The "How Well do YOU Know Your World?" game!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
My myth is about a star. The Green Star to be exact. (hope this still answers your question, because it is sorta like the sun) My world is a computer programmed world that people many centuries ago, were purposely sucked into because the world because Earth was becoming over-crowed.

Anyways, the story revolving the Green Star is that Vera Luna, a scientist who mainly created the programmed world, was programmed into the Green Star along with the other scientists who helped her build the world.

How are humanoid creatures or robots treated in your world?

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
In this particular world, they are prey -- in all senses of the word.

How are disabilities (mental and physical) handled in your world by the ruling classes (or equivalent)?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Helk is still relatively poor. Most of the stories take place well before industrialization, and the ones that take place after the start of it's industrial revolution aren't terribly far in. Resources are tight and medicine expensive. For the most part, people with disabilities are ignored by the various ruling classes; They have more important things to deal with, like keeping all the 'normal' people fed and healthy and not rebelling.

What is the most valued medicinal herb on your planet, what does it fetch on the market?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What is the most valued medicinal herb on your planet, what does it fetch on the market?

Heh, I don't have a name for it, but the steppe people are well-known for their access to a silphium-like herb that grows in the wild and is collected by shamanesses. Any tribal person can get access to if they want, though it is sometimes embarrassing to ask. Despite being common among the Three Tribes, it is highly valued on both sides of the Salt Road, and traders are always trying to get access to the stuff. Cultural taboos forbid the selling of it, though this does not stop some tribes.

Tell me about a throne or fancy chair.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
The Empty Throne of King Nividion.

The Aram (meaning death) valley is the only easily traversed north south passage in the Belt. As all land based trade those directions eventually moves through there it was long desired by the different factions of the area, causing endless wars between the beginning of written trade and The Year of Darkness. The Year of Darkness was a calamity of apocalyptic proportions, the Sorceress Solvekia of Kath went mad, twisting the populations of entire cities into an obedient army of monsters. Her winding rampage drove nearly the entire populations south of the Belt north towards Aram.

Nividion was there, naked as the day he was born. Somehow, he convinced the peoples of Nel, Kath, Vorad, Seleth and Teliav to rally behind him in the valley. He summoned seven great swords to aid in the battle which was epic, and defeated the sorceress himself.

After the battle many of the people who had lost their homes settled in the Aram valley and made Nividion their king. His throne was made of the local black granite and contained an enchanted chest only he could open. He established the country of Ariam, the first with a constitution. Oddly, the constitution was written such that Nividion was king forever with no means to name heirs or successors.

In the fifteenth year of his reign, Nividion stood up in court and left the city with instructions that he would return and nobody was to take his seat. He returned in the middle Ariam civil war to put down the monarchist movement which wanted to crown it's leader as the new king. Everyone was surprised as this was almost three generations since his departure. He ruled for another five years and left the exact same way as before, and nobody has sat there since.

What story or legend does 'everybody' know?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Everyone knows the (true) story of Vera Luna (means Green Star) and how she built the computer world some humans, many, many years ago, agreed to be sucked into, because of the Earth's overpopulation. But the story people argue about is the story about how Vera Luna programmed her soul into The Green Star, a star that remains in the night sky no matter which area in the computer programmed world you go to.

What is considered a lucky charm (wearing a certain color, a rabbit's foot, etc.)

Cairo Amani

Cairo
Registered
Reaction score
All the citizens in Isisi wear charmed silver jewelry on their bodies, blessed by the witches who govern their country. It wards off most minor curses, meant especially to protect them from their enemies in the neighboring country of Dadongo.

Where do people in your world think they originated from?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They know they evolved, like any other species on the planet. However, when and what magics were used to create the meta races of humankind is still a matter of debate and argument. After all the millennia since those magical wars happened, scientists can't figure out just what spells were thrown, how they combined to create the weres, trolls and other species. There's even some argument whether or not such spells weren't self-inflicted and there were no great magic wars in pre-history.

