Printing novel for editing, need advice

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I need some advice on printing my 100+ page novel. I did come across an old post on here about printing but thought I'd make a new thread to get some updated info.

Why? Same advice is still valid.

The problem is that I have this cheap HP deskjet printer and I'm fairly certain it can't handle this print project without eating a ton of ink cartridges...and a lot of my money. So I'm looking for advice on either laserjet printers or document printing through some place like Staples.

Look at the cost of a laser printer and the cost of printing at a print shop. Decide. It really is that easy. HP Laserjet off Amazon and call your local copy shops and ask their fees.

FWIW, if you're printing and have an inkjet, toss it and get a laser. Look at per page costs and printing speed. Buy a second toner cartridge.

As for me, I edited on paper for more than a decade because nobody had computers or word processors. Went to a computer and haven't edited on paper except for galley proofs since.

Jeff

Last edited:

Quiet Melody

Registered
Reaction score
Why? Same advice is still valid.

Look at the cost of a laser printer and the cost of printing at a print shop. Decide. It really is that easy. HP Laserjet off Amazon and call your local copy shops and ask their fees.

Yes, I have decided already. I just posted that. But I do like to get feedback and read reviews when I’m spending over $100 dollars.

And no, the old post wasn’t helpful because it was from several years ago. I needed updated info on prices and printers. Things change. And I wanted to know what others experience with them was. I don’t post that often and try not to start duplicate posts if I can help it.

But it doesn’t matter now. My new printer was delivered yesterday. I’m going to go print my novel now...

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

maggiee19

Registered
Reaction score
We have a Brother laser printer and I love it.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
IMO the determination should be made based on how many times you’ll print your manuscript. How many printings will it take before purchasing the printer makes financial sense?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Welcome, Esteel, :welcome:

I know you mean to be helpful, but the thread is eight months old and if you check only two posts up -post#27 - you will see Quiet Melody also bought her new machine eight months ago.:Hug2:

Oh! I didn’t notice that!

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Hope this is posted in the correct forum. If not, moderators, feel free to move it to the appropriate place.

I need some advice on printing my 100+ page novel. I did come across an old post on here about printing but thought I'd make a new thread to get some updated info.

I am currently in the editing phase of my novel, and while I can certainly edit it on screen, I feel like printing the whole thing so I can read it from a new perspective will help me out a lot. And also, I don't want to stare at a computer screen for hours at a time. (My eyes get too tired after a while)

The problem is that I have this cheap HP deskjet printer and I'm fairly certain it can't handle this print project without eating a ton of ink cartridges...and a lot of my money. So I'm looking for advice on either laserjet printers or document printing through some place like Staples.

Has anyone tried Staples document printing? And about how much would this service cost? Or would it be better off to just get myself a good printer since I'll be using it a lot more from now on? And can anyone recommend a good, but not too expensive model?

Melody :)

Yes. Actually kinkos not staples. I format it to look like a standard paperback book which ends up being two pages per sheet--and have them slice the entire thing down the middle so my sheets are 5.5 x 8.5. I make the headers and footers look like a paperback too.

You can't do double sided because the collation will be wrong, but after putting it all together (which I do at home with a three hole punch and then assemble in a binder) it does come out looking like a regular paperback (albeit one-sided, which leaves the blank side for edit notes) and I edit that.

About 30 dollars for the whole 97000 word book. 1.15 spaced, 12 point I think, etc etc.

Last edited: