• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The problem of "Was". Was cannot be avoided.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If using Find-and-Replace in Word to check how many 'was's are there, be sure to select Find whole words only in the More - Options section, otherwise any word with 'was' in it will be targeted - - wasn't, wasp, waspish, waste, wasted, washed, unwashed...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
If using Find-and-Replace in Word to check how many 'was's are there, be sure to select Find whole words only in the More - Options section, otherwise any word with 'was' in it will be targeted - - wasn't, wasp, waspish, waste, wasted, washed, unwashed...

I discovered this the first time I did a find and replace word search to change a character's name. I subsequently found words throughout my manuscript that had had the character's new name inserted.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I always type the word I'm going to replace with one space preceding it and one space following it. Then I do another with a period added. When it's a name I want to change I also use two searches, one in the possessive form and then there's the period. Nothing like making it difficult, huh?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always type the word I'm going to replace with one space preceding it and one space following it. Then I do another with a period added. When it's a name I want to change I also use two searches, one in the possessive form and then there's the period. Nothing like making it difficult, huh?

That does sound a little tricky-Dicky sort of procedure. :Hug2: Won't catch the word if it's followed by a punctuation mark other than a period. Still, if it works for you- that's the main thing.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
I discovered this the first time I did a find and replace word search to change a character's name. I subsequently found words throughout my manuscript that had had the character's new name inserted.

Was the original name "Ed?"

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

Using the find "whole word" option eliminates the issue of punctuation marks entirely. If you are changing a name, also choose "Match case."

caw