Registered
Reaction score
o,0 :( T_T

So sad and upsetting.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Depressing, though not entirely unexpected... still outlived all expectations.

Back to stardust...

How insanely he did sort of makes it more depressing, though that may not make logical sense.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Just saw it and was about to post. One of the people for whom the term "giant" can be applied without hesitation of modification. A man who not only had extraordinary brilliance, but the super-extraordinary will to overcome a devastating condition and excel beyond the dreams of just about everyone.

caw

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Came over here to post about this.

A man who knew how to get to infinity and beyond, whose great experiment to dis/prove time travel was to throw a party and see if anyone showed up, who liked to run his students down in a souped up chair, who was beloved by his children's friends for never talking down to them and always answering their questions without berating them, who defied expectations, who made himself known and seen and heard, who poked fun at himself when afforded the opportunity, and who literally redefined the universe as we know it.

He was Riker's Data's poker buddy, Sheldon's nemesis / inspiration, and on occasion his own animated head.

This is how a titan falls.

Godspeed, sir. RIP.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like Newton or Einstein passing. I saw him at a talk in Seattle and was ecstatic to see people in front of the theater with signs begging for tickets. Made me proud.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
From Crosby, Stills, and Nash:
"We are stardust, we are golden
We are billion year old carbon
And we got to get ourselves back to the garden"
Farewell, Mr. Hawking, a majestic combination of stardust and carbon.

travelgal

Registered
Reaction score
A giant. So sad, but he had outlived all expectations. His suffering must have been horrible.

Anyone see that movie released about him a coupla years back?

Rest In Peace.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

shrimpsdad

Registered
Reaction score
I know I just read about it. Sad does not explain what I am feeling. Can you imagine being trapped in his body? All of that genius begging to come out. Imagine what he could have done for this world if free from his wheelchair and all of his motor skills. Look at what he did even with his limitations.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still weeping at the news. I haven't been so profoundly moved from the loss of another person in a long time. I opened up my pdf of his thesis Properties of Expanding Universes that he graciously released to the public in October. I wish I could understand it.

Professor Yaffle

Registered
Reaction score
Here is Stephen Hawking's version of the Galaxy song.

Goodbye to his sense of the universe, his sense of humour and joy, and a life fully lived.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know I just read about it. Sad does not explain what I am feeling. Can you imagine being trapped in his body? All of that genius begging to come out. Imagine what he could have done for this world if free from his wheelchair and all of his motor skills. Look at what he did even with his limitations.

When he appears in interviews or programs it always looks like he can reply in the same timeframe of normal speech. He can't. At the end of the program I saw him at, he took a few questions. It took him a very long time to construct the answers. Makes one appreciate even more what an incredible person he was.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

He lived a life that would (and does) break just about everyone else. Can't find it in me to be too sad when anyone is released from what he went through. Onward into the Universe!

I'm proud to tell you one of my cousins is married to the guy who designed the equipment that made it possible for him to write. (And cousin-in-law originally designed that equipment for my aunt, his wife's mother, who died in the early '90s of Lou Ehrig's disease.)

We'll chant for him.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what Hawking's funeral arrangements are, but if he's to be cremated, I vote for having Elon Musk launch his ashes into the cosmos. Nothing would be a more fitting tribute to a great life greatly lived under the most trying of personal circumstances.

caw

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Like Newton or Einstein passing. I saw him at a talk in Seattle and was ecstatic to see people in front of the theater with signs begging for tickets. Made me proud.

This ^^^. One of the great minds in history (In addition to Newton and Einstein, I would add John Forbes Nash to this list.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

I couldn't disagree more. Having grown up with a father whose physical condition debilitated to the point he had to use a wheelchair and communications computer, and one who wanted to be cremated because he had the fear (even though he admitted that it was irrational) that he'd be trapped in his body if it wasn't destroyed, death was absolutely freedom from his condition. Most of those images on Twitter have shown Hawking made of stars, becoming part of the universe. It's not ableist, it's hope, and memorials are about hope.