Hire a Teacher When the Lessons Have Been Learned?

Lord_Champion

Registered
Reaction score
I obtained a traditional 3-book deal April, 2017. Before this, I had hired a developmental editor that taught me a lot about writing and helped me get to a professional level; if not for her, I wouldn't have gotten as good as I did. Now the dilemma is the following: my publisher provides free, quality editing for me as part of the contract. My old mentor is expensive, especially to an undergrad student like me. Should I still hire my old mentor even though I absorbed the lessons well (active voice vs. passive voice, showing vs. telling, sentence structure variation)? Or should I stick with my publisher's quality and free services?

I don't mean to sound arrogant - I'm simply stating an honest evaluation of my improvement and the opinion is shared by beta readers I have.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Jettisoning your assigned editor from your publisher isn't an option. They expect to work with you and only you in making whatever changes need made to your manuscript. There are time constraints that an outside editor may not be able to abide by, too.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And I can't see your new publisher being pleased at input from a second, outside, editor, once the publisher has taken you on. As your thread title suggests: why hire a teacher when the lessons have been learned? A nice mention on the acknowledgments, perhaps, or a dedication, might be a nice gesture, though.

Lord_Champion

Registered
Reaction score
And I can't see your new publisher being pleased at input from a second, outside, editor, once the publisher has taken you on. As your thread title suggests: why hire a teacher when the lessons have been learned? A nice mention on the acknowledgments, perhaps, or a dedication, might be a nice gesture, though.

A very good point. I do mention her in the acknowledgements.

- - - Updated - - -

Jettisoning your assigned editor from your publisher isn't an option. They expect to work with you and only you in making whatever changes need made to your manuscript. There are time constraints that an outside editor may not be able to abide by, too.

I didn't even think of it that way. Well this solidifies my decision to stick with my publisher's services. It's expected now.

Pisco Sour

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even think of it that way. Well this solidifies my decision to stick with my publisher's services. It's expected now.

Read you contract, get to grips with the clause/s re editing-especially if it says your publisher reserves the right to a final decision on changes. Also, don't be afraid to 'stet' those things which you feel strongly about and have a valid reason for writing in a certain way. It's good to be flexible with other changes and foments a healthy working relationship (especially if you have to work on another 2 books with same editor). Editing with your publisher's staff is very different from working with somebody you are paying for a service. For example, your publisher might have its own 'house style', or prefer certain syntax or grammar usage. Eg. I write British English, and though my publisher is fine with that, mostly, when I write for them I conjugate perfect tenses of the verb 'to get' with the American use of participle 'gotten' instead of UK's 'got' (have gotten v. have got).

HTH