Seeking a Sense of Community

Remonalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Hello to all current and equally new members.

I have come to join (invade) your forums in hopes of finding a sort of a community feeling I have not felt in years.
Likewise, writing is something I have not done in years either, nor have I read any books.
To sound the part of the tragic heroine, I lost my ability to perform these hobbies, but not my love for them, to depression.

I aim to take it back.

When I was able to write, I focused on dramatic tales that could take place in any era.
My characters are my strong suite, they are able to invoke strong feelings from my readers and turn what might be an ordinary plot into something with meaning.
My plots are... ordinary.
Or so extraordinary than I can not manage them.
There's no real in between.

Reading was focused strongly on fantasy novels and romance novels. Yes, those romance novels.
I formerly loved stories where there is the basic rules set of a story. Bad guy causes trouble, good guy fights all odds to defeat bad guy, good guy marries princess.

As I have gotten older I find myself seeking tales where the 'bad guy' is just as endearing as the good guy. Where it's hard to tell who you should root for. Where friends reading the same book can take two totally different views on who is going to 'win' in the end, and when they find the answer they so desperately sought there is a sense of closure, but also contemplation.

If I can earn my writing wings back, this is what I hope to evoke in my tales.

I sound old and stodgy but I swear I'm just a college student who works night shift for 7 days in a row and would like my 7 off days afterward to be filled with fantasy sword fights and heart breaking scenes.

Hi.
Hi!

Please ignore me I'll find my way around I feel silly waugle.

rusoluchka

Registered
Reaction score
giphy.gif

I read this and did think you were older--Doesn't matter!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome. I hope you find this forum as invaluable as I have, whether you're hunting down those plot bunnies to tame one into a ms for submission or reconnecting to the community, enjoy yourself for you are with like-minded individuals.

Remonalynn

Registered
Reaction score
Darn plot bunnies, always giving me the run around.
Really, only two options here. Either I dive deep and get sucked into the community, or I forget about it the next day and all my grandiose plans of reviving myself fall short once more.
I'm hoping making some friends will perhaps hold me more accountable.

Many thanks!

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Beware the Cantina down in the SF/F forum then. Plot bunnies, plot chickens, plot gators, and apparently plot bunnies carrying tubas and laying chocolate eggs abound down there.

Seriously, welcome aboard and do come down to the Cantina. If you're an SF/F fan, a writer, a reader, or just bored out of your mind, you should find something to keep you entertained.

Trust the Cantina, the Cantina is your friend.*

with apologies to any Paranoia players who might be lurking around here.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations Remonalynn, hope you find the community feeling you're looking for. Best of luck.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Great intro! May I ask what you study in college? How are you with developing the setting, in addition to plot and characters?

You found an awesome environment with a lot of great people to offer guidance when and if needed.

Remonalynn

Registered
Reaction score
@Richard White
I will certainly stop by the Cantina, only because I'm sure they play that one song that I like over and over again.

@Enlightended
Ello!
I'm kind of up in the air. Right now my goal is to become an Ultrasound tech, but I might switch to business school of a sort, or work on a degree in health information technology because that aligns more with what I do now.
But its boring.

Though, I'm about to move in a few months and the area I'm going to does not offer Ultrasound so something with have to change for sure.

Charaters : A++
Plots: Solid C
Settings is more of a mixed bag. I have a whole planet that I've developed with its own native species of 'alien' and things of that nature for a strange, SF/F world I was building. Cultures were developed, economies established, various biomes, a land of don't go there or the band spider witch will eat you, things like that but it always felt so vast and empty, I felt like I could never give enough detail to really get across what it was like. But that's a personal rating of N/A. I guess.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I know some schools have ultrasound programs and the schools are not accredited; i.e. students cannot land jobs. At least, that is the case in America. Maybe healthcare management or healthcare administration. I think some schools call healthcare management, health information management.

Tolkien made limits with his setting. He called the known land "Middle Earth," and the unknown land "the void."

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I’m sure you’ll find community here!

Best of luck, and welcome to AW!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Remonalynn!
I hope you like it here. As others have said, explore around a little.
What job do you do, 7 days on, then 7 days off? (Must be a killer combined with a college schedule).
And where are you planning to move to? And, from?
(I am not a writer, I am an over-ambitious reader. :) Like ultra-sound, I want to see how books work, on the inside.)

Remonalynn

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on moving from southern pain in my neck Georgia to northern gunna freeze to death Illinois. I do work 7 on 7 off, and college is roughish but doable. Who needs sleep bah!

xkara

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, Remonalynn! I am also new here. I also have had a hard time writing for a while, and I also suffer from depression. I think I'm getting a handle on it, though! I'm a college student (studying Computer Science) and I just got hired for a new job, so we'll see how combining those two things works out for me. You're right; it can definitely be roughish! But I think you're probably doing a great job, all things considered. :)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beware the Cantina down in the SF/F forum then. Plot bunnies, plot chickens, plot gators, and apparently plot bunnies carrying tubas and laying chocolate eggs abound down there.

Seriously, welcome aboard and do come down to the Cantina. If you're an SF/F fan, a writer, a reader, or just bored out of your mind, you should find something to keep you entertained.

Trust the Cantina, the Cantina is your friend.*

with apologies to any Paranoia players who might be lurking around here.
Hmmm, you make that Cantina sound so inviting. Think I'll check it out.

Welcome Remonalynn and xkara and Enlightened (even though you have a lot of posts). I find the community here to be the best!