Early 19th/20th C Female SF/F authors you may never have heard of (I hadn't)

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
So a Twitter thread related to the history of the genre came across my feed the other day. I don't want to go into too much detail because it was a bit fractious but I did pick up this factoid: there were a lot of women writing in those early days that don't get talked about today.

So for both my own reference and for anyone else who might be interested, I figure I'll list those that were mentioned here. Where there are public domain editions of their work available, I'll link those too (I haven't checked for in-print editions of all of them but those are likely to be rare).

Jane C. Loudon (1807-1858)

Louden mostly wrote gardening manuals but her novel, The Mummy, predated Jules Verne and is set in an imagined 22nd century. (Project Gutenberg texts - LibriVox audiobook)

Gertrude Barrows Bennett (pseudonym: Francis Stephens) (1884-1948)

Has been called "the woman who invented dark fantasy" and may have been an influence for Lovecraft. She wrote shorts and novels throughout her life and was the first American woman to be widely published in the genre. (Etext editions of her novels are scattered about the web; the most convenient source appears to be Manybooks which offers three novels: Cidatel of Fear, The Heads of Cerberus and Friend Island.)

Claire Wagner Harris (1891-1968)

Harris was a prolific short writer, published in Amazing Stories and a handful of other pulp magazines. She was the first woman to do so under her own name. (Some back issues of those magazines can be found on the Internet Archive and a number of her stories have been reprinted in various anthologies. The complete collection, Away from the Here and Now, doesn't look to be in print anywhere.)

Charlotte Haldane (1894-1969)

An outspoken activist and feminist as well as a prolific novelist, she is best known for the dystopian novel Man's World which envisions a society ruled by a male scientific elite that tightly control women's lives.

Katharine Burdekin (1896-1963)

As a novelist, Burdekin had wide range but she is best known for her utopian/dystopian works which were strongly feminist and anti-fascist. Her best known novel, Swastika Night, envisions a future where the Axis succeeded in taking over the world (before WWII had officially started).

Last edited:

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Another woman writer who published in Weird Tales and Astounding Science Fiction in the 30s and 40s was CL Moore (1911-1987). She created Jirel of Jorey, who is considered to be the first female protagonist in Sword and Sorcery. She lived a bit later than the women you mentioned, though.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Another woman writer who published in Weird Tales and Astounding Science Fiction in the 30s and 40s was CL Moore (1911-1987). She created Jirel of Jorey, who is considered to be the first female protagonist in Sword and Sorcery. She lived a bit later than the women you mentioned, though.

I'm working on a thing for an editor and one of the authors he mentioned was CL Moore. (Along with Leigh Brackett and some men-folk.)

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Roughly concurrent with Moore was Andre Norton, who started publishing in the 30s. Her work across fantasy & space opera helped shape the genre.

Hey, you beat me to it by mere seconds!

Leigh Brackett is absolutely one of the best SF authors who ever lived, there's a rather thoughtful essay here on some of her works. Also, she wrote the first draft of Empire Strikes Back, IIRC.

I had never heard of any of these authors, thank you. Particularly interested in CW Harris. :)

Last edited:

Aquarianhelix

Registered
Reaction score
There is also Lady Florence Dixie who wrote Gloriana in 1890.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Kate Wilhelm, who will be sorely missed. She was one of the founders of Clarion and of Milford workshops.

Her Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang had a profound effect on me as a teen. She also wrote mysteries as Barbara Holloway.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It took me forever to remember Sylvia Townsend Warner and her Kingdoms of Elfin, I know we're drifting in the 70's but I figure it's ok. Beautiful and weird, really stirred me up when I read it in my early twenties.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Roughly concurrent with Moore was Andre Norton, who started publishing in the 30s. Her work across fantasy & space opera helped shape the genre.

She was also the first woman to be given the Grand Master award by the SFWA.

I think Norton is relatively well known compared to the other names being passed around? I've only read one book of hers (without realizing it was a her, I suspect) and it was a random pick from a tiny, nigh-rural library. I've also seen her mentioned in other lists of major authors, female-specific and otherwise.

Not complaining, just an observation.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I think Norton is relatively well known compared to the other names being passed around? I've only read one book of hers (without realizing it was a her, I suspect) and it was a random pick from a tiny, nigh-rural library. I've also seen her mentioned in other lists of major authors, female-specific and otherwise.

Not complaining, just an observation.

I think she is too, though her work generally gets left off those lists of SF and F everyone should read. Those still tend to be very dominated by men, especially when they rely of fans and readers to nominate books or authors. There was a guardian poll some years back where only 18 of the 500 the titles nominated were by women. The US isn't that much better. The majority of authors and titles people think of first tend to be men as well. Even much more recent, and bestselling, women writers, tend to be overlooked. I don't think it's because their work isn't as good overall as that of the male writers.

When it comes to women from the earlier days of the genre, few get remembered at all.