• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta reading etiquette question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I've done reads in a weekend. Usually if polished. Increasingly, I only read polished, or try to. Lazy I guess.

A week is my average for finishing a book. That's generally fast. ATM, I'm taking a week to do a chapter because I'm mostly writing myself.

There was some one in groups awhile back who claimed their betas kept finishing their 250k book in the span of a couple days and leaving loads of comments. I was dubious.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I've found most people get back to me within three weeks or so when they beta my novels (80k-ish words). As for me, I discovered Word has a feature that tells you how long you've worked in a document on your computer, so I know I spend around 12 hours on most beta reads.

Most people reply to me, and when they don't I assume they weren't ready for feedback. I've only commented to them once, when I saw someone I had beta'd for asking for betas for another project. I commented that he had never got back to me, and he apologised and said he'd forgotten.

Murffy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very new to this game but I can't imagine not responding at least with a quick thank you after receiving a crit and probably much more. I'm amazed that there as many Beta readers as there are willing to do this work. And it is work. Not acknowledging it seems very inconsiderate and disrespectful of other people's time.

Sarian

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's very important to give some acknowledgement to a beta reader. Sometimes it's really hard when the beta reader is particularly vicious and malicious. As hurtful as that can be, I still try to swallow my emotions and say thank you, because that's a lot better than responding to them in kind. Still, when someone takes the time to critique your work honestly and with a genuine desire to help, saying 'thank you' or just 'I received your feedback and will be reviewing it soon...' is simple good manners.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's very important to give some acknowledgement to a beta reader. Sometimes it's really hard when the beta reader is particularly vicious and malicious. As hurtful as that can be, I still try to swallow my emotions and say thank you,.
I see you're new, so I just wanted to mention that if a beta from AW was vicious or malicious, you should report it to a moderator. That sort of thing doesn't fly here: beta-reads are about helping, not hurting.

ETA: Oh - and welcome to AW :Sun:

Last edited:

BonafideDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! She replied a couple of days ago and her critique was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.