What are the favorite house pets in your world?

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
What are the favorite house pets in your world?
Dogs. The griffin's miniature cousin and domestic sharks share a close second.

Who is the most famous artist (of any bend) of your world, and what are they most famous for? They don't have to be contemporary to your story.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Who is the most famous artist (of any bend) of your world, and what are they most famous for? They don't have to be contemporary to your story.
That'd be Cloud Carnivore Collective, a band known for their slightly over the top live shows, involving X-ray lasers, antimatter pyrotechnics, and asteroid smashing. They've been banned from several star systems. Besides the light shows, they're famous for the conspiracy theory: that they're actually a psy-ops shock-and-awe operation, aimed at pacifying newly contacted civilisations.

How are convicted criminals treated in your world?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
The worst criminals are sent to another dying dimension (world): Earth. On Earth, the water is polluted, there is no grass, and smog makes up most of the sky. Bottom line: not a good place to be sent to.

What is the worst crime someone can commit?

Vida Paradox

Code Surfer
Registered
Reaction score
The Worst Crime someone can commit is the classic 'ruining the day and destroying lives' kind of thing. But that's just "Crime".

The actual worst thing someone could do is successfully attacking one of the Three Primordial Organization: Artificial Magic Facility, Universal Peace Foundation, and the Astral Fortress. If anyone successfully does that, they will be categorized as a 'threat' and must be dispatched like a natural disaster (yes they dispatch natural disaster) or rampaging beast.

Here on earth we have 118 elements. So, any other new element in your world?

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(LOVE this question. It's made me think about my world in a different way. Thank you!)

My world is this world with magic, circa 2000 CE, so they have the exact same amount of elements in their table, though the table does register what elements can be magic-influenced and which cannot. Where they differ than our world at that time is in the number of known bosons/forces because that's how magic scientifically works in the world.

​What science is the most popular in your world?

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
(LOVE this question. It's made me think about my world in a different way. Thank you!)

My world is this world with magic, circa 2000 CE, so they have the exact same amount of elements in their table, though the table does register what elements can be magic-influenced and which cannot. Where they differ than our world at that time is in the number of known bosons/forces because that's how magic scientifically works in the world.

​What science is the most popular in your world?

An intriguing question!

My society is pre-industrial, sort of Dark Age. So, the most important science is Food Science. How do you ensure a good harvest? How do you preserve food over the winter so that people don't starve before next summer?

This brings a lot of other sciences and technologies into play. Economics - how do you distribute food and ensure a supply? What can you trade for what you can't grow yourself? Transportation - how do you get it from farms to cities or trading partners? Materials science - how do you make the best harvesting tools and storage containers?

Now, for the most "prestigious" science in my society, it's astronomy. It has an air of being "pure" science, unconcerned with mundane matters, yet grew out of the need for farmers to know when to plant and harvest. The biggest religious shrine in the country is the Sky Temple, where the astronomers plot the movements of the stars, while in the town below traders get their hands dirty with buying and selling.

Question (I almost forgot): What is a typical meal like for your people?

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
It really depends where you are from! The mountain towns have their own version of oatmeal that isn't found anywhere else. Grapes and almonds grow very well in the mountains, so their version of oatmeal is pretty decorated with fruit, nuts, wild berries, etc.

The city people are closer to the coast, so they love their seafood delicacies. They also don't have huge amounts of land to manage, so there is more free time to enjoy fine dining. The soups in Barburna are to die for. Chefs and fishermen come from all over to cook in Barburna.

Location matters a lot when it comes to food.

Tell us about your award winning sweets. What's a treat a mother might give her children for being extra good?

BT Lamprey

Registered
Reaction score
A cookie in the shape of our indomitable leader's brave visage. Something handmade, undefiled by the metallic stench of the automatons.

What or who makes innocent children lay awake at night with fear?

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
What or who makes innocent children lay awake at night with fear?

