• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Should I format properly on the first draft?

majordan92

Registered
Reaction score
Right now I am writing a novel based on a concept that's been floating around my mind. I'm going to write it longhand and only focusing on getting the words on the page. I wanted to know if I should still have proper formatting. I know it's only a first draft and it's not going to be perfect, and I have to revise and edit later, but I should still apply proper formatting?

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would. It will save you a lot of time later, and it's just as easy to do it that way.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I don’t. Word files get larger every time you edit them. I keep my chapters as separate files until I’m pretty comfortable that there won’t be too many more edits.

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Do whichever way helps you finish the draft. Seriously, everything else is less important.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm formatted for E-Publishing, so if I do decide to query an agent I will have to change my format, but in word it's really simple to do that. When I first started writing I was formatted for the double space and for the traditional agent specs, but it really bothered my eyes with the double spacing so I had to alter it.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Whether you format carefully now or later, make sure that you set up your file(s) so that you will be able to easily update the formatting later when you need to. Whatever app you're using -- Word, Scrivener, something else -- use the tools it provides to set your formatting globally so if, for instance, you need to change how your paragraphs are indented and spaced you will be able to make make the change once and not ten thousand times. In Word, this means using a stylesheet, not manual formatting. Templates are also a good idea -- set up one in your favorite tool and use it for all your files so the formatting is consistent.

But I'm a bit confused. If you're going to be writing your first draft longhand, why are you even thinking about formatting at all? As long as your manuscript is a longhand draft on paper, formatting is irrelevant. Don't worry about it until the time comes to transfer your work into something electronic.