Getting your mind off writing

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was just curious what your go-to's are for getting your mind off writing. Many of us have a tendency to constantly be thinking about it, even while reading, watching tv, etc. I find that video games is one of the only things that straight up shuts my mind down from everything else. I try to make sure I play a couple times a week because of this.

Thanks!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had more time to spend thinking about writing. I have so many things going on and not enough time for all of them that it's not hard for me to be thinking of something else ;)
I too like video games to relax.

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
Well, it could also be when you finish a project and need to decompress. In-between long stints of editing a draft or while my CP's are reading I try to put my laptop away for a few days and focus on other things. Especially reading, as I find it rejuvenates my brain a bit.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
This thread will likely be moved to Office Party subforum. New Members forum is for introductions, mainly.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I have to recall something later, before I can not be bothered by it, if it is germane to writing or the writing process. I tend to play UpWords (stackable Scrabble on the PC), watch YouTube content, or just about anything else to keep my mind off of my WIP.

I learned, from culinary school, a great trick. Carry a small spiral notepad (actual paper type) and a pen with you, wherever you go, at all times. When an idea comes, jot it down. Boom, you don't have to worry about it.

I do this in movies. If something interesting, scenewise, jumps out at me, I write it down and make some comments as to what I felt watching it. I re-read later, and I may get inspiration from it. Sit next to the aisle, where there are foot lights.

This is good for running errands (checklist of things to do). Good to get people's contacts, if you do not have a business card, other.

I keep one of these at my bed, for when I wake in the middle of the night to jot down something interesting in a dream.

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
I typically keep lists like this in the "notes" app on my phone, or I just write it in an email to myself and save it to drafts.

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
Video games help a lot to take my mind off of writing, especially if it's something simple like a Mario or Pokemon game. Nothing with a storyline that I could get sucked in and take inspiration from XD

averydarkword

Cat lover
Registered
Reaction score
My main hobbie is to play computer games but in the most cases I get tilted from it xD.
But yes I kinda agree that even if I'm doing something else I'm always having new ideas to write.

JJ Crafts

Registered
Reaction score
I read when I can successfully turn my brain off. But when I can't concentrate on the story I'm reading because of writing then..... Eh. I try to shift to a different story idea just for some change. Watching sports is another thing that helps me stop too.