Among the Khardun clans, it would be The Ferryman. Even adults fear him. Nowadays, when one dies, if their body is not disposed of in a river, they will be lost and walk the lands as basically a ghost, unable to find the afterlife. If they are disposed of in the river with proper rituals and sacrifices, then The Ferryman will take your soul to the afterlife. However, if you are put into the river without the sacrifices and rituals, or if you drown, you will be rowing the Ferryman's boat for all of eternity. These are the current beliefs, but they come from ancient times when there was a real person, a sorcerer king of a neighboring people, who would come through and instill terror and demand sacrifices to fuel his magic, and he was so traumatizing to the entire culture that he's basically been put into their religion as a boogeyman or almost like the devil in their beliefs. Drowning is the biggest fear of most Khardun, and few are willing to swim or even ford a river.

What are gift giving occasions, and what sort of gifts do they tend to entail?

Will Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
It depends where in the world you're from. If you're from the Upper, the biggest gift giving occasion is the anniversary of Amerith Ruth's death, celebrated with good food and drink, and usually with families and friends crowding around the holoscreen to watch the anniversary broadcast. On top of that are the usual occasions, birthdays and the like. There are a few religious holidays too, though they're not widely practiced - several thousand people living for thousands of years on a space craft had something of a homogenising effect on religion, so many of the holidays remaining are odd mish-mashes of different Earth religions. Gifts in the Upper range from the latest bits of tech to designer pets; almost anything you can think of.

If you're from the Sub, it's pretty much just birthdays. They don't have much to spare, but they're good at sharing. You don't live long in the Sub without help, and people won't help if you don't share. Despite this, they do give gifts on birthdays when possible. It might just be a scrap of food that isn't rat for a change though.

Where to people purchase or obtain their food? If it's from shops, is there a leading shop brand?

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
Where to people purchase or obtain their food? If it's from shops, is there a leading shop brand?

For Reflection: Most places grow or harvest food in their area, and purchase food from traders. Since different towns and villages have different types of food, those who travel to the major cities to sell foodstuffs will often trade with the inhabitants of the places they stop in along the way. More remote/isolated settlements that don't get visited regularly by traders will grow most of their own food, but do send people to other towns/cities to trade for products they cannot grow/obtain themselves.

How does the technology/supernatural aspects of your setting play into farming? How does science/magic aid in growing and/or harvesting crops?

AwP_writer

Registered
Reaction score
How does the technology/supernatural aspects of your setting play into farming? How does science/magic aid in growing and/or harvesting crops?

The ruler of the Halanni empire is the most powerful mage of the age. A large part of what he uses his magic for is to increase the fertility of an already very fertile land. This makes them the largest exporters of food in the world. This has a few unfortunate side effects though. Animal life is a bit out of control, reptiles grow to enormous sizes (think bus sized crocodiles), while mammals which have innate limits to size aren't huge, but are extremely healthy and strong. The main job of the "army" isn't fighting wars, it's hunting animals that intrude on settled areas. Disease can also be a problem, but the priesthood is specialized in healing magic to cure them.

Any unusual weapons unique to your world?

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Any unusual weapons unique to your world?

Yeppers. The king believes in ghosts. In this fantasy world the reader is unsure if ghosts actually exist or if they're an oral legend of convenient coincidences. The way people interact with ghosts it really could go either way.

But the king believes. So the king finds a woman who has the ability to see and interact with ghosts. He recruits her and forces her to recruit ghosts to his own army. If successful, he'll be the only king with soldiers you can't kill. But naturally, along the journey the MC discovers other horrible truths about the crown.

Who won the last war?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Who won the last war?

Away from my City of the Dead setting atm, but felt the need to do an in-character response as the setting's (self-proclaimed) most respected historian, the Lady Silver Door.

