Response....

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
I got the following response from an agent. I'm slightly worried about what she said about the tone. I'm very direct, bold and don't mince words. I write in short, punchy sentences. But this is my STYLE. What do you make of this response?

Many thanks for sending this over to me.

You have poured so much into this and it shows – it’s laced with passion and deep emotion and is an impressive achievement. I’m sorry, then, that I just don’t think the approach or the tone resonates for me and without my own vision for and confidence in the book, I wouldn’t be your best agent or advocate.

Thank you again for thinking of me and I wish you the very best in finding a good home for your work.

Best wishes,

Sophie

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Yes, this may be a form R. But even if it's not, all it's saying is this isn't the agent for your book, not that your book should be changed. Agents have personal preferences just like all readers.

(And I'm sorry. I know Rs sting.)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, definitely sounds like a form. It's vague and you can say that about any book.

CarlHackman

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlhackman.com
She has read it and gets your style, but doesn't think it would fit for her. I'd take it for what it is and just keep querying. Don't change anything yet as you want an agent that loves your writing. Good luck, I know each one is a kick in the teeth and I'm in the query trenches with you, so can relate to the feeling. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection from one agent complaining my MC was too belligerent, and one from a different agent saying she loved the fact my MC didn't back down from a fight. Agents are people, their opinions will vary.

If every agent is telling you "I don't think I can sell something in this style," then you may have a problem, but one agent is just one agent.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Think of all the books in a bookstore. These are all published books. Many of the authors have agents. Do you like the tone of every book in a bookstore? Do you read them all? Love them all? Of course not! Agents are no different. And yet most of these authors found agents, agents who, like you, likely wouldn't have loved the tone of the other books with agents.

I disagree that this is a form rejection, I think this is a really good sign, an agent saw enough in your writing to write you something personal and complimented a great deal about it. But ultimately the tone just wasn't what she was into. Just like the tone in many many of the books in a bookstore aren't what you are into. There is nothing about this rejection suggesting you change your tone. It is simple a matter of tastes not matching. And believe you me, I have known authors who had agents where their tastes did not match, it was extremely hard on the author constantly having to fight for their stories to be told a certain way, and ultimately those relationships didn't last long.

You want an agent that gets you. That gets what you are trying to do. More than that, who loves what you are trying to do. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for all responses!!! Much appreciated :heart::heart:

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
Think of all the books in a bookstore. These are all published books. Many of the authors have agents. Do you like the tone of every book in a bookstore? Do you read them all? Love them all? Of course not! Agents are no different. And yet most of these authors found agents, agents who, like you, likely wouldn't have loved the tone of the other books with agents.

I disagree that this is a form rejection, I think this is a really good sign, an agent saw enough in your writing to write you something personal and complimented a great deal about it. But ultimately the tone just wasn't what she was into. Just like the tone in many many of the books in a bookstore aren't what you are into. There is nothing about this rejection suggesting you change your tone. It is simple a matter of tastes not matching. And believe you me, I have known authors who had agents where their tastes did not match, it was extremely hard on the author constantly having to fight for their stories to be told a certain way, and ultimately those relationships didn't last long.

You want an agent that gets you. That gets what you are trying to do. More than that, who loves what you are trying to do. Onwards and upwards!

Thanks so much. I found it very useful! I have to stick to my guns. And like you said take a compliment that was included in this. I think the agent was just very honest about it and I appreciate it. This is feedback. I hope that I'll find someone who will GET my voice and vision. This is subjective business. I have to keep knocking at those doors.....

jsb235

Registered
Reaction score
I got the following response from an agent. I'm slightly worried about what she said about the tone. I'm very direct, bold and don't mince words. I write in short, punchy sentences. But this is my STYLE. What do you make of this response?

Many thanks for sending this over to me.

You have poured so much into this and it shows – it’s laced with passion and deep emotion and is an impressive achievement. I’m sorry, then, that I just don’t think the approach or the tone resonates for me and without my own vision for and confidence in the book, I wouldn’t be your best agent or advocate.

Thank you again for thinking of me and I wish you the very best in finding a good home for your work.

Best wishes,

Sophie

If you are worried about this rejection letter, some of the ones I have received would probably leave you shellshocked, crying yourself to sleep in a corner.

I wouldn't change anything about my writing style based on what one particular person thinks, whether it is an agent or anyone else. If you write compelling stories that pull people in, you will find your audience even if it takes a while.

CJMatthewson

Registered
Reaction score

Better not to have an agent that's honest about not wanting your book than having one who's not passionate about your work. It may well be a form rejection, but it's another step in the road toward success - your work might not be for everyone but it's most definitely for someone.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
This is definitely not a form rejection. Form rejections don't say things like, "it’s laced with passion and deep emotion." But in the end, it wasn't the right book for her.

Isa_Halley

Registered
Reaction score
So TRUE. That would be misery.

THANKS SO MUCH. It really means a lot now.... I'm doing my best to keep going in spite of all the rejection I'm facing! But we know that this is part of the deal.