Interpretating Rejection Letter

writera

Registered
Reaction score
I received this letter from an editor at a major publishing house. While it's clear this is a pass, I'm wondering if there is an element of revise and resubmit to this. What follows is very helpful advice, indicating the editor would prefer one POV, a more conclusive ending to the book, and less repetition. And while it is stated that this is a pass, they wrote "I think you have something here" twice and then said "It's not quite there for me at the moment". Am I clutching at straws here (as we writers tend to do) or do you all think this editor might be open to me resubmitting this book if I rewrote it and made the changes they suggested?

Here's the letter:

Thanks for sending (redacted). I read the whole thing, which isn’t usually the case for most submissions. But I was intrigued. The premise is something the market is drawn to, as is the (redacted) aspect to the story. It's alluring. So there’s definitely something here that compelled me to read more. I will say, one of the things that I didn't like was the title. I think you need something stronger. More than that, though, the repetitive nature of the story did eventually get a bit wearing. I understand it’s a function of the plot, and that each time we’re getting something a bit different, but there’s only so many times a reader can keep getting the same (or similar) information without getting turned off a bit. Especially—and this may be the biggest issue—if we’re not seeing the characters grow. Because (redacted), we are shown them again and again without getting to see much in the way of change. So, by the end, while they do grow, it’s maybe not enough to feel satisfying.

Part of that may be due to too many POVs. I understand wanting to give other characters their due, but at the same time, you have to consider why their stories matter in the end. There’s so little actual confrontation—and so little of what they do affects how (MC) ultimately finishes the story—that it makes for a disjointed tale. Ultimately, I think this needs to be a complete story with clear resolution, and focus as much attention as possible on (MC) and her interactions with the other characters, rather than showing us what the other characters are doing themselves. As such, I’m afraid this isn’t quite there for me at the moment. While I’m always up for a challenge, I think this needs a bit more work than I can take on. But I wanted to be clear: I think there’s definitely something here. I just can’t figure out how to make it fully shine, and therefore I have to pass.

All the best.

Last edited:

CarlHackman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlhackman.com
I think this needs to be a complete story with clear resolution, and focus as much attention as possible on (MC) and her interactions with the other characters, rather than showing us what the other characters are doing themselves.

I think this is very telling. The editor says he/she likes the premise, but needs it to be more. More tension, more confrontation, more from the MC's POV. If you feel strongly about this publisher then I'd take it as positive, and rework the MS. I'd take the time to try and understand exactly what the editor wants, then revise and resubmit directly to that editor explaining that you believe you have addressed the points brought up in the previous email and ask him/her to take another look.

A rejection like that one is usually not an outright rejection, but an opportunity to see if you can meet his/her vision of what the novel should be. As an author it is your decision whether to continue submitting it in its current format or look at it again with the advise given by this editor.

If you decide to revise, don't rush it ;)

Good luck :)

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I received this letter from an editor at a major publishing house. While it's clear this is a pass, I'm wondering if there is an element of revise and resubmit to this. What follows is very helpful advice, indicating the editor would prefer one POV, a more conclusive ending to the book, and less repetition. And while it is stated that this is a pass, they wrote "I think you have something here" twice and then said "It's not quite there for me at the moment". Am I clutching at straws here (as we writers tend to do) or do you all think this editor might be open to me resubmitting this book if I rewrote it and made the changes they suggested?

Here's the letter:

Thanks for sending (redacted). I read the whole thing, which isn’t usually the case for most submissions. But I was intrigued. The premise is something the market is drawn to, as is the (redacted) aspect to the story. It's alluring. So there’s definitely something here that compelled me to read more. I will say, one of the things that I didn't like was the title. I think you need something stronger. More than that, though, the repetitive nature of the story did eventually get a bit wearing. I understand it’s a function of the plot, and that each time we’re getting something a bit different, but there’s only so many times a reader can keep getting the same (or similar) information without getting turned off a bit. Especially—and this may be the biggest issue—if we’re not seeing the characters grow. Because (redacted), we are shown them again and again without getting to see much in the way of change. So, by the end, while they do grow, it’s maybe not enough to feel satisfying.

Part of that may be due to too many POVs. I understand wanting to give other characters their due, but at the same time, you have to consider why their stories matter in the end. There’s so little actual confrontation—and so little of what they do affects how (MC) ultimately finishes the story—that it makes for a disjointed tale. Ultimately, I think this needs to be a complete story with clear resolution, and focus as much attention as possible on (MC) and her interactions with the other characters, rather than showing us what the other characters are doing themselves. As such, I’m afraid this isn’t quite there for me at the moment. While I’m always up for a challenge, I think this needs a bit more work than I can take on. But I wanted to be clear: I think there’s definitely something here. I just can’t figure out how to make it fully shine, and therefore I have to pass.

All the best.

If the editor was open to a revision, the editor would have said that.

Don't send unsolicited material.

Laurasaurus

Registered
Reaction score
I think this needs a bit more work than I can take on. But I wanted to be clear: I think there’s definitely something here. I just can’t figure out how to make it fully shine, and therefore I have to pass.
To me, this line suggests it is not a revise and resubmit. But (if you agree with their points) you've definitely been given some great suggestions on how to improve it for the next round of submissions!
The fact that they read the whole thing is a huge compliment.

Last edited:

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly a pass, however, my advice would be to try this: thank the editor for their advice. Let them know you are doing the revisions, and that you will be taking your time on them and getting beta reads etc, and see if they'd be open to a resubmit. There's no more work for the editor then, except to look it over when you resend it. They'll know pretty soon whether you've nailed it. I think it's worth a try. After some lovely compliments followed by a rejection, my agent did say she'd see if an editor was possibly up for an R&R, once we'd finished this round. So, it's not uncommon for editors to pass with glowing compliments, and agents to request an R&R. You have nothing to lose by thanking and asking - you could get a no, but I suspect you'll get a "maybe".