Book Club - Next Level

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I wanted to gather sugestions on how to take it upon ourselves to make the world a little smaller. Specifically, to set out to read a book together for discussion here on the AW Book Club Forum.

Discussing it is easy - you people can't shut up. Selecting the book is the thing. Shall I do it dictatorily? I could, but as nasty as my reputation may lead you to believe I am, it doesn't sound like all that much fun.

We could have a quick poll to include a few selections. But where to get them?

Anyway, you see my dilemma. Fix it. What should we do?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps post a list of possibilities the interested parties can vote on. Then you can tally the votes and announce the winner. Give us a timeframe by which to finish and discuss.

Where to get the initial list from? No idea. Ask for some suggestions here first? Maybe each month can be a different genre. Or you could go with the best seller lists, lists of winners from recent prestigious contests (from what country? dunno), lists of classic favourites.

I'm sure I was no help at all.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Perks said:
Why can't you? Who says?

I thought you couldn't start something about your own book -- that is to prevent abuse.

Anyway, I am starting a book club discussion on the Pacific Between. :) So if anyone is interested...

If this post is deemed inappropriate, I will delete it.

Thanks!

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
You should select the book, Perks, however, you should also ensure you've got enough people onboard who will buy, rent or check out the book from a library, as part of this club. Ironclad people -- eight or so -- who are really onboard with the idea. Commit them to the process, show that process works and that will, in turn, attract others.

There's ALWAYS concensus when something's in the high-minded "let's all get onboard" stage. EVerybody believes it a good idea and wants to be supportive. Human nature. However, when the boat's ready to pitch away from the dock, there are surprising few sailors who are on deck. (And feel free to insert any Seamen jokes you may have stirring in your cockles)

Ultimately, the Mod should dictate the reading material (with suggestions from the club) and also guide the cirriculum. It helps keep things on track and ensures that everyone gets the right message.

Also, off topic, I have a suggestion for a new forum area: AbWr book exchange. Much like PeerFlix, you simply post a list of books you're willing to part with. If someone sees a book he wants, he PMs the person with the books and gets the particulars. Postage and like coul be worked out by the two parties. Not an auction. Not a sale. A one-for-one trading system.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Anyway, I am starting a book club discussion on the Pacific Between. So if anyone is interested...
I'm in -- but I need a week for postage and handling (the book, that is). Wife's birthday is coming up!

(Hey -- how do book clubs work? Do you discuss as you go, or wait until everyone's finished? I'm such a rube.)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
jst5150 said:
Also, off topic, I have a suggestion for a new forum area: AbWr book exchange. Much like PeerFlix, you simply post a list of books you're willing to part with. If someone sees a book he wants, he PMs the person with the books and gets the particulars. Postage and like coul be worked out by the two parties. Not an auction. Not a sale. A one-for-one trading system.
Great idea. Sadly, the cost might be too prohibitive to and from my area.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
poetinahat said:
(Hey -- how do book clubs work? Do you discuss as you go, or wait until everyone's finished? I'm such a rube.)

The ones at my local libraries or private book clubs... you read the book in advance, then on a designated date, you get together and discuss it. There are usually topics and questions already thought out, but of course, random discussions are encouraged, too. One local book club only discusses books that have been made into movies -- they'd read the book, then watch the movie, then discuss and compare both. Sounds very interesting.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
maestrowork said:
You read the book in advance, then on a designated date, you get together and discuss it. There are usually topics and questions already thought out, but of course, random discussions are encouraged, too.

This sounds eeriely like ... COLLEGE! :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
It does, but it's a good thing. At least no one is required to write a book report. ;) I think the idea is to make sure everyone is on the same page (pun not intended) to encourage participation.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
poetinahat said:
It usually works best once everyone's all done. And since it's my house... ;)

So, now I need to come up with a poll selection of a few titles. I'll get to it and hopefully post the poll tomorrow. Maybe I'll link the book to a blurb or something like that and then in a few days we'll have our first selection.

Do you guys think, once the volume is decided, that two weeks would be enough? I don't want to wait too long, because people forget.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Two weeks is plenty. You might also want to switch genres from selection to selection and build a schedule. If you schedule genres (not necessarily titles) in advance, that'll draw interest from all areas of the Forum.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ah! Good idea. I'm thinking for this first one, I'll poll with a title from mainstream bestseller, maybe a classic, maybe a thriller and a non-fiction or something and see what generates the most votes.

Sound like a plan?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent. Can I vote against 'Soul Mountain'?

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
... and imagine the thread of rebuke if you chose 'Da Vinci Code' out of the gate (thought with the debut of the movie, not a bad idea). I'll pat myself on the back for that one later. ;-)

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Lord have mercy, I'd be relieved of my moderator stripes. I'm thinking that one's been talked to death.

Shame on you Jason.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Then suggest its better kissing cousin -- "The Name of the Rose" by Umberto Eco

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pendulum! Hooray!
(Give us more than two weeks, though.)

A friend of mine has read both FP and DVC; he describes DVC as "FP For Dummies". I haven't read it yet, so I couldn't say.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Umberto Eco is tough sledding regardless.

I might also suggest having some guidelines and specifics about what will be discussed -- perhaps four or five areas of review. Not sure how other cliques do this, but maybe substance, writing, pace, flow, impact or something along those lines.

Also, I'd create an AbWr grading system for book reviews now before someone institutes stars, thumbs or chili peppers.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I am not sure the purpose of these discussions are... are we discussing them from a writer's point of view (how well it's written, POV, pacing, etc.) or from a reader's point of view (the story is blah blah blah, the characters are blah blah blah). I don't think we're writing "reviews" here...

Usually discussions are framed in a set of questions such as "author X talks about the death of Y, and the theme of death is prominent throughout the whole story. What do you think that means?" Etc. Etc.

Obviously, we don't have to do that kind of discussions. A free from discussion would be very interesting. However, I think some guidelines would be very helpful, and if it's facilitated, even better.

jst5150

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
True, but at some point, someone's gonna give it a grade ("Overall, I thought Curious George eats a 3-toed sloth was palpitating!"). Better to be prepared for that than not. Also important to note, for clarity's sake, I used the term "areas of review," vice asking for a review of the tome. Don't want to anger the Ray Gods.

Last edited: