 400 words is a bit much as an opinion and may sound like you are lecturing the reader. It's a full-blown speech and you'll have to have a good reason to include a speech (and not a condensed version in a few lines).

Yup. You risk the dreaded info dump otherwise.

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Ready Player One and I was really impressed by how the author handled all the info that needed to be dumped in the beginning. It's futuristic (2045) and explains a lot of technology advancements in simple, interesting ways. If you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Ready Player One and I was really impressed by how the author handled all the info that needed to be dumped in the beginning. It's futuristic (2045) and explains a lot of technology advancements in simple, interesting ways. If you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend.

Technically, I think that was a lot of info-dumping. But SF as a genre is traditionally far more tolerant of the info-dump, since the world-building itself is part of what SF readers like.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score

This is on my Kindle read list from a good friend whose read probably more books than at least half this forum members can claim - which is saying something. I think she goes through over 100 books a year for the nearly two decades I've known her...!

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score

Great tip. Thank you. I will. I enjoy reading how others have handled similar challenges.

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score
When news travels globally in seconds, how can those of us who have access to the relative technology not feel connected ?

Why does it have to take 400 words to say that. Perhaps the manner of delivery of the opinion is important, but there is the danger of telling the reader the obvious.

Post it in SYW, as already suggested, and it may be easier for folk to pass thoughts on its effectiveness.

Thank you I will share my work.

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score
I went to "SYW" and copy and pasted the writing that is causing me trouble. I hope that is how you do it in SYW. I read the sticky notes but didn't see another way to post my writing.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I went to "SYW" and copy and pasted the writing that is causing me trouble. I hope that is how you do it in SYW. I read the sticky notes but didn't see another way to post my writing.

Which genre section did you choose?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you call this a prologue, it is a prologue. It's actually a worse kind of prologue than the infodump prologue: it's the opinion essay prologue.

The appropriate place for this kind of thing is the theme of the book. Don't tell the reader that we're tightly connected because of technology. Tell them a story with events that lead them to that conclusion (and probably an opinion about whether that's good or bad).