The "How Well do YOU Know Your World?" game!

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Mindy's: That aliens aged like humans. (aliens age once every ten years) That way she wouldn't age faster than her best friend.
Otis': That it wasn't possible to take babies out of DNA machines (DNA machines can create babies out of a single person's DNA) He would want that so his son would have never been kidnapped as a baby.
Ricby's: That people would realize that clones have different personalities than their original. (He's a clone)
Vanessa's: That Protectors didn't have to get a mental visual every time their Ward got hurt. ( She doesn't think it's necessary to see every time her Ward trips over garbage can or falls down the steps).

What piece of technology would your world be lost without?

Last edited:

Jarypo

Registered
Reaction score
Boats and super-light architecture. A world ending flood forced the human population into a downworld spiral. People constantly had to move upwards, eventually into colder and near-unihabital mountain tops. As resources dwindled, sailing and salvaging things from the old world became the means of survival. The sheer amount of junk floating in the ocean created "naturally" formed garbage islands. This sparks the begining of "floating cities." Super light mega structures that float about the ocean, gradually drifting across the natural currents of the world. Hundreds of years later, they house most of the population, especially those that could not adapt to the harsh coldness of the only remaining land.

What's the main form of transportation in your world?

recoveringandroid

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the region of the world! The first book is set in a rather isolated small continent that, until recently, had a form of magic that was integral to their lives. It allowed for things like self-moving vehicles that were very comfy and convenient. 10 years after magic has fallen, the people of the region have to make do with horses, horse-drawn vehicles, and bicycles, all of which they've imported from other non-magical regions of the world and are still very much getting the hang of. The nations on the once-magic filled continent do have paved roadways, but those were also laid out and created with the assistance of magic. Now they're beginning to show wear and tear over the course of time and they haven't figured out a widescale way to maintain them yet.

What is a public social service that everyone takes for granted in your world?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score

Professional mental health care provided by Trivium priestesses to anyone who wants it. On one hand, the Trivium is comprised of devious, ageless priestesses who play mind-games that put the Bene Gesserit to shame, OTOH, most are primarily concerned with keeping the City of the Dead as healthy, happy, and sane as a society of thinking zombies could be.

Also, nice public baths and free housing.

(I've been slackin' here these days. Thanks for keeping the thread alive, folks!)

Describe a day in the life of an ordinary, working-class person in your setting. No one heroic or interesting. :p

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
It depends on which side of Jamoona you live on. The robot-loving side or the anti-robot side. If you live on the robot-loving side then you are assisted by robots and your co-workers are even robots. They are treated just like humans. If you live on the anti-robot side then you are not assisted by robots and all you're co-workers are human.

What is a unique job or jobs in your world?

Masel

Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful thread! For my own use I copied down all the questions to contemplate for my story. I thought others might like it too.

What is the most valuable substance in your world?

Who is the most dangerous person on your world?

In your world, what do people eat while on the road?

How common is sericulture (silk-making) in your world, and what is it used for?

How well-understood or well-researched is the most unusual phenomenon in your world (compared to real life)?

What place is there for an atheist in your world? How do other people react to them?

What's the strangest (and most incorrect) thing that people in your world believe in? Or vice-versa? What's something that's completely true, that people think is made up?

What do teens do for fun that adults don't approve of?

What is the primary mode of transportation in your world, and how do people "pimp their rides"?

How much has changed in your main culture between your protagonist's generation and their grandparents'?

What year is it?

Name me a popular in-universe piece of literature.

For your longest-running civilization... what is the secret to their success?

What is the absolute worst, most embarrassing faux pas an upstanding citizen could possibly commit? What social sin do people of good taste have nightmares about in your world?

If a character is frustrated, what's an exclamation they might shout? Are there are words/phrases that are socially uncomfortable, but people use anyway?

Question: are characters in your world able to hold a place of importance even if they are physically disabled?

How does an interesting culture in your world finance itself?

How is information and knowledge in your world spread and acquired?

