Pennsylvania Congressional District 18 special election

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The most significant election since the Alabama Senate thing a few months ago, and a nail-biter:

http://www.cnn.com/election/2018/pennsylvania-house-special-election

Regardless of how this special election turns out, the regular election in November has the district map redrawn in a huge way, courtesy of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, which threw out a map blatantly gerrymandered by the GOP majority in the Pennsylvania legislature. This guy Conor Lamb is a pretty interesting new face.

caw

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I worked the polls today. I've worked them here for since the 2016 presidential election. FWIW, my precinct has always voted for the winner of the major elections. Today, Connor Lamb won by a slim margin. We were stunned--he's the first Democrat to win this precinct in ages.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
This guy, Joe Kennedy III, Trudeau, Macon, Obama himself... Has anyone noticed a growing trend of younger, smarter, physically attractive liberal candidates?

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
CNN shows Lamb winning by a margin of only 641 votes: 113,720 total to Saccone's 113,079.

Yet again proof that Every. Vote. Counts.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
It's a pretty amazing thing, all around, to have it this close. I live in the area, but not in PA 18 (I'm in old 12, new 17) but the get out the vote movement for 18 was stunning.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
It's a pretty amazing thing, all around, to have it this close. I live in the area, but not in PA 18 (I'm in old 12, new 17) but the get out the vote movement for 18 was stunning.

Was PA one of the places where the voting machines do not provide a "receipt"? Or was that just particular districts? (I'm having some kind of recollection, but I could be way off.) I ask because this is sure to be a recount situation. Just wondering about the logistics.

Lamb's election sure highlights the folly of the Purity Test. He's certainly a conservative democrat (although not even close to how the GOP are spinning this, that he's basically a Republican in Dem clothing), but a liberal D couldn't win in this district. He has to be IN the house to test how he will vote on any particular issue, and I'd rather take my chances on a conservative D than an uber-conservative R.

I hope the vote count holds up.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Lamb's election sure highlights the folly of the Purity Test.

+1. Though on the one issue I think Dems need to be ride or die on (and I'll let you scan his positions and infer what I'm talking about), he's certainly not afraid to be full-throated in his endorsement. Neither was Jones, and both won in conservative districts. See what I'm sayin'?