“As the song says: ‘I know, I simply do not understand’.”

Did I get it right?

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Agree with lizmonster:

“As the song says: ‘I know, I simply do not understand.’”

That's the U.S. convention. Be aware that the U.K. convention reverses the roles of the single and double quotation marks (in addition to calling them "inverted commas"); thus:

'As the song says: "I know, I simply do not understand."'

caw

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
In the UK I would leave the period outside the "quoted quotes" (and call it a full...stop)

I don't think you're quoting the line from the song as a complete sentence, more a sentiment, so the period concludes the speaker's sentence so I would write

'As the song says: "I know, I simply do not understand".' for the UK

In the US I think the convention would include the period in the quote, so

“As the song says: ‘I know, I simply do not understand.’” for the US

I have absolutely no idea about Iceland I'm afraid

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am writing in English.

Unfortunately, "English" isn't enough information for the best punctuation advice. It matters in which country you wish to be published.

Not the way it should be, but it is the way it is. :Shrug:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
A song is an inanimate thing; it cannot say anything. I'd use as the song goes.... Also, I'd double check those lyrics (if it is a real song). I could not find the song via Googling lyrics and the words your quoted.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Unfortunately, "English" isn't enough information for the best punctuation advice. It matters in which country you wish to be published.

Not the way it should be, but it is the way it is. :Shrug:

Chase is right. In the US, a period always goes inside the close quotes, while in the UK it only goes inside quotes if it is the terminal punctuation in the quoted sentence.

To make things more confusing, question and exclamation marks in the US do go outside the quotes if they are not actually part of the quoted sentence.

I've no idea why things evolved that way. I assume an editor at a US publishing house will fix British-style punctuation norms in accepted manuscripts, and vice versa.

A song is an inanimate thing; it cannot say anything. I'd use as the song goes.... Also, I'd double check those lyrics (if it is a real song). I could not find the song via Googling lyrics and the words your quoted.

I think this is semantic hair splitting. Whether or not a song literally "says" something is irrelevant when we are talking about representing the way people actually express ideas. Plenty of idioms, and even more formal expressions, are not logical in a literal sense.

Last edited:

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com

That wasn't what the OP asked about. ..and how do you know what vocabulary the character might use? It might be perfectly appropriate for him or her to use words imprecisely. It also might not be a song that exists in this world, for the abovementioned copyright issue.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is semantic hair splitting. Whether or not a song literally "says" something is irrelevant when we are talking about representing the way people actually express ideas. Plenty of idioms, and even more formal expressions, are not logical in a literal sense.

It's possible the OP will get called on this with an agent or editor. It's the OP's choice to use the info or not. I thought I'd point it out, because no one else did.

That wasn't what the OP asked about. ..and how do you know what vocabulary the character might use? It might be perfectly appropriate for him or her to use words imprecisely. It also might not be a song that exists in this world, for the abovementioned copyright issue.

No one pointed out what an agent or editor might criticize the OP about (or give reason to turn the work down). OP's choice to follow it or not. As per the song, it is something an agent or editor might point out as well. OP's choice to consider it or not. My point had nothing to do with copyright. It pertained to something that might turn an agent or editor off. Might is a strong word; it may not even be a concern to anyone. At least allow the OP to make a decision if the information is worthy of consideration.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
No agent or editor worth the title is going to turn down a MS because of a small grammatical dispute.

If it is not the only problem, or just one of a few, small things, likely not. If either (or both) of the matters are part of a list where these tip it into the pass category, it's something to consider for the OP.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
If it is not the only problem, or just one of a few, small things, likely not. If either (or both) of the matters are part of a list where these tip it into the pass category, it's something to consider for the OP.

I know and have known a LOT of agents and editors.

I don't know a single one who would reject a book because of a punctuation issue like this.

It's a small thing. It's better to get punctuation right, of course: but a misplaced quote-mark is not a matter for rejection.