Does your world have illegal drugs, or consumables which are taboo?

tell me an in-universe joke.

Does your setting have Wonders of the World? Taj Mahal, Angkor Wat, that sort of thing. What are they?

​What's the war that people still talk about?

What sort of technology/advancements have your societies invented to protect themselves against an (by real-world standards) unnatural threat to their safety—either some kind of dangerous phenomenon or a monstrous and/or magical enemy?

Does your world have an afterlife (either believed in or real), and if so, what does it look like?

What major festivals do your characters look forward to?

Tell me about a group or clique in your world who is considered 'cool'.

What is the most important virtue for your MC's people? Strength? Loyalty? Cleverness? Or something else?

How does sanitation work in your world?

What does popular music sound like?

Are there slaves in your world, and how are they kept in line?

Back to the information, is there any fake news or other false information spreading through your world?

My question, what sexual kink is unique to your universe and why?
Tell me about the moon is your setting? Is is just like ours? Are there any interesting myths or bits of folklore surrounding it?

What plants are unique to your world/culture/kingdom? Do they have particular properties, magical or medicinal or cuisine? How have they shaped the cultures of your world?

What is the most horrible injustice or tragedy that is ongoing or has recently happened in your world?

What kind of art is prevalent in your world? Does it have famous artists? Is any of it banned or taboo?

Is tourism a thing? Is it developed? Is it dangerous? What are the things or places you must absolutely see before you die?

What is the technological level of your world? What is the closest comparison you can give?

What is universally regarded as the best wine & cheese combo in your setting?

Tell me about animals. Any earthlike species? Anything truly bizarre?

There was a question about music styles, but what's that one song in your world guaranteed to give its listener earworm, whether they want it or not? Is it culturally beloved or hated or both? Where did it come from?

What is a way (unique to your world) to win the Darwin Awards?

What are the naming conventions in your world? Tell me some of the popular ones.

How many different forms of government do you have in your world? Are they all hereditary monarchies? Elective monarchies? Is there a democracy, an oligarchy, a constitutional monarchy, and an autocratic Empire? Is anyone form considered to be better in-universe, or do they all have flaws?

What traditions among the people of your world have been abandoned, either largely or completely?

I wanna live on a mountain! Tell me about a cool one (and asteroids count as mountains, btw).

In your world, what is/are the most valuable thing(s) to trade in?

If I were to look up at the stars, would someone/thing be looking down on me? Spiritual, celestial, extraterrestrial or otherwise?

Are there utilities like electricity, heat, running water in your world, and if so - who or what produces them?

Tell me a famous urban legend. Not a grand myth, but more like a spooky story teens tell.

What’s the life expectancy?

What does poverty and wealth look like in your society, respectively?

Who's considered the greatest historical leader in your setting? Who's considered the worst?

What new advancement in technology has been introduced to your setting, and how is it changing the way people live?

What sorts of clothes do people wear?

What is the strongest and most notable feature of your world's environment that would interest the reader?

In what ways are social castes divided in your cities, aside from wealth?

What "truth" does everyone in your world know to absolutely be true, but isn't?

What are some deadly monsters/animals in yoru world? Or simply the deadliest, if you prefer.

What is the state of medicine in your world? If magic is involved, I'd love to know how that affects it, but would also be interested in more mundane techniques.

You open up a bestiary of your world to a random page, what is contained in the entry you've opened up?

Question: Do youths in your world have to achieve adulthood through a specific ritual or ordeal? If so, what? Or is it just "You're now 18. Go and have fun adulting!"
How does one become or know they are an adult? Are there any coming-of-age rituals?

What religions (if any) are prevalent in your culture, and if there is more than one, do they get along?

What kinds of animals does your society use both for work, and companionship? Any interesting livestock for food? Is there anything interesting about the way your society uses or relates to animals?

What lives beyond the edges of your map?

Are there sorcerers in your world? If there are, do they get paid for using their magical skills, and finally, if they are paid, how are they compensated?