Pffft, depends on who you ask. Of course, considering the asymmetrical distribution of power between the Dead and the living, there are few conflicts worth mentioning in recent history. As diplomacy is war by other means, the Dead resolve their conflicts gently, and avoid getting into battles neither they nor the living can win. I would suggest the semi-readable Riverine Conflict Patterns in the Age of Urban Hegemony by Disciplined Lintel, if you're looking for a boring read by someone who at least takes their work seriously.There's the fun-but-shallow Top Ten Trades Disputes of the Modern Era by Spiral, but I can't genuinely reccommend that in good faith. And, naturally, the best look at the topic is Diplomacy is War by Other Means by the Lady Silver Door.

To get to the last real war, as in war war, the kind where sharp ends and hurling projectiles are utilized, you need to go back a thousand years or so to the overthrow of the Exalted Masters by the bilious witches who call themselves the Trivium. I'm a co-founder, I can say that about them. The Overthrow was a wretched piece of business, when Dead fight Dead there's really no way to end it, just chopping and incinerating each other into tiny, still-functioning pieces. It's a logistical nightmare, not to mention, well, quite horrifying. There were a lot of surprises during the Overthrow, and the Trivium did not win so much as gain the peace through treachery, with the Exalted Masters fallen and either sealed, obliterated, or forced into exile. It was a sorry, unhappy victory, with the inept Trivium priestesses forced to appease both the unruly Dead and the living slaves then habitating the city. Not to mention the Wild Hunt, which...but what an exciting time that was! And so long ago now! I can look back in anger at how badly I was betrayed and insulted, but to remember it is almost bittersweet. And I know my time of triumph is soon, where I will return to the City and unfurl my glory...

In case of reading material, DO NOT trust any sources beyond the ones I give you, they are biased garbage and bad scholarship besides. For starters, I might suggest Do Not Believe the Lies by the Lady Silver Door, a concise overview focused on certain key characters. For a fictionalized account, the Opera of the Queen's Revenge offers a delightful recollection with many true events interspersed with fabulation and whimsy. Authored by the Silver Door, it show's the Lady's talent extends far beyond scholarship. Finally, for the best and most complete account, the Lady Silver Door had just penned the 111th volume of her opus, The Lady Silver Door, Beloved of the Mercies and High Ritual Priestess of Their Mysteries, Who Has Sat Upon the Apex of the Moon Pyramid, and Will Do So Again, Who Has Passed Judgement, and Who Has Been a Guide to the Lost, Doth Set Down Her Account of The War That Led to Her Overthrow, the Secret History Behind It, and the Means by Which She Will Eventually Conquer. Still a work in progress, though the author hopes to finish the series beyond the next phase in her exaltation.

Tell me about your setting's most memorable narcissist.

Last edited:

Northborn Swordsman

Somehow still standing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
northbornsword.blog
Tell me about your setting's most memorable narcissist.

Damned if I didn't choose the right time to return from my self-imposed exile into final drafting and Query Hell...

Let's talk about Ensyl the Archlich. In fairness to him, he has plenty of positive traits. He's highly intelligent, rigorously competent, and versed in thousands of years of lost lore. As a one-time hero, you can accurately call him a lot of things but you can't call him a coward. He is at least two-thirds fabulous at all times, and may in fact be physically incapable of appearing in outfits which aren't painstakingly coordinated in terms of colors, overall shapes, and aesthetic theming. Ensyl is the de-facto leader of the Five, a name which infuriates him to no end for its blandness but has become so inextricably associated with his cabal that he can't bring himself to discard it.

You see, Ensyl is eight thousand years old. He's seen the world change, adapt and regress through three major cataclysms. He knows the full scope of events which are no more than footnotes upon rock-slabs in dusty catacombs at the far corners of the world. And the idea that he might ever become such a footnote has become Ensyl's chief terror. As ironic as it may be for a Lich, it was never mortality that frightened Ensyl: it was total irrelevance. The idea that he might be forgotten when he's ultimately destroyed or just gets tired of existence and destroys himself is the single most horrifying idea he can conceive of.

