Looking for critiques and advice for my cover

NathanCosby

Registered
Reaction score
The first thing that popped into my head was something like a big doghouse in the back yard with the red eyes peering out from inside it. Good luck with the new cover!

zclesa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bethburgess.co.uk
I love your typeface - that's perfect. I like the background, but can't get over the weird poodle photo. I actually think most books with photo covers look really self-pubbed if not done completely perfectly. They look too "busy". I liked TNAlpha's suggestion.

Definitely keep the typeface, but maybe have a shadow of a dog behind the title, looming ominously over the letters.

That said, I've noticed really good book covers have some form of depth. So maybe you could take some elements of the background and include them as well, because the house further back does give you depth. So, another option is to keep the background and just have a dog's shadow lurking somewhere in the picture, perhaps casting a shadow over the side of the house? That would suggest the curse thing, I think.

But the poodle photo staring me straight in the eyes is not doing it for me. It does kinda look like a B-movie poster, and you don't want that if you have an A-class book :)