What is the deity of your world, and what makes it unique from the modern religions of the real world?

Who is ruling your city/country/kingdom right now? Are they considered a good ruler? Tell us why the commonwealth likes/dislikes their leader.

Does your world have sports? Are they the same as ours or different? Is there a world championship?

Do people in your world believe in paranormal things (outside of religion)? Do some people believe their legends or tall-tales are true? (ghosts, bigfoot, etc.)

If your story centers on one country/city/settlement, who is their greatest ally? Who is their enemy?

Do people in your world use any weapons or transport different to that of Earth?

What’s the most common name? Boys’, girls’, gender neutral?

What is a period in your setting's history people look back on in shame? Were there any saving graces?

What are the various types of legal punishments for different crimes?

How do those in traveling professions—bards, traders, diplomats, etc.—serve as conveyers of ideas across different cultures in your world?

What are the standards of beauty that dominate the cultures of your world?

What is the exchange rate for your local currencies?

Does racism exist in your world? How did it get to the point it's at now? If there is no racism, how the heck did your awesome society mange that?!

If magic exist in your world, how powerful can it be? And what is the cost of a really great power?

You sit around a common setting with some of the everyday folk of your world, what sort of legends or fairy tales make up their oral traditions?

What's the fastest form of communication in your world? Instantaneous telepathy or messengers running miles a day?

What is the weirdest or most interesting lifestyle on your world? A priesthood with especially bizarre rituals? Merchants who strive to avoid either profits or deficit?

When a person of importance dies, what are the rituals and ceremonies surrounding the death? How is that different than the death of a citizen?

What is a day in the life of a member of the lower classes?

Tell me about your night sky. What are the constellations like? Any astrology or other such beliefs?

Where did civilization begin? What were the ancients like?

What’s a rude gesture?
How do music and/or dance factor into your world? What are some regional tastes or uses? Are there any societies that use them in ways that would surprise us?

What items are used for cosmetics in your world?

What's an interesting outfit or style of clothing? Ritual, celebratory, everyday wear, anything at all!

In your world, how do the people count the seasons? Do they celebrate the end of the year/calendar? If so, how?

What is the significance of dreams in the cultures of your world?

What are some of your favorite building, crafting or manufacturing materials on your world? They don't have to be special, just special to you.

Are there unique units of measure in your world? What's the standard measure for time? Distance? Volume? Weight?

What are some of the ongoing 'unsolved mysteries' or your world. Like, the Bermuda Triangle or Bigfoot. Things that may just be rumors, or have lurid urban legends surrounding them, even if the answer might be something mundane.

What are some really interesting landscapes from your world? Beautiful, stark, starkly beautiful, just peculiarly pleasant, historically significant or new and strange, your call.

What is the most abused drug in your universe?

Is justice in your world just? How so?

Are there philosophies in your world? Competing ideologies?

What's the main (or one of the main) styles of warfare on your world? If not full-scale war, the next biggest thing? If not violence per se, then what's the main form of conflict?

What qualities (good and bad) are most often found in your world's upper elite (rich, famous, heroes, celebrities, rulers, etc.)

What world/region specific curses or phrases are commonly used?

Who is the most well-known individual (or perhaps group of people) in your world? Why?

Free choice, talk about any worldbuilding subject you want, but it has to be written in the voice of one of the setting's characters.

How many cities are in your world and how do they differ from one another?

Do the peoples in your world aspire to better themselves, to advance their civilization?

What are some of the biggest social fouls in your world's cultures? You know, those things that you just don't do?

Describe two unique creatures in your world. One that is good or harmless and another that poses a threat.

What's a key field of science, technology, or study in your world? If you have magic, does it compliment, undermine or have no impact on this field?

Describe a palace your world has. Or at least a very nice building.

Does your world have any plants with strange or magical properties?
What's one of the most popular languages in your world, and what are some of its unique grammatical properties?