So Ensyl strives constantly to speak vibrantly, act extremely, and otherwise impress upon everyone what a big deal he is without openly saying as much. Sometimes this works in his favor--he's gotten rather good at it over the millennia--and sometimes it makes him seem pompous, laughable, or just vaguely sad. Among some of the odder things he's done:
-Invest a huge amount of power appropriated from other sources into a black bird of moving cloth on one of his robes. This thread-gestalt kills every cell of a sapient being who looks directly at it--without actually stripping the soul from the body. The result: an instant sapient corpse. If he's in a good mood, Ensyl will usually preserve the new undead against decay. He wears this robe less frequently after discovering it has the potential to create other Liches when targeting those with mage-talent, who then inevitably expect some form of mentorship or else muck up Ensyl's plans.
-Accrue a menagerie of heavily-modified undead wildlife which he works into magnificently bleak and unearthly shapes.
-Open a portal to a plane of existence which is nothing but the same ballad played for eternity while three planetoids collide upon the horizon without ever fully destroying each other. This portal remains open atop a mountain peak in the depths of the White Nothing.
-Attempt to destroy the concept of the color pink not because he dislikes the color in its own right, but because he hates the kind of people who conventionally enjoy pink.

Ensyl has slowly developed a feel for which of these gestures are most effective, and has a reputation as of 1297 V.R. for being inscrutable, nebulous, and impossible to outwit. This reputation has absolutely gone to his head.

Tell me about someone's fall from grace. A hapless every-man or a once-great ruler, it doesn't matter which so long as you explain how it all went wrong in the end.

Last edited:

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
Tell me about someone's fall from grace. A hapless every-man or a once-great ruler, it doesn't matter which so long as you explain how it all went wrong in the end.

This one is a main character, but it goes pretty poorly for her.

Solvekia of Kath was always a feared name. She was a sorceress of unusual strength possibly the strongest to ever live. She was a skilled spell wright, though a sloppy caster. At one point, even the rumors that she had entered a city could cause slaver traders to throw the keys to their slaves and flee. She deposed numerous corrupt leaders and judges, brought justice to many awful situations and was a hero to the common folks and ended the southern slave trade permanently.

Less known was her conflict with Kalithor the Immortal, a power hungry sorcerer who's ultimate goal was to bring the world into an empire under his leadership. He was a cruel and inept leader, who only survived his many failed attempts due to being quite powerful himself, and being immortal. Solvekia began to dive into necromancy and other exotic magics to find a way to kill him permanently. She also began to become rather extreme in putting down his attempts, normally killing his co-conspirators. This heavy handed approach and her ever growing knowledge of evil magics began to worry her friends.

Eventually, Solvekia fell into one of Kalithor's traps that took control of her body and magic from her, an exploit of her sloppy casting that fed on her deep magic reserves. She was used as a weapon to kill his enemies and transform common people into the Darkness, a horde of obedient monsters that Kalithor could transform back into obedient brainwashed citizens. Unfortunately for Solvekia, her darkening reputation and Kalithor's performance as her puppet master caused her friends to abandon her, and help Nividion kill her at the Final Battle of Aram.

Unfortunately for Kalithor, this alliance figured out what happened to their friend and went out for revenge. Kalithor was bound in anti-magic chains and buried in the bottom of a coal mine, that was lit on fire and collapsed for good measure.

Who is credited as having started the anti-slavery movement of your world? If your world never had slavery, how'd they avoid it? If it's still acceptable, why hasn't it been challenged?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In my world slavery doesn't exist. But something like personal servants (kind of like slaves) almost became a thing when robots became common. There was a war on a moon made of space junk called Jamoona between the robot-lovers and the anti-robots. But then the love chip was developed allowing robots to love and feel like humans. The anti-robots lost and went to the dark side of the space junk moon.

Are there any special courses in your schools that students can take? (like magic class or a class just for kids of rulers?)