I love evil cults. Tell me about a nasty one.

Let's go meta! What's the role of literature in your world? Does it even have one? Go as big or small with this as you like--one author's works or the overarching literary themes of the entire planet.

What's the role of family in your world? How valued are parents and children and so forth?

Tell me about the health care system in your world.

Is cheating a social norm, or is it a terrible betrayal? Is it handled differently if a man cheats vs. if a woman cheats? How loose is your society, and what is considered unacceptable relationship?

What does the process of courtship look like in your world, if there is one? Marriage customs or traditions? Weddings? Etc.

Tell us about some fun relics from your world. They don't have to the geometrically-perfect weapons of a disappeared Elder Race--if it's really old and maybe just a little mysterious, that's relic enough!

How important are merchants in your world? Do they have true power and status, or do they make up a wealthy but socially scorned class (as in medieval Japan)?

What secrets do your world's governing bodies have from the people? Is there anything that could bring society crashing down if it were revealed?

Does your world recognize mental illness? Do they help people who are unstable? Or do they label people with cute names like 'mad hatters', or maybe discard those people altogether?

What are some big ol' rip-roaring celebrations in your world? Or little, charming celebrations, those are good too.

Tell me a story of what happens when people anger gods. Are there gods? Or merely the powerful who pretend to be?

Incarceration. How is it handled? Prisons aren't supposed to be fun, but are there any ways yours are particularly nasty?

How is sexual identity handled? Is it a problem? Is it accepted?

Think about the "Boss" characters from your work. What music would they have as their personal soundtrack, and why? You don't need to go note by note, but how does the song express the character and the world they live in?

When people in your world grow up, what is the most common dream they have? And how does it evolve as they grow up into the adult, real world?

What kind of role does Fauna play in your book? Do you have any magical or unique? If so describe them.

If your MC could change one thing in your world, what would they change and why?

What piece of technology would your world be lost without?

What's the main form of transportation in your world?

Describe a day in the life of an ordinary, working-class person in your setting. No one heroic or interesting. :p

What are the fashion trends of your world?

What is the most dangerous animal in your world?

How are children educated in your world. Home school, apprenticeships, community day schools, boarding schools? Is school required, forced, punished?

Last edited:

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
:D :clap:

Thanks for making this awesome list. I'll print it and think about these interesting questions.

Last edited:

JohnLine

Owns a pen.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm... The only one I can think of is "The Money Changer" who's sort of like the Charon, the boatman of the underworld, on my world. He trades people their integral traits for a second chance on life. Famously, he brought back a tyrannical Prince as a rat, and reincarnated the Queen of the Oru as an enormous dragon, which then laid waste the Oru's homeland.

What are the fashion trends of your world?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In my series Sycomes the most fashionable color is green because of the Green Star, a beloved man-made star.

Masel

Registered
Reaction score

On this planet the human settlers have found pits with the bones of huge cat-like animals. None of the current animals seem tough enough to have completely wiped out such a formidable creature. Could it be the scaled critters that eat bugs?

Question: How are children educated in your world. Home school, apprenticeships, community day schools, boarding schools? Is school required, forced, punished?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Grandmothers do an enormous amount of teaching. It's really up to the older females to show the younger females home-knowledge. Things like which medicines you can make from berryweed, how to peel hard boiled eggs quickly, and how to get stains out of bedding. The women have a very important job to do, because they manage the household. It's important to know how to make salves at home, how to sew, how to cook, etc.

School is not really a thing. There are apprenticeships for those who want to learn an advanced craft. Those are rarer and most people don't really want to have an apprenticeship. Many families that have a skill pass the skill to their youth. A blacksmith will start teaching his 4 year old son his craft before he takes on an apprentice.

The scribes are educated, but they go through years of hard training at the palace.

What culture does your MC identify with? Name two things your MC loves about their culture and one thing they dislike.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What culture does your MC identify with? Name two things your MC loves about their culture and one thing they dislike.

Note: This is from my steppepunk setting mentioned all the way back in post #10, not my City of the Dead setting.

Xavhi is a member of the Blue Horse Nau, a prestigious clan within the larger Nau tribe, which is one of the three major tribes ruling over the nation of Mixuníth. 'Nation' is still an odd concept to most tribespeople, despite there being a king they've owned some fealty to for nearly two centuries. Xavhi, and any other Nau tribesperson for that matter, would tell you the Nau are clearly the best, having neither abandoned the ways of the steppe like the Xuhazno while remaining more peaceful and sophisticated then the Ubixi.

Xahvi loves his tribe for their freedom and their fairness, both qualities bred into them by life on the steppe. The culture of the Nau is largely meritocratic and based on consensus, with a remarkable degree of equality between genders (Heh, check your history books, this is common to all steppe cultures). And they have very little tolerance for tyrants or incompetent rulers, feeling no need to follow them where they can just ride off whenever they like. It's a harsh life, but a good one.

As for something he dislikes, Xahvi, is a recent (but ambivalent) covert to the monotheistic Zelé religion. Conversion has been piecemeal among the Nau, and he worries the division is growing between the pagans and those touched by the Calm. He sees no future in gods and ancestors, and worries his people's devotion to the past will destroy them. After all, life is tenuous and everything is changing, and already the need for an indelible past has become a gnawing hunger in some of his kinsmen.

Question: How are the dead interred and honored in your setting?

Last edited:

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In my world that takes place in another dimension, the dead can be buried or turned into microscopic particles. It is considered most honorable if they are turned into the particles, because burying the dead allows the bodies to be decayed, while if turned into particles, they can't decay.

What types of ruler exists? A King/ Queen, a empire, a president, etc.

Will Collins

Will Collins
Registered
Reaction score
In my Realmers Series there are several High-Masters who are each in charge of a training stronghold for demon hunters on each of the different worlds. They are the de facto rulers as there's not officially one person in charge. Although Vanderain, who's in charge of the main demon hunter school, is thought of as the leader of all these High-Masters.

What unique traits does your world possess? Weather/terrain etc.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
It's a high fantasy setting with swords, magic, demons, and knights. The most advanced technologies are merchant's speed ships, telescopes, and full body armor. Aaaaaaaaaand revolvers. :D

The revolver doesn't fit in the world intentionally. The legend goes that during the Dark Era, demons had overrun the content and humans had to live small isolated communities in fear of being preyed on. The humans were pushed so far north into the cold, that they banded together and started their own demon-killing militia. They also had the power of the Holy Oracle on their side. In a big, long, drawn out battle, the demon-killing militia was slaughtered. All but one man. The Oracle saw this last man's determination and was so moved by it, that she reached forward in time and grabbed a valuable weapon of the future. She brought it back to that one last soldier. The last soldier, now armed with a killing machine, slaughtered an army of demons with the first ever revolver.

The temple studied the revolver and made copies. Now, they arm their warriors with revolvers to hunt demons. It's a holy thing to wield a revolver. Average citizens are not allowed to touch or hold them. If a temple warrior dies, his revolver is lay to rest with him. They are holy items as well as ultimate killing weapons. They're also slightly different than modern revolvers, because the temple has copied them over so many generations.

It's LoTR with guns. I mean...nothing is really unique, but I hope it's unique enough. :D

What's the most advanced weapon your society has? (Yes, magic counts as a weapon...but give us the nasty details of those death spells.)

Northborn Swordsman

Somehow still standing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
northbornsword.blog
What's the most advanced weapon your society has?

My favorite kind of question! As far as the most advanced, that really changes based on world era. I guess I'll just throw out three of the main examples?

Circa 1300 V.R.: the most advanced weapons are the personal armaments of Inquisitors in the Vigil. These include enchantments and scientific principles centuries ahead of the wider world. Exactly what that looks like depends on the individual Inquisitor's tastes. Inquisitor Kaning's halberd is the most terrifying example, which aside from being a halberd has the single highest enchantment count in the world. It has micro-vibrations which helps its blade chop through targets, a prototype of what Kaning calls "the Breaching Ward," basically an anti-ward specialized to go through other wards, a two-stage kinetic energy enchantment on its hook which branches out through the victim on impact and rips loose when he removes the blade, and a negative-energy spell on its point which scrambles the existential properties of anything it impales. For example, after spiking someone in the gut, the negative energy may cause some of their atoms to lose cohesion, aggressive necrosis which spreads even after the halberd is removed, or basically anything which goes against the "nature" of a living organic being. All this comes on top of a vaguely ice-colored crystalline metal from which all Vigil weapons in the era seem to be forged, and enchantments to bolster that metal's strength and hardness.

Circa 1800 V.R.: the most advanced weapon in the world is the Teman self-loading ballista, which has a complex mechanical cocking system, a steam-powered chassis, and a suite of fire-control enchantments allowing it to precisely lock on to and target signaling bulbs carried by Teman officers. Each ballista has a primitive sort of computer which calculates a bolt's angle at a given speed and azimuth, a kinetic-energy enchantment which can provide up to triple again the ballista's pure mechanical power or alternatively reduce it for close-range indirect fire, a Ward of Presence to stop both counter-battery fire and enemy magecraft, and a number of spell-based payloads. These include the obvious fun ones like shrapnel and incendiaries, as well as more insidious things like an extremely slow-acting nerve-agent spell, which doesn't start producing gas until hours later but has to be dispelled area-by-area.

Circa 2250 V.R.: the most advanced weapon in the world is Stoßdär's Gross Cosen ("Great Cosen", a Stoßdärer king of no small importance) Naval Spegun. It's effectively an arcane gauss rifle, using both direct kinetic energy (for forward momentum only) and magnetism (extra oomph, spin, and finer accuracy) to launch pure-tech or arcane shells any distance necessary. It uses modern-level computer fire control to pick out targets marked by forward observers, and its enchantments are nuanced enough it can curve shells for extra precision or to decrease the chance of interception (military mages in this era are outrageously powerful, and some might even be able to stop a shell). The shells themselves come with a modular enchantment covering any possible engagement scenarios; individual effects are touch-activated during loading. It's mounted in dual-mount turrets both top and underside of aerial battleships. These are nearly impossible to shoot down by virtue of being held aloft through hovering enchantments applied directly to their hulls.

What's the role of ideology for your world's warriors? Do they have ideologies, as such, and if so how consistent are they about following it?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
What unique traits does your world possess? Weather/terrain etc.

In my fantasy series, lava covers everything -- almost like a giant ocean-- and the only land masses are islands.

What extreme weather is considered the most dangerous. Tornadoes? Hurricanes? Blizzards? Or something else that you made up?

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
What extreme weather is considered the most dangerous. Tornadoes? Hurricanes? Blizzards? Or something else that you made up?
Ki'Riogi Storms, weather inhabited by fragments of the dead gods. They're usually such grand weather patterns that they can't really be detected from the ground, but they occasionally coalesce into ocean dredging, trench digging storms that can and will turn people into paste.

What would another country stereotype your main culture’s people as? (their hat, so to speak)

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
What's the role of ideology for your world's warriors? Do they have ideologies, as such, and if so how consistent are they about following it?

The badge of pride in a warrior of Anei is to live a life of service, in comitatus to a ruler. They openly sneer at mercenaries, and there can be a very difficult adjustment period for those who have to leave the Guard and find another way to make a living.

The warriors have something of a culture of reverence for their horses. They treat them almost as equals, and won’t have any truck with lesser pack animals—especially mules, which they regard as an affront to the pure spirit of the horse. (This is unfortunate, as mules would certainly increase the efficiency of their supply trains.) When a horse reaches the end of useful life, warriors enjoy taking the aged animal out to the open steppe and setting it free, with ceremony, as a falconer might do with an older bird.

Sadly, the warriors themselves don't tend to enjoy such treatment in their old age, unless they're lucky enough and good enough to become a master at the academy. When one can no longer fight she's left to her own devices, usually peniless.

What would another country stereotype your main culture’s people as? (their hat, so to speak)

(I don't understand "their hat", but...)

Women have a very prominent role in Anei, due in various ways to the influence of the Princess Lantern, a very powerful enchanted relic that emphasizes the feminine. The ancient Greeks were disturbed enough by the idea of women warriors on the steppe to invent the myth of the Amazons; I imagine some of the people of the empires surrounding Anei would sneer at the idea of women holding the reins of power and fighting in battle, and perhaps stereotype the Aneians as a bunch of spineless men who allow their crazed females to run the show. Children might even speak of Aneian women eating their mates when they were finished with them, or feeding the men to lions, or other such xenophobic stories.

Question: Has a close encounter or other contact brought some new, devastating disease into your society? How did people cope with it?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
In one of my series, a dimension-destroying disease began to eat at Earth's dimension and the humans coped with it by... well, another dimension handled this problem by inviting the humans to live in their dimension which couldn't be devoured by the Evil Virus.

What's the most populated spot in your world?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
What's the most populated spot in your world?

Why, the City of the Dead, of course. Depends on if the population has to be alive or not. Still, it's not even a contest, we're talking a city with anywhere between 15-20 million people in an otherwise Bronze Age setting where the next biggest has, dunno, 80k.

In my steppepunk setting, the most populated nation is probably Kipset or Yadeci, far away from the steppes on the shore of the Summer Sea. Very old cultures with long histories of cosmopolitan settlement. In and around the steppes, the big cities are Shulki, Meyoš, and Riqir, all hovering around or slightly over the 100k mark (with very few other large settlements between them).

What's a religion people don't practice anymore?

Aerythia

Registered
Reaction score
What's a religion people don't practice anymore?

The worship of Rae, Mother of All. She was a Goddess who lived among her beloved people, forming friendships and even closer relationships with them. It was one of those relationships, with a beautiful, ambitious, ruthless Aeryth named Astoren that ultimately led to her downfall and imprisonment. Astoren then spent the next 500 years wiping out any mention of her deeds, going so far as to change the language of the land to ensure she was forgotten. Now no-one even knows her name...

What are the major trading hubs within your world?

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Barburna is the main trading port. Their main imports are through ships. They receive shipments from all over the world. Many stone slabs are transported via ship, and the rare stones and marbles come to Barburna. It's too much trouble to transport the stone any further, so many stone workers end up moving to Barburna. Lots of skilled stone carvers and sculptors reside there. The city is dripping in statues and gorgeous stonework.

Huge sailor scene, so naturally there's lots of entertainment. Musicians, dancers, courtesans, playwrights and actors flock to Barburna. There are lots of industries in Barburna. There's also the famous trading post that's only a mile out of the city. Years ago, it started as a simple gathering of trading caravans, but after time an inn popped up. Then a stable. Then someone drilled a well. The Barburna Trading Post is it's own little town. Much calmer than the actual city of Barburna, but still a thriving place with permanent markets and a little trading square and food.

Another place is at the southern border. Even though there's been a war for several years, the merchants know what's good for business and what's not good for business. There are a group of merchants that still cross the border into en'Aleryia and trade goods. It's a little risky, but it's worth it because no one else is peddling desert mead or hemp rope anymore, so they do what they must.

Tell me about some rare or valued imports. What do the wealthy folk indulge in?

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com
Rawvett is a type of rock that floats on lava. (made it up). It isn't a gemstone, just a plain rock full of air holes. But since the ocean is made of lava and the only way to get from island to island is by boat, rawvett is highly valued, despite it being common.

What is a common household pet in your world?

Robots

In the future where will I be ?
Registered
Reaction score
Genetically engineered rodents

Is the weather controllable by the inhabitants